APE Cache Found! Your thoughts?

geocat_

First: congrats to those having spent a lot of thoughts and efforts in finding the original cache box.

And to the marketing team of "Planet of Apes" who sufficiently were able to held the thing in discussion far longer than the movie deserves. :D

For me, having not found any APE cache, it is totally unrelevant if it will be unarchived or not. I won't travel to Brazil or the US just for a cache or an icon anyway. So I won't vote for either option.

However, the cache should only be reactivated at it's original location. All else, i.e. finding an APE cache in a museum at HQ, would be not the right thing.

But considering things, I would let it be - I tend to not unarchieving it. Let the campaign follow it's natural path and end eventually. As far as I understand, there is a replacement cache at the location. So, the space is occupied anyway. The experience of traveling to that location and look for a cache still is possible.

Plus there is a lot of muggling or at least one very ambitious person (or creature?) who does like to damage things. He/she/it will find ways to disturb the game again. As a cache owner I would gibve up such a location soon.

To keep the APE container and it's history without a receivable icon in a display at HQ would be my preferred choice, if I wanted to have one. :)

(if the choice wents the other way, it would not be the end of geocaching to me but just another marketing twist...)

First: congrats to those having spent a lot of thoughts and efforts in finding the original cache box.

And to the marketing team of "Planet of Apes" who sufficiently were able to held the thing in discussion far longer than the movie deserves. :D

For me, having not found any APE cache, it is totally unrelevant if it will be unarchived or not. I won't travel to Brazil or the US just for a cache or an icon anyway. So I won't vote for either option.

However, the cache should only be reactivated at it's original location. All else, i.e. finding an APE cache in a museum at HQ, would be not the right thing.

But considering things, I would let it be - I tend to not unarchieving it. Let the campaign follow it's natural path and end eventually. As far as I understand, there is a replacement cache at the location. So, the space is occupied anyway. The experience of traveling to that location and look for a cache still is possible.

Plus there is a lot of muggling or at least one very ambitious person (or creature?) who does like to damage things. He/she/it will find ways to disturb the game again. As a cache owner I would gibve up such a location soon.

To keep the APE container and it's history without a receivable icon in a display at HQ would be my preferred choice, if I wanted to have one. :)

(if the choice wents the other way, it would not be the end of geocaching to me but just another marketing twist...)

My thoughts exactly.

Any new developments on this? Personally, I don't think Moun10Bike or HQ will un-archive it, and make it available to be logged again unless it's placed back at it's original location. If that were to happen, what would/could be done to ensure that it's not re-taken? A brick and mortar enclosure? Chains and cables?

Like a lot of others I hope something can be worked out and would like to hear specific thoughts on how to make it happen.

Perhaps they could do as was done with the Original Can of Beans; turn it, and the associated recovered items into a Travel Bug and display it at HQ, to be discovered by visitors, and/or to tour to mega-events, geocoin conventions, geo-tours, and other events.

The Original Can of Beans Travel Bug:

O.C.B. TBGJAA

Edited by Baardaasvoel

Perhaps they could do as was done with the Original Can of Beans; turn it, and the associated recovered items into a Travel Bug and display it at HQ, to be discovered by visitors, and/or to tour to mega-events, geocoin conventions, geo-tours, and other events.

The Original Can of Beans Travel Bug:

O.C.B. TBGJAA

The Original Stash was found mutilated, of course with the can of beans. The reason why it was in such bad shape is that a road crew lawnmower tractor drove over it and shredded it. From what I understand, after reading "Archive / Unarchive" rules and/or policies and from discussing this with numerous volunteer reviewers (5), this APE cache is legal to be unarchived. Because, it was not only found FULLY intact, but it was also found with original contents in it. What the blog did not say, is that we found it with the original Planet of the APEs collectors cards in it. As long as the cache is found intact and operational, it's still can be replaced in it's original location. There's no sense in placing it at HQ and then letting people log it when they see it there. That's not going to happen. It has to be replaced in it's original location. I have spoken to the Tribute Cache CO. Hypnopaedia, who will archive his to give room to the original can. We also have a highly sophisticated hi-tech protection system that can easily be implemented. So that the cache can't be just ripped off and if it is ripped off, It will be on State land and we will know who it is before they leave the area. Plus, with all of my work and effort and my team's work and effort, we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

We also have a highly sophisticated hi-tech protection system that can easily be implemented. So that the cache can't be just ripped off and if it is ripped off, It will be on State land and we will know who it is before they leave the area. Plus, with all of my work and effort and my team's work and effort, we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

What do I think? Equipping a $30 ammo can with Lojack and threats of felony arrests is reason enough to leave the darn thing archived.

Just what I think. B)

....found FULLY intact, but it was also found with original contents in it. What the blog did not say, is that we found it with the original Planet of the APEs collectors cards in it. As long as the cache is found intact and operational, it's still can be replaced in it's original location....we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

What I think is that I agree with Manville Possum above me - mmm - felony arrests. That's in the "light fun" spirit of the game.

Also, re, "FULLY intact", my understanding is that recovered was the bottom of can with a few swag items; no lid, no logbook, none of the many trackables.

