Quest About Collecting Geocoins

VTMountainBiker

I have many questions, I'm somewhat new to the game, but first is it possible to collect all the versions of the Moun10bike Geocoin? Or the talk like a pirate geocoin? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how to or where to? Lastly, this may be a stupid question, but do people with collections activate the geocoins, or leave them unactivated? If anyone can answer any of those please reply.

I guess it's *possible* to collect all versions, but I'm guessing it won't be easy. You'd have to find people prepared to part with theirs (likely to involve trading some pretty special coins for them).

As to activation; from what I've seen online people a pretty split on that. Some activate all their coins as they want to be able to show others and let them discover the coins. Some don't activate any coins as they tend to hold their value more unactivated. Others go with a mix, activating coins they know they'll never part with and not activating ones they plan to trade, or would be prepared to part with in need. I fall into the latter camp (mainly because I activated all my early ones, before realising my collection was big enough that my wife could potentially not see the funny side 😊).

Hope this helps

I have many questions, I'm somewhat new to the game, but first is it possible to collect all the versions of the Moun10bike Geocoin? Or the talk like a pirate geocoin? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how to or where to?

I don't know if there are unactivated versions of every "Moun10bike Geocoin" for sale or not. Some Moun10bike Geocoins (at least the early ones) were activated and placed with the statement that they are not to be sold, but may be kept indefinitely if found. It would be rare to find one of those in a cache, but I guess it's possible. I've seen anniversary versions for sale unactivated (new). Those you might buy somewhere. And I don't know about the pirate coin.

Lastly, this may be a stupid question, but do people with collections activate the geocoins, or leave them unactivated? If anyone can answer any of those please reply.

I have a big ammo box of unactivated Geocoins (which also contains my proxies or revived TBs that I may release someday, or revived to a version far too nice to place into a cache for sticky-fingered people to take. I keep my valuable TBs, of course).

Some people activate all their Geocoins, some don't. If I won't be showing them to Geocachers, or not releasing the coins into the wilds, I don't activate them. If there's a danger of revealing a Tracking Number, such as at an Event where people expect to log "Discover", I display only my activated coins. If I were buying a Geocoin, I'd buy it unactivated, which is more valuable to me (more options), especially if it's listed for sale on ebay. Since I don't know what I may do with my mint condition coins, I don't automatically activate them.

I like Rincewind3's suggestion that some coins are left unactivated for trading purposes. Maybe one or two of mine may be pretty desirable to somebody, and maybe I can combine coins for trading. As we know, people covet particular themes, and gladly take them. So a trade of unactivated coins could work.

Edited by kunarion

I have many questions, I'm somewhat new to the game, but first is it possible to collect all the versions of the Moun10bike Geocoin? Or the talk like a pirate geocoin? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how to or where to? Lastly, this may be a stupid question, but do people with collections activate the geocoins, or leave them unactivated? If anyone can answer any of those please reply.

All M10Bike coin are activated and owned by M10Bike with the exception of the recent anniversary coin which I believe Groundspeak produced. They have always been the most sought after geocoins (especially V1) so it would be very unlikely you would be able to collect all versions. As far as activation, that is entirely up to you. There seems to be a decrease in value of activated coins unless they are rare or highly sought after. Good luck with the "addiction" :)