Disappointed in Nuvi50LM map data. was: Garmin GPS

Macy5722

How do I know if it is my actual Garmin GPS or Garmin satellites??? I am NOT tech savvy so here goes :-)

I have a Garmin nuvi50lm. It gets me lost - a lot!! It takes me down dead ends, it cannot find roads that sometimes I am sitting right in front of and it re-calculates for no reason. After having it updated (life-time updates) it was worse. Plus it has restaurants on it that have been closed for 3+ years. So, do I need a new unit or will I have this problem with any Garmin unit?

Thank you in advance ;-)

Macy

How do I know if it is my actual Garmin GPS or Garmin satellites???

Garmin doesn't have any of their own satellites, so it isn't that.

It takes me down dead ends, it cannot find roads that sometimes I am sitting right in front of and it re-calculates for no reason. After having it updated (life-time updates) it was worse.

All of this sounds to me like the map you're using has a bunch of errors. When you see it doing things like what you describe, look on the map and see if it shows a road or not. For example:

• "It takes me down dead ends..." - The map may incorrectly show that the road connects through to another, even though it doesn't in reality.
  • "...it cannot find roads that sometimes I am sitting right in front of..." - The map may not show a road there, even though it does exist in reality. This can be common if it's a relatively new road.
  • "...it re-calculates for no reason." - If you drive down a road that the map doesn't know exists, this could explain the recalculation.

If you find that the map you're using is both missing roads and showing roads connecting that really don't, you may just need to use different maps. There are some free ones out there that are based on OpenStreetMap data, which is getting very good in many places. You haven't logged any caches, so I can't tell where you live and can't advise how good the OSM-based maps may be in your area.