Original Stash help

GroundClutter

I'm leaving for Oregon tomorrow (Saturday) on a marathon driving trip with hubby (who hates geocaching) I have told him that I don't care if he hates it, I AM going to the Original cache site.

Would someone please be kind enough to help me out with directions? We will be coming up I-5. I am assuming I make a turn onto 211. From there, I need help please. After the cache we will be headed for Troutdale. So, directions to get us back on track would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Maybe someone else will have better directions, and I can't tell if you are coming up I-5 from someplace south, or if you are coming from home in British Columbia.

Assuming up means you are coming from the South, taking 211 might be best - I'm not real familiar with it.

If you are coming south, I would get on I-205, and get off at 212/224 (Exit 12) and head east on 212/244, and then continue south on 224 when you get to the point where these two highways split (it's a right hand turn off of 212/224). I would then take a right on S. Springwater Rd, and then another right on S. Redland Rd. before taking a final left on Fellows Rd. Reverse your course out, and head back up 205 North till you get to I-84 east which will run you right through Troutdale.

Hope that helps. Maybe someone else knows a better route?

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

pdx32.gif

Well, since you provided me with quite a few driving directions earlier this summer I'll tell you what my new Garmin GPS V says to do from I-5 (I cured my GPS envy problem icon_wink.gif )

First since you are in BC I assume you're coming DOWN I-5 and not UP icon_razz.gif

Exit 288 to I-205 (10 miles to next ...)

Exit 10 on right to ramp to Hwy 213

Turn right on Hwy 213 (1/2 mile to next)

Turn right on S Redland Rd (11 miles to next)

Turn right on S Fellows Rd (.6 miles to final)

Arrive!

edit: Looks like the co-worker who interrupted me caused me to be 2nd to reply!

[This message was edited by pdxmarathonman on September 12, 2003 at 07:24 PM.]

This may be irrelevent now, but...

The plaque is a cache and has coordinates, so shouldn't you just follow your GPS?

Viola, OR (tiny burg where Fellows Rd turn is) is easy to miss. Just watch your GPS as you get close. And don't forget to find/log my Un-Original cache while there. It's only 75 feet from the plaque.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

icon_smile.gif Matt: Yes, I will certainly follow my GPSr, but we all know how it sometimes can be a bit misleading. As this will literally be a fly-by, I just wanted to make sure I was able to be in the general area before reverting to the GPS. And I have your cache on the list as well!

pdxmarathonman, Pobre Rico et al, thank you very much for your help. The route suggested certainly looks a lot easier/quicker than the one I was planning. I'm very happy I asked for help. I'm really hoping to meet a few cachers along the road trip. I didn't get my Canadian geocoins in time, but I do have a few TB to release. Thanks again everyone!

ARRRGGHHH! I came all the way down here, and got within about 30m of the stash. I couldn't find it!! I tried 2 different routes, one along a walking path, and one bushwacking. Nope. No joy. There must be a better way! I was about to blaze a brand new path through the shrubs, but Murphy had a better idea and decided to give me a low battery signal. Too late now though. We are in the Troutdale Best Western tonight and are heading home tomorrow. It's just too much driving to get back there. You can't imagine my disappointment! I can't believe I came all this way and didn't get to log it. I'm going to cry now, so please look away. I had a travel bug to put in it too!!! I invented a whole pile of new bad words too. I feel sick. really! icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

No I didn't find the plaque! My GPS was pointing about 80m into the bush. We parked at 2 different gravel areas. The first one (first gravel area as we came up the road) led up a muddy cliff. (that was the bushwacking route) I got within 25m before the bush was too dense to go any further.

The second gravel area lead to the paths. I got within 80m there but didn't see any passable areas. I then attempted the Unoriginal cache. Was about 110m away on my third attempt and got a low battery signal. So I retreated to the car, where my very frustrated and totally out of patience husband was waiting. icon_frown.gif

So...I don't know where any of it is hiding, but I am sure that there must have been an easier route in if the guys lugged a brass plaque and cement. Why was my GPS pointing so far away if the plaque was so close to the road?!?!

Wrong Datum?

Incorrect coords?

The second, larger gravel area was the right place. There are various small paths that lead up the hill to where the cache is. The plaque is amongst the ferns right where the flat section begins to become hill beside the parking area, literally 4 or 5 steps from where you can park.

When placing the plaque, we had to clear some ferns, leaving the area plainly visible to anyone passing by. When done, we covered it with fern leaves to prevent accidental finds by someone who might disrupt it. I imagine finders have been covering it back up so it wasn't readily visible.

I'm sorry you didn't find it, but look on the bright side. Now you have a reason to come back icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Oh my God. I was RIGHT THERE!! icon_mad.gif

I downloaded the coords right from Easy GPS, so I'm sure they are right. I can't believe it. dadgum! This trip was pretty much a disaster. We really didn't get to do anything we had set out to do. Crater Lake was totally fogged in when we got there, so that was a bust too. Ok, yes, I did manage to get almost 30 other caches on the trip, but without my Mecca, it's just not as happy as it could have been. Hubby was unconvincingly willing to drive back to the cache tomorrow (we are leaving for home tomorrow) but I don't think we will. We are tired, disappointed, and miss the cat. Another day I guess. Arrghhhh!!! Some days I just hate geocaching. icon_frown.gif