Challenge Cache

LDove

Several years ago before ALR's were outlawed, we had a caching series in my area where you went into cemeteries and found things such as WSQ (Wisconsin Spirit Quest) Occupations - where for this cache you had to find a headstone with an occupation picture or listed. Another was WSQ 10 children - find a parents' headstone that listed ten children or WSQ - Pets, find a headstone with a pet on it. You get the idea. This was one of the funnest series I have ever done since I love cemetery hides. The owner, however, disabled them before I could complete them due to the ALR rule. I would like to restart this - could I do them as challenge caches? I am wondering how would they be verified from the checker because you could literally take a picture of a tombstone with a pet picture anywhere? Thank you for the help.

Edited by LDove

I don't see a way of constructing a GeoChecker for this, because Checkers can only work with data provided by the API. Please review the Challenge Cache Guidelines in the Help Center. See in particular item 4, "Source of Criteria." Challenge cache criteria must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com such as on the statistics page, cache placement dates, types, attributes, souvenirs, etc., and must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com.

You might be able to make something like this work as a Puzzle or Multi. For example: "Take the birth year of the person with 10 children, subtract 1800 and add the result to the North coordinates. Take the year of death of the person who was a teacher, subtract 1910 and add the result to the west coordinates."

You might be able to make something like this work as a Puzzle or Multi. For example: "Take the birth year of the person with 10 children, subtract 1800 and add the result to the North coordinates. Take the year of death of the person who was a teacher, subtract 1910 and add the result to the west coordinates."

Good suggestion.

Thank you for the replies. The caches were always there, it just asked for a picture of the suggested stone so it was not locationless. It was somewhat of a puzzle in that you had to possibly save pictures you found of the stones that met the criteria at a different cemetery. Anyways, I believe you answered my questions about whether this would qualify for a challenge cache. Thank you.

Sounds a bit like an attempt to bring back Locationless aspects to the game. Can't see it working as a Challenge, as currently defined. Not directly geocaching related, and can't be confirmed with the available data pulled over to the Checker site.

:blink: It is geocaching related, there was always a geocache to find. However, there was an added "challenge" to find a picture that coincided with the topic. You did not have to do that picture, you could just find the cache. It was just funner to try to get one that fit the description. I had to look a long time for instance to find a zinc headstone.

You did not have to do that picture, you could just find the cache. It was just funner to try to get one that fit the description.

That sounds like an "Optional Logging Suggestion" rather than an "Additional Logging Requirement." There's nothing wrong with that! Make it clear that it's not required, and no logs will be deleted for failing to take the bonus picture. Say something like "as an added fun bonus, look around the cemetery and try to find __________, then post a photo of it with your log. There are lots of __________ headstones in this cemetery, so I encourage you to explore it after finding the cache."

That sounds like an "Optional Logging Suggestion" rather than an "Additional Logging Requirement." There's nothing wrong with that! Make it clear that it's not required, and no logs will be deleted for failing to take the bonus picture. Say something like "as an added fun bonus, look around the cemetery and try to find __________, then post a photo of it with your log. There are lots of __________ headstones in this cemetery, so I encourage you to explore it after finding the cache."
There's a local multi-cache that includes optional "bonus" waypoints like that. You can visit only the waypoints with information needed to derive the final coordinates, or if you're interested in the topic, you can also visit the "bonus" waypoints, which are interesting but not needed to derive the final coordinates.

Sounds a bit like an attempt to bring back Locationless aspects to the game. Can't see it working as a Challenge, as currently defined. Not directly geocaching related, and can't be confirmed with the available data pulled over to the Checker site.

:blink: It is geocaching related, there was always a geocache to find.

I think Touchstone was referring to the challenge/ALR aspect (finding a headstone) as not being geocaching related.