Found It logs in incorrect order

CanadianRockies

Today, I logged six "Found It" logs for yesterday (backdating all of them to the correct date) in the order I found them. The first two finds and the last three are in the correct order, but my third find continues to show up as the my most recently found cache. It's not a big deal to me, since I don't really care about my cache-to-cache distance statistic. But I suspect some people will be upset if this happens to them. Is this a known problem? (A quick look at this forum's thread titles seems to indicate this might be a new bug.)

Today, I logged six "Found It" logs for yesterday (backdating all of them to the correct date) in the order I found them. The first two finds and the last three are in the correct order, but my third find continues to show up as the my most recently found cache. It's not a big deal to me, since I don't really care about my cache-to-cache distance statistic. But I suspect some people will be upset if this happens to them. Is this a known problem? (A quick look at this forum's thread titles seems to indicate this might be a new bug.)

I have this all the time. I believe it stems from Groundspeak's decision to store only date information and not time information. It's then mangled by the workings of SQL databases that don't guarantee an order unless they're specifically instructed to do so, and with no time information there's no way to guarantee the display order of entries from the same day.

I believe it stems from Groundspeak's decision to store only date information and not time information. It's then mangled by the workings of SQL databases that don't guarantee an order unless they're specifically instructed to do so, and with no time information there's no way to guarantee the display order of entries from the same day.

How do you know they only store the date? They only display the date on the site, yes. But since the app now says "7 hours ago" on a newly published log, I guess they store the time as well.

Each log is also assigned a log ID (and a GL-code), I guess that is used to sort logs made on the same date.

It seems to be a recent problem. Apparently in the past they sorted by log date first and then a logging time stamp, i.e. if all your dates would be changed to the same date they would be in the order you logged them on the website.

I had heard of the app vs. web site issue.

Now I had a web only issue as well. I logged four traditionals, then a multi. The multi comes first... even though I logged it last (and only opened the logging page last, too).

Please fix this. Order is important to trace your steps, to calculate distances etc.!

Edited by famerlor_dragon

How do you know they only store the date? They only display the date on the site, yes. But since the app now says "7 hours ago" on a newly published log, I guess they store the time as well.

Each log is also assigned a log ID (and a GL-code), I guess that is used to sort logs made on the same date.

From my experiments & reading it's date & time, but if you log through the website the time is always noon PST/PDT.

There was a thread a few weeks back about Groundspeak tweaking the sort order.

Given the above I don't think the sort order can ever be guaranteed to reflect reality, but your best bet is to log through an app — both the official and Cachly stored the time in my tests, presumably others too.

Did you log the different Find logs differently?

I've heard of logs getting jumbled when some are logged via an app, and others from the same day are logged via the web site, and others from the same day are logged via another app, and so on.

I logged all of my finds via the website. All the caches were traditional caches.

I've never seen this problem until now.

Edited by CanadianRockies

From my experiments & reading it's date & time, but if you log through the website the time is always noon PST/PDT.

There was a thread a few weeks back about Groundspeak tweaking the sort order.

Given the above I don't think the sort order can ever be guaranteed to reflect reality, but your best bet is to log through an app — both the official and Cachly stored the time in my tests, presumably others too.

I don't agree that logging through the app is the "best bet" or that logging through the website means times are always "noon PST/PDT". Unless you're referring to how things work since the recent sort order changes that people have been seeing. But I don't think your statements are accurate related to how things have worked in the past.

Almost all of my found logs have been logged via the website and they have always ended up in the correct order - within a single day, the finds are in the order that I logged them. I haven't submitted my logs for Oct/Nov yet, so not sure whether the website or app would be the "best bet" now. I'm hoping the Field Notes page will start working again, so I get my more recent finds logged and see how the sort order issue is currently functioning.

I don't agree that logging through the app is the "best bet" or that logging through the website means times are always "noon PST/PDT". Unless you're referring to how things work since the recent sort order changes that people have been seeing. But I don't think your statements are accurate related to how things have worked in the past.

If you download Your Finds and examine the GPX file, you'll see the app converts local time to UTC and saves in <Groundspeak:date> field as ‘Z’ulu time, whereas the website always saves as noon PST/PDT — 2016-02-07T20:00:00Z / 2016-06-22T19:00:00Z

What is the new order in which the logs are displayed?

Today I logged four caches via website (to avoid any mess with timezones etc.) multi1, multi2, unknown and multi3, the GL... numbers also seem to be in this order, but the website shows multi1 multi3 unknown multi2.

The only thing I can imagine that GLPQB0(=zero)... is issued before GLPQBC... - digits before letters - and later displayed the other way round, letters before digits.

If it is this, is it going to stay? That would be unfortunate.

Edit: No, it can't be (only) that, there has to be something else.

Edited by AnnaMoritz

From my today's caches one would expect this order of logs, the order I logged the caches and the order of log ids:

GLPQAP4B = log id 650990372 Multi-cache1 1/4

GLPQB0R5 = log id 650999635 Multi-cache2 2/4

GLPQB2PR = log id 651001514 Unknown1 3/4

GLPQBCZP = log id 651011370 Multi-cache3 4/4

but it is ordered like this on the website

GLPQAP4B = log id 650990372 Multi-cache1 1/4

GLPQBCZP = log id 651011370 Multi-cache4 4/4

GLPQB2PR = log id 651001514 Unknown1 3/4

GLPQB0R5 = log id 650999635 Multi-cache2 2/4

which makes it even more strange that I thought.

All logs show Groundspeak:date 2016-11-13T20:00:00Z which is new (it is now 2016-11-13 18:40Z), but 20:00 might correspond to Seattle noon.