Re-enable after archive and re-assign to different user?

matnkat

I have to stop maintaining a cache because I'm moving away so I archived it, then someone has offered to maintain it for me.

Can I re-enable and transfer ownership?

I tried to Enable by editing the cache and clicking Enable but it's still marked as archived.

A cache owner can't unarchive a listing.

They would probably be better off hiding a new cache in that location, and sending it for review.

4.20. My Geocache Needs to be Archived

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

4.21. Unarchive a geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.18. Adopt or transfer a geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I have to stop maintaining a cache because I'm moving away so I archived it, then someone has offered to maintain it for me.

Can I re-enable and transfer ownership?

I tried to Enable by editing the cache and clicking Enable but it's still marked as archived.

If you're looking to "transfer ownership", you're offering this now-archived cache up for adoption.

Probably good to explain to a Reviewer or Groundspeak that it's an adoption request, and not simply asking for unarchived because someone offered to "maintain" it for you, since you're leaving the country.

As TriciaG says, perhaps they will make an exception. :)

You could let the helpful cacher know that the spot is available for them to submit a Listing under their own account. If, by chance, you haven't retrieved the container/logbook yet, you could give it to them to get started with their new cache and Listing.

If they have some sort of sentimental attachment to your original Listing, they can always link to it on their new Listing. It's kind of fun to read through the history of cache placements in an area. Archived Listings can still be viewed on the website.

Good luck with your move!

Many thanks everyone for your replies - I will speak to a Reviewer and ask their advice.

Youve already heard from a reviewer (Keystone). Reread his response because it is gospel.

Keystone's advice is gospel plus he quoted the gospel.

However, he didn't say what the OP wanted to hear, so the OP is looking for a second opinion.

It's always a savvy move to ask for a second opinion - that's the American way!

;)

;)

I love it when someone thinks that something universal belongs to their culture. Asking a second (of which he has more than that now) is a human quality not specific to any nation.

I also am reminded of one of the definitions of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" which is what he will be doing as he seeks his 5th opinion. At some point he needs to realize he has his answer and move on.

Many thanks everyone for your replies - I will speak to a Reviewer and ask their advice.

Youve already heard from a reviewer (Keystone). Reread his response because it is gospel.

Keystone's advice is gospel plus he quoted the gospel.

However, he didn't say what the OP wanted to hear, so the OP is looking for a second opinion.

;)

I believe I'm qualified to give a second opinion.

1. Archived caches cannot be adopted.

2. Archived caches will not be unarchived in order to facilitate an adoption.

;)

I love it when someone thinks that something universal belongs to their culture. Asking a second (of which he has more than that now) is a human quality not specific to any nation.

I have no idea whether I read it right, but I interpreted wmpastor's comment as being a slight against Americans, suggesting they ask for a second opinion only because they don't like the first one regardless of whether there's any reason to think the first opinion isn't definitive. I thought it was specifically a comment on recent political events in the US where lots of people didn't like the results of our national election, so they're all calling for recounts and other kinds of "second opinions".

Anyway, I thought he was agreeing with you, essentially saying we have the answer so you'd have to be a dumb American to ask again hoping to get an answer you like better.

;)

I have no idea whether I read it right, but I interpreted wmpastor's comment as being a slight against Americans, suggesting they ask for a second opinion only because they don't like the first one regardless of whether there's any reason to think the first opinion isn't definitive. I thought it was specifically a comment on recent political events in the US where lots of people didn't like the results of our national election, so they're all calling for recounts and other kinds of "second opinions".

Anyway, I thought he was agreeing with you, essentially saying we have the answer so you'd have to be a dumb American to ask again hoping to get an answer you like better.

Or, it could just be a self-deprecating joke, seeing as wmpastor is also American. I guess he'll let us know if he chooses.