Groundspeak's pricing and how it's probably killing geocaching in Greece

kourampies

- Pocket Queries. This allows downloading up to 10,000 caches a day. I presume technically, if used in conjunction with the app, it may be 16,000

- Instant Notifications

- Bookmark Lists

- Planning routes using Cache Along a Route feature

All the features you mentioned, except the plan a route one, are limitations imposed on free users, not features.

I'm struggling to understand your reasoning here. As far as I'm aware these were introduced specifically for PM users, and were part of the package aimed at giving PMs something for the money they pay, they were not previously available to all and then yanked away from the free users. So yes have been additional features for PM members since they were introduced; so I don't understand how you're differentiating between PQs/Notifications/Lists and the route feature.

But those sites lack the marketing, the brand name, an easy app and introduction for new users. But the biggest drawback is that they lack worldwide userbase that Groundspeak has because for some idiotic reason they have country/site specific databases instead of a unified one. If they decide to unify the databases, all other things will follow, and then they will be easily on par with Groundspeak.

As soon as those sites became a "threat" though, I bet Groundspeak will ban crosslisting of caches on both sites in an order to fight back.

According you though the owners / operators of those other sites are idiotic so I reckon Groundspeak will be safe :)

Well, from what I've read in this thread kourampies may know a little about the OpenCaching platform in Poland, but they are way off about things here in the US.

As for banning cross-listings, I thought Groundspeak would have done that when Garmin's OpenCaching site entered the geocaching game. :ph34r:

I haven't used Garmin's Open Caching, but I thought there were some minor differences? Also Groundspeak didn't seem so greedy back then. If a viable alternative shows up we will see. Its not so easy to implement this ban either, people could hide two containers or something like that.

Meanwhile, is geocaching still dead in Greece?

Yup, pretty much. Nothing has changed. No new caches, no maintaining of the very few existing ones, lots are missing. Outside of Athens at least, and the whole non-touristy mainland.

In Athens, the same (less than 10 people) are trying to maintain existing caches mostly, and from time to time they add new ones.

Edited by kourampies

Geocaching develops more as more people place caches and more people get interested in it. If you were the only cacher in Patras, and you want to play then you'd need to place good-quality caches and get people together to play. You need to invest time in this hobby to get people interested. Is it a lot of work? It probably is! Do I know what you're talking about? Yes! I've lived in Qatar, twice. First time there were only a few caches there but one person had been working on making geocaching work there for a long time, and that's why there were caches there. People come and go quickly, thus the community always changes and always needs new 'recruits' for the game to continue there. Without investing time and effort there the game would have vanished again.

Then, lets get into life costs. Average monthly wage on the US: 5000$.

Where do you get your stats ? Certainly not my neighborhood. I doubt anyone in my apartment building or neighbors take home $60,000 per year.

That's why he said "average monthly wage in the US" because it takes takes in everyone on the country, not just your neighbors.

That's why he said "average monthly wage in the US" because it takes takes in everyone on the country, not just your neighbors.

Always be careful quoting averages, people have been known to drown in "average dept" 20cm water.

My point still stands. "Me and my neighbors" is a tiny (most would say invalid) sample size to use when arguing against stats for an entire country.

I actually used this, which of course may be way off, since the income they report for Greece is much higher than reality.

Still, you get the point about the situation with money etc here, things are not as easy, especially in conjunction with other costs.

My guess is that some of the very wealthy are skewing the "average wage" metrics you used. The page you used starts with a statement that "The wage distribution is right-skewed; the majority of people earn less than the average wage."

The "median wage" may be a more realistic metric.

My guess is that some of the very wealthy are skewing the "average wage" metrics you used. The page you used starts with a statement that "The wage distribution is right-skewed; the majority of people earn less than the average wage."

The "median wage" may be a more realistic metric.

What does it matter? GC is not a utility or necessity. Enjoy the free aspect or don't play. Apparently the majority of users worldwide have no issue.

What does it matter? GC is not a utility or necessity. Enjoy the free aspect or don't play. Apparently the majority of users worldwide have no issue.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Perhaps the majority just isn't motivated to complain loudly about it. That doesn't mean they take no issue with it.

But I do agree that it is a frivolous expenditure and one can choose to either play for free, pay to play, or just find something else to occupy their time with.