At one time, Geocaching used a slogan, "the language of location".

As there IS a cache at that location, the reason to unarchive this one is for the stat, the A.P.E. icon.

The absolutely necessary needs of marketing staff has tended to shift the site to emphasize stats: as souvenirs, cache types, numbers of finds, "well rounded" etc.

I think the more the site does this, the less interesting geocaching becomes for all the not stats driven cachers - people who cache for the location and the journey, not so much the count.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

....found FULLY intact, but it was also found with original contents in it. What the blog did not say, is that we found it with the original Planet of the APEs collectors cards in it. As long as the cache is found intact and operational, it's still can be replaced in it's original location....we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

What I think is that I agree with Manville Possum above me - mmm - felony arrests. That's in the "light fun" spirit of the game.

Also, re, "FULLY intact", my understanding is that recovered was the bottom of can with a few swag items; no lid, no logbook, none of the many trackables.

As there IS a cache at that location, the reason to unarchive this one is for the stat, the A.P.E. icon.

The absolutely necessary needs of marketing staff has tended to shift the site to emphasize stats: as souvenirs, cache types, numbers of finds, "well rounded" etc.

I think the more the site does this, the less interesting geocaching becomes for all the not stats driven cachers - people who cache for the location and the journey, not so much the count.

+1

Intended to respond after shoveling more snow, but you pretty-much covered it for me.

Thanks. :)

What do you think?

Geocaching is what you make of it. I am not much of a stats person but the site still has good functionality to help me find interesting caches. Other people being excited about the APE cache has no impact on me and I see no need to harshly denigrate the different ways people individualize this game to suit their own interests.

Geocaching is what you make of it. I am not much of a stats person but the site still has good functionality to help me find interesting caches. Other people being excited about the APE cache has no impact on me and I see no need to harshly denigrate the different ways people individualize this game to suit their own interests.

This.

There are still PLENTY of "interesting" caches to be found, and as long as people are playing who enjoy "interesting" caches who place "interesting" caches, they will always exist, since placing "interesting" caches doesn't affect those who are just in the for the stats (and actually still provides them "interesting" experiences in addition likely to desired stats)

We also have a highly sophisticated hi-tech protection system that can easily be implemented. So that the cache can't be just ripped off and if it is ripped off, It will be on State land and we will know who it is before they leave the area. Plus, with all of my work and effort and my team's work and effort, we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

What do I think? Equipping a $30 ammo can with Lojack and threats of felony arrests is reason enough to leave the darn thing archived.

Just what I think. B)

While I agree with this, I also wonder what the land managers might think of a geocaching shrine protected by security equipment and the threat of arrest (with the added costs of prosecution). It is a long way from what I envision when I think of a light and fun game that brings people to an amazing spot. My experience of the tunnel and the APE cache would have been marred if the cache was guarded by a security system - presumably with warnings about being on camera and arrest. It's far enough from my understanding of the game that if I lived in the area I would volunteer to help with the defense.

...we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

I think you have misread Washington state law, since stealing an object valued at $351 is not a felony and is arguably the same as tupperware theft.

RCW 9A.56.050

Theft in the third degree

(1) A person is guilty of theft in the third degree if he or she commits theft of property or services which {a} does not exceed seven hundred fifty dollars in value, or {b} includes ten or more merchandise pallets, or ten or more beverage crates, or a combination of ten or more merchandise pallets and beverage crates.

(2) Theft in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor.

(edited to remove those pesky B) sunglasses)

Edited by hzoi

...we value the Ape Cache container at $351.00. This ensures that if someone does steal it and we have their identity, we can get him on not only a State level crime, but also on a felony. MUCH, MUCH more severe than a simple tupperware theft.

What do you think?

I think you have misread Washington state law, since stealing an object valued at $351 is not a felony and is arguably the same as tupperware theft.

RCW 9A.56.050

Theft in the third degree

(1) A person is guilty of theft in the third degree if he or she commits theft of property or services which {a} does not exceed seven hundred fifty dollars in value, or {b} includes ten or more merchandise pallets, or ten or more beverage crates, or a combination of ten or more merchandise pallets and beverage crates.

(2) Theft in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor.

(edited to remove those pesky B) sunglasses)

I am fairly sure that the Ape cache is worth >$1000. If it was put up for auction on e-bay the winning bid would be huge. That is its true monetary value. Not the original cost of materials + labour. If so, any art would be almost valueless.

Edited by Andronicus

I am fairly sure that the Ape cache is worth >$1000. If it was put up for auction on e-bay the winning bid would be huge. That is its true monetary value. Not the original cost of materials + labour. If so, any art would be almost valueless.

Without getting too far off topic, let's just say that if the matter were prosecuted as a felony theft, it would be one of the matters that would have to be litigated. While I would argue that the value was that of a large ammo can, I would not expect the case to get that far. The more pertinent questions, for the purpose of what is to be done now, goes back to whether a cache should be placed with the type of security and threat of legal action described above and if the land manager would agree to a container being left under those conditions.

Edited by geodarts