Garmin 60 CSx problems

Cherokee Bill

REF: Garmin 60 CSx problems, software version 4.0 (unit has some years and milage on it and yes I am the original owner)

She is starting to act up on me at the worst times.. The screen will freeze on me, and when I go to tern it off, instead of a short tone, I get a CONSTANT tone. The only way to correct these problems is to remove one of the batteries. This temporally fixes these problem until next time!

Any other owners of this unit every have these glitches???

Just a general suggestion for dealing with Garmin software issues...I would try using the Garmin Express app to reinstall the latest version of the software and also run a scan of both the unit and any drives (data cards) you have installed. Good luck.

edexter

-------------

Thought about that, however, although my Mac will download GPS files to my Garmin (using Foxfire), my Mac does not show my Garmin as being attached????

My old Windows laptop will download also, but does not show my Garmin as being attached!

I believe my Ole Garmin is about to die :>(

The 60Cx is about ten years old and is from another generation. Hence it's not recognized by pc/mac. Only dedicated software, like BaseCamp/MapSource/Garmin Communicator, can talk to it.

The only solution I can think of is clearing all data, remove the mSD card and give the unit a hard reset. You can also try to reinstall the latest firmware.

Scan the mSD card in your computer's card reader. Do not format it! If you do that, the 60 might not recognize it anymore!

The 60Cx is about ten years old and is from another generation. Hence it's not recognized by pc/mac. Only dedicated software, like BaseCamp/MapSource/Garmin Communicator, can talk to it.

The only solution I can think of is clearing all data, remove the mSD card and give the unit a hard reset. You can also try to reinstall the latest firmware.

Scan the mSD card in your computer's card reader. Do not format it! If you do that, the 60 might not recognize it anymore!

-------------------

What would you recommend as a replacement GPS unit? And hopefully, it'll work with a Mac :rolleyes:

What would you recommend as a replacement GPS unit? And hopefully, it'll work with a Mac :rolleyes:

Any modern GPSr will do. Some even prefer smartphones.

If you want to stick with Garmin: do you want buttons or touchscreen? What's your budget?

To find out which models are available, go to garmin.com and find the list of handhelds.

As far as I know all Garmins work on Mac.

Smartphones don't even need to connect to a PC/Mac/whatever to be useful for caching.

There are various threads here discussing the merits...

--------------

Correct

Iuse an App: "Cachly", however, my smartphone does not seem to be as accurate. Additionally, iPhones are Expensive and I am afraid I"ll drop or trip and break it. GPS handhelds are cheaper :blink:

Been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series

Iuse an App: "Cachly", however, my smartphone does not seem to be as accurate.

We both have and used phones at some point.

The other 2/3rds still has classic (at least till March...).

I canned the Windows phone because I felt the GC app was simply one of many apps that also went bye-bye from that OS.

Still have android classic from earlier too, but decided to wait it out for the official "new" one to get fixed.

Rare for me to use a phone anyway, preferring a GPSr.

If our 60cxs' ever go (we haven't experienced issues as you - yet) the plan is to get the other 2/3rds a 64s, and I get her 60cxs. :)

Though a bit different from what we have now, we both liked the easy learning curve of the 64s (and buttons), when borrowing a friend's one time.

Iuse an App: "Cachly", however, my smartphone does not seem to be as accurate.

We both have and used phones at some point.

The other 2/3rds still has classic (at least till March...).

I canned the Windows phone because I felt the GC app was simply one of many apps that also went bye-bye from that OS.

Still have android classic from earlier too, but decided to wait it out for the official "new" one to get fixed.

Rare for me to use a phone anyway, preferring a GPSr.

If our 60cxs' ever go (we haven't experienced issues as you - yet) the plan is to get the other 2/3rds a 64s, and I get her 60cxs. :)

Though a bit different from what we have now, we both liked the easy learning curve of the 64s (and buttons), when borrowing a friend's one time.

-----------

Thanks for your time and info! Glad to see someone else considering the 64-series, when the 60CSx gives up the ghost

-------------------

If you like the 60CX I think you will love the Garmin 64S

-------------------

If you like the 60CX I think you will love the Garmin 64S

I agree, you can't even send the 60 in to Garmin anymore. I went to 62 and now have 64. It is totally different. You can't rename or delete caches. To do that you have to open it in the computer and remove the file. I learned somewhat quickly so be prepared.

Not quite true. If you put the unit in Mass Storage Mode, your computer should see it as an external drive.

Is it full?

Don't believe 60 has the mass storage. I owned many 60CSXs and none went to Mass Storage. 62 and newer yes.

From the page on the Garmin site about the 60CSX

"The 60CSx comes with a blank 64 MB microSD card, so you can store extra maps from optional MapSource® mapping software. Just connect to your computer with the USB cable, and you can load map data or transfer routes and waypoints. You even can purchase microSD cards that are preloaded with MapSource maps, which means you don't have to connect to your computer. The microSD card slot is located inside the water resistant battery compartment, so you never have to worry about water getting inside."

Not quite true. If you put the unit in Mass Storage Mode, your computer should see it as an external drive.

Is it full?

Don't believe 60 has the mass storage. I owned many 60CSXs and none went to Mass Storage. 62 and newer yes.

It depends on how you set it up. If I recall correctly (been a while since I used my 60 CSx), when it is set up in spanner mode, you can opt to go into mass storage mode when you plug it in and then access it like a hard drive.

[...]

It depends on how you set it up. If I recall correctly (been a while since I used my 60 CSx), when it is set up in spanner mode, you can opt to go into mass storage mode when you plug it in and then access it like a hard drive.

The 60CSx doesn't have a spanner mode.

From Garmin's manual (Pdf page 77):

USB Mass Storage—allows the microSD card to be used as a USB Mass Storage device. It also transfers Track Log Data to Garmin MapSource.

Hans