Add DNF icon on Map

drannok & zet

An answer I wrote last year works well here.

That's a feature which has been requested in the past. Unfortunately, unlike the yes or no logic for smilies that's been built into the site from day one, I don't think there's anything built to track and filter caches based on a logged DNF.

Workarounds are possible. The one that comes to my mind is to bookmark your DNF'd caches, pocket query the bookmark, and map those results in third party mapping software, giving them a distinctive icon. Then add all the other caches into that map from your regular pocket query/s, with the regular icons for cache types.

I don't know if someone already suggested this in order to improve the geocaching.com website - I tried to search for it, but could not find a similar topic.

In my opinion it would be a great idea to have the blue DNF smiley on the map as well. For time being a DNF remains as a normal icon Trad, Myst, Multi, or whatever.

But if a member wants to visualize the DNF for an area is almost impossible to have an clear overview of those on our map.

Wouldn't that be great ?

This seems to be the official thread for this suggestion now, so I'll suggest again that this feature remain optional. I wouldn't want blue frown faces to obscure more useful information, like the cache type (which is far more important to me than whether I've tried to search for that particular cache before).

We've already lost the visual cues to whether a cache is PMO or non-PMO. If blue frown faces obscure the cache type, then I'm concerned that it will discourage some geocachers from logging DNFs.

We've already lost the visual cues to whether a cache is PMO or non-PMO. If blue frown faces obscure the cache type, then I'm concerned that it will discourage some geocachers from logging DNFs.

Are you anticipating a poor implementation based on prior experience with icon work on the site? There's no reason this couldn't be implemented in a visually appropriate manner.

Here's a screenshot of an elegant implementation in Cachly where there's no confusion on the cache type and whether I've previously logged a DNF. You can see a DNF in the center as well as a cache that contains corrected coords with the red triangle inside the circle.

103hok1.jpg

Are you anticipating a poor implementation based on prior experience with icon work on the site?
I am anticipating an implementation similar to the existing "My Finds" icon or the existing "My Hides" icon, both of which completely obscure the cache type. In these cases, I don't really care, because the fact that I've found these caches or the fact that I own these caches is more important than the cache type. (Plus, I usually don't display my finds anyway, and I have so few hides that it isn't hard to keep track of what they are.)

No reason that there need be obscuring of the cache type.

Just needs a change the color of the icon to something with a lot of blue, whatever type type. However, as we've been told, there's an issue with the ability to include the logic for this.

It's another example of why some of us rarely use the online site for any sort of planning, preferring instead to use other means (e.g., GSAK + Mapsource or Basecamp) for dealing with the gc.com database and mapping the results.

The online gc.com mapping system may be useful to the casual user, or to a user who isn't interested or able to use other tools, but for the rest of us ......

That's not saying that the gc.com site SHOULD be able to perform the kinds of work we do offline, either. Honestly, it makes more sense to pull in the data from gc.com and manipulate it locally, rather than clobbering their server with some of the more esoteric search/sort/map/export things that many of us wish to accomplish. Had gc.com been the provider of those kinds of offline tools, this would be an entirely different discussion, but that's not where they chose to go in their development of software for the game.

Well for what it's worth I'm also going to ask if Gorundspeak could give us a DNF icon. I can't believe it'd be too difficult to come up with a suitable coloured icon for all the cache types. I suppose there maybe some technical reeasons behind why it's not been implemented.

Personally I find it frustrating when looking around the map to come across an cache icon, in an area you've been to before and then having to click on it to see if it's either a new cache (placed since the previous visit to the area) or a previous failed attempt(a DNF). All my apps can show me. Why not the geocaching.com maps?

Edited by cachingpad