Oregon 700 AutoLogging

baloo&bd

After caching the other day, when I walked into my house, my Oregon 700 logged itself into wifi and did me a favor by uploading all my logs.

Problem is, I only mark them "found" or "not found" and do not log in the field. As a result I have 100 or so logs that only say "Submitted via Garmin Oregon 7xx". Is there a way to change the default text, or even add a default log? Either via the unit or GC?

Had the same issue on my first gc run with my new 750T

Do this:

Settings (hammer and screwdriver)

Geocaching

Geocaching Live

Auto Upload Caches

Off

cache Happy

Yes, I understand I can turn it off, however I was wondering if there was a way to make the feature more useful and utilize it.

Do this:

Geocaching

Geocaching Live

Auto Upload Caches

Off

cache Happy

Yes, I understand I can turn it off, however I was wondering if there was a way to make the feature more useful and utilize it.

I guess I don't understand the use of a default message at all. So turning it off means I can write whatever I want when I am at me computer, with a real keyboard and not a tiny screen for my gorilla paws. I didn't see much reason for sending a default message as I am sitting my driveway when I could send a real thoughtful log at the end of a caching day.

From what I have seen Garmin does things in a way that does not always make sense to me, but apparently makes sense to them, (this as an example).

But yes, if you must send a default log, you should be able to change it to your liking. I have not seen a way to do that, here or anywhere.

Do this:

Geocaching

Geocaching Live

Auto Upload Caches

Off

cache Happy

As a CO, I can't understand any way in which this feature could be considered "useful". If someone is logging all of their finds with the same log and not saying anything about their experience at any given cache, then it really doesn't matter how much thought you put into your default log message. The log really isn't passing along any useful information specific to that cache. Please, just turn this feature off and log each find with a different message.

As a CO, I can't understand any way in which this feature could be considered "useful". If someone is logging all of their finds with the same log and not saying anything about their experience at any given cache, then it really doesn't matter how much thought you put into your default log message. The log really isn't passing along any useful information specific to that cache. Please, just turn this feature off and log each find with a different message.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but thanks for the opinion.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but thanks for the opinion.

I guess it can be taken not as a suggestion for how to make the feature work, but rather as a plea to not use the feature at all. I'd much rather see logs that describe your experience at each cache. That's just my opinion as a CO. If you don't share the same opinion and are fine with auto-logs, then you're free to do things your own way.

• Upvote 1

For what its worth, some folks use the auto-log to come back to the cache page later and expand. It helps to remember the caches without making a special effort if they are a numbers hound and find dozens or hundreds in a day. It also helps keep track of the sequence in the event there is a milestone coming up and a specific cache is targeted.

Edited by TotemLake
  • Helpful 1

For what its worth, some folks use the auto-log to come back to the cache page later and expand. It helps to remember the caches without making a special effort if they are a numbers hound and find dozens or hundreds in a day. It also helps keep track of the sequence in the event there is a milestone coming up and a specific cache is targeted.

Like HHL said, what you describe is exactly what field notes are intended to be used for. If you submit a log and then later edit it, the CO doesn't get notified of the edit. They'd have to go to each listing periodically and see if the log has changed. Now that logs don't get automatically tagged when they get edited, it's even harder to tell which logs have been changed.

"exactly what field notes are intended to be used for"

I keep all my details about the nature and location of the cache in my field notes for annotation after the cache run is complete. I doubt many owners would appreciate having those field notes sent directly to cache logs.

No, but uploading them to the Personal Cache Note area would be wonderful!

I currently just add important notes on the GPSr when logging each cache, and use GSAK publish logs feature to compose actual logs before publishing to GC.com.

To be quite honest as a multi cache owner 100s over various accounts I much prefer a single log of your geocaching adventure rather than easy find ....quick find ...... nice cache  etc etc  A single log of your day time it took you any problems you had if you liked the route the circuit travels  Geocachers .....GET Real  and just do a single informative log that's a pleasure to read

I purchased a 700 recently and have been trying to work out how to either personalise the auto message (useful when power trailing) or to just have it upload my field notes to the website (without cable connection) so I can go through them to write my logs there.

Reading this thread it appears neither is an option ... what a shame.

Edited by Zeryx
On 11/15/2016 at 2:18 PM, baloo&bd said:

I… called Garmin with no luck. The person I talked to agreed it was shortsighted and opened a ticket…

I did the same thing yesterday, and was optimistic about a solution coming soon, until I discovered you attempted the same approach 3-1/2 years ago. UGH.

Maybe if a number of us contacted Garmin Support at 800-800-1020 they might start making it a priority.

The 700 offers the ability to enter log text in the field. The Challenges I faced were that the data field is very brief. Also, occasionally non printable characters would get into the text field and the log would refuse to upload.  I have since turned wifi connecivity off and enter a few reminder words into my found it log. When I get back home I copy the text file to the clipboard on my computer and use it as a checklist to do my online logging using GSAK. The text is stored on your GPS in 2 places.

Garmin oregon700.->garmin->geocache_logs

and

Garmin Oregon 700->garmin->Geocache_visits

visits is a straight text file logs is a html file.

to enter log text in the field,

1.  navigate to the cache

2.  from the navigate screen, select the geocache and then logs ( the notepaper not the smiley/frowny face) 

3.  select found it or did not find it

4.  select edit comment

5.  enter your text and select done

Edited by ras_oscar
57 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

i usually like to expand my logs beyond what is entered into the GPS in the field

That is exactly what GSAK lets you do. 

Use the 'Publish Logs...' feature within GSAK, and it will pull all those notes you entered in the GPSr for each geocache, and present them to you, one at a time, with a huge composition window to enter the actual log information you want to publish to geocaching.com. It even automates dipping travel bugs etc. You can even configure GSAK to recognize 'code words' in your GPSr log like "FAV" to automatically mark as a favorite, or "FTF" to mark as First To Find.

Once you try it, you'll never look back!

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Helpful 1