Getting signed out of web site

BlackRose67

I'm unable to get in to any other page of the site, than these forums. I either get

500 - Server Error

or

told that I need to be logged on to get access to these services, but when I click on the link to log on (and input my username and password) the 500 - Server Error message comes back

This is when accessing a page on all devices and all browsers from UK.

Still out in Australia, Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox - all refuse to login. Oddly, if I put in my correct name & password, it logs me out immediately to the login page, however, if I log in with my name and a WRONG password, it tells me so. And still getting 500 server error. Local time 7:20pm, (Greenwich ~9:20am) 11/11/16.

Edited by mtbikeroz

It 09:30 am now on April 11th in Amsterdam in the Netherlands and I can not login on the Geocaching website. Using Chrome I get the 500-error mentioned before.

The strange thing is I can log in on this forum and I am able write this message using the same user name and password as in Geocaching.

While I can fully understand, how annoying this issue is, I don't think it makes much sense to post "Doesn't work for me either" every few minutes ;) . It's 12:30am in Seattle now, and unless GS has a 24/7 "emergency bugfix" team, nothing will change in the next 7 hours.

That said, I'd really really appreciate if the issue were fixed until the weekend (and by "weekend" I mean my personal time-zone weekend, which starts Friday evening PST :rolleyes: ).

I've experiencing problems for the last couple of days, and today since about 8 p.m. Pacific time (same time zone as Groundspeak). Seeing that it is past midnight now, I don't expect a fix until the staff gets into office in the morning. Website availability has been generally good, but the IT folks not being able to fix this issue over the last few days worry me.

Edited by Chrysalides
unless GS has a 24/7 "emergency bugfix" team, nothing will change in the next 7 hours.

As far as I know they do have IT techs available 24/7. Let's hope they can fix it!

We pay for 24/7 service... so i assume there are people to solve this problem...

Here in Belgium it is now 9.45AM , and a national holliday , but unable to go online....NOT done!

unless GS has a 24/7 "emergency bugfix" team, nothing will change in the next 7 hours.

As far as I know they do have IT techs available 24/7. Let's hope they can fix it!

We pay for 24/7 service... so i assume there are people to solve this problem...

Here in Belgium it is now 9.45AM , and a national holliday , but unable to go online....NOT done!

While I can fully understand, how annoying this issue is, I don't think it makes much sense to post "Doesn't work for me either" every few minutes ;)

I disagree. Using that logic only one person should ever report a bug. How then, are the people who troubleshoot such things expected to know it is a system-wide problem affecting what appear to be nearly everyone?

If this had been the same user , then yes, but these are multiple users reporting multiple browser and multiple device issues.

@mellers

The clue is in the error message you're seeing. 500 Server Error indicates that the problem is occurring on the server, and every time a user sees that message another entry is made in the server's error log file. The system administrators will be well aware of the scale and nature of the problem without a string of 'me too' messages posted here.

Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean a quick fix :(

Yep, same issue here in Zürich. After Login I get this:

500 - Server Error

We're sorry, your request has resulted in an error.

If you feel that the page you are looking for should be available, please let us know. Otherwise, you may browse the links below:

Visit the Geocaching Home Page

Create an Account

Opened also a ticket.

The problem is back again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Starting around 10:30pm PST, the Geocaching.com website experienced authentication issues that severed browser-based and token authorized apps (GSAK). Mobile apps continued to function during this time. Our engineers worked diligently to provide a hotfix and will continue to monitor closely. We apologize for the inconvenience.

While I can fully understand, how annoying this issue is, I don't think it makes much sense to post "Doesn't work for me either" every few minutes ;) .

I think you mistakenly misread those posts as nagging, but they were just reporting various locations where the problem was seen. It's not uncommon for problems such as this to be local to one area, so reporting the geography of the problem is a good idea. Yeah, sure, it was clear to me long before you posted that it was out everywhere, but there's no particular reason for anyone reporting the problem to worry about that possibility, and the additional reports don't hurt anything as long as they are read at face value: trying to be helpful.

Besides, beyond reporting the bug, this thread gave people a chance to commiserate.