Caches In My Pocket Query Don't Display on GPS...Why?!

MysteryGuy1

I have a Garmin Etrex 20x. I just began to realize that a number of caches that are in my pocket query are not listed on the GPS. Can anyone help me here? None of them are caches I've found previously. I drove to a spot to look for 4 caches this afternoon and quickly turned around and left in frustration because none of them were displaying. I can't come up with a rational explanation.

In my Oregon 650, I think under geocaching settings, are some filters, where you can select what caches to show - like limiting based on cache type, D:T numbers etc - could those filters have been adjusted?? Mine did once after the GPSr was put in a pocket without screen lock, and these settings were altered.....

I have a Garmin Etrex 20x. I just began to realize that a number of caches that are in my pocket query are not listed on the GPS. Can anyone help me here? None of them are caches I've found previously. I drove to a spot to look for 4 caches this afternoon and quickly turned around and left in frustration because none of them were displaying. I can't come up with a rational explanation.

OK. Was your Garmin switched on well before you arrived at the spot? If not, it will show caches nearest the last location you were at before you switched it off. You may need to give it a few minutes to lock onto satellites then select "Where to?" on your menu and tap/click "Geocaches". You can watch it connect by going to to "Satellites" on your menu screen. When it's finished searching you're good to go.

When you ran your PQ did you get exactly the number of caches you requested, usually 500 or 1000? If so, there are probably more caches available in your search area. When that happens the PQ has to skip loading caches because the limit has been reached. The caches that are skipped are effectively random and are not at the perimeter of the search as one might expect. To insure that you get all the caches in your search area, you can shrink the area until you get slightly less that the limit number. Do this without setting a day to run so the trials don't count against your daily PQ limit.

Another way to determine for sure if the cache in question is in the PQ, is to copy the file to your computer from the GPS, change the file type to TXT and load it in any text editor or word processor. In the editor do a search for the GC number.

Edited by GeoTrekker26