Drive Las Vegas to LA.

Gill & Tony

On 3rd January we will be driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and I've just realised that we have the opportunity to drive part of Route 66. We plan to spend best part of the day driving, stopping at interesting sites and picking up a few caches on the way.

The basic plan is freeway to Baker, possibly stopping at Primm for the earthcache there. We will spend some time at Baker - getting the thermometer virtual, before detouring to Zzyzx.

Then it's off to Barstow (probably lunch there?) and taking the back road (route 66?) to Victorville (maybe lunch there?)

There seems to be another stretch of Route 66 just South of Cajon Junction, but I'm not sure about that road. It looks a bit rough on Street View.

Finally it is back on the main road to our hotel at LAX.

So, I'm looking for general advice. Places to stop and sightsee, places to eat, caches to pick up - not high terrain or long hikes - any general advice.

Bear in mind we have just the one day - leaving Las Vegas around 8am and hoping to arrive at the hotel late afternoon.

Thanks

Tony

GC436A Some like it Hot

GC644GT I Can't Sand it Anymore!

GC8FDD Many Years Ago

GCGGHY Route 66 - The Blue Cut

GCGGJ4 Route 66 - The California Route 66 Museum

Why not try these caches? They are quick and since you have only a little time to cache, they just might fit your schedule.

Your trip sounds interesting and I just looked at what I might do. Take care and have fun..

Regards,

Peoria Bill

On 3rd January we will be driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and I've just realised that we have the opportunity to drive part of Route 66. We plan to spend best part of the day driving, stopping at interesting sites and picking up a few caches on the way.

The basic plan is freeway to Baker, possibly stopping at Primm for the earthcache there. We will spend some time at Baker - getting the thermometer virtual, before detouring to Zzyzx.

Then it's off to Barstow (probably lunch there?) and taking the back road (route 66?) to Victorville (maybe lunch there?)

There seems to be another stretch of Route 66 just South of Cajon Junction, but I'm not sure about that road. It looks a bit rough on Street View.

Finally it is back on the main road to our hotel at LAX.

So, I'm looking for general advice. Places to stop and sightsee, places to eat, caches to pick up - not high terrain or long hikes - any general advice.

Bear in mind we have just the one day - leaving Las Vegas around 8am and hoping to arrive at the hotel late afternoon.

Thanks

Tony

There's a little Bonnie & Clyde history in Primm. We missed it in July when we were there as we were on a coach which passed right thru.

http://www.cultofweird.com/crime/bonnie-clyde-death-car/

Good luck driving in LA. We were glad we were on a bus and heading in the opposite direction of the commuter traffic.

Seligman is a quaint little town, really liked it and the souvenir shop/museum there, but I think that its in the opposite direction.

GC436A Some like it Hot

GC8FDD Many Years Ago

Why not try these caches? They are quick and since you have only a little time to cache, they just might fit your schedule.

Your trip sounds interesting and I just looked at what I might do. Take care and have fun..

Regards,

Peoria Bill

All of those are now on my target list. Thanks for pointing them out for me. However, GCGGHY Route 66 - The Blue Cut is worrying me a bit. I've tried to search for the three names mentioned in Question 1 and I can't find anything on line. Unless they are mentioned on a sign or plaque there I'll be stumped. NO, I'm not asking for the answer, just mentioning the potential problem.

regards

Tony

It is a virtual cache. the answers are on a plaque at the posted coords

GC436A Some like it Hot

GC8FDD Many Years Ago

Regards,

Peoria Bill

All of those are now on my target list. Thanks for pointing them out for me. However, GCGGHY Route 66 - The Blue Cut is worrying me a bit. I've tried to search for the three names mentioned in Question 1 and I can't find anything on line. Unless they are mentioned on a sign or plaque there I'll be stumped. NO, I'm not asking for the answer, just mentioning the potential problem.

regards

Tony

It is a virtual cache. the answers are on a plaque at the posted coords

GC436A Some like it Hot

GC8FDD Many Years Ago

Regards,

Peoria Bill

regards

Tony

OK, that's settled then. I've seen a few virtuals where some research was needed at home before arriving, but that doesn't apply here.

Thanks

Tony

I'd suggest GCMTA6, Lord Of The Rings. It's great. It's old and it's got lots of favorite points. To get to from Barstow or Victorville to LAX, you'll be going west on I-10. The GPS will tell you to take I-405 south. However, if you pass the 405 and continue a few miles west, you'll end up very near that cache, as well as the Santa Monica Pier. The pier is the west end of Route 66. It is in lots of movies and TV shows. The boardwalk in that area is not to be missed; it's better than a "reality show." From there, you can backtrack to the 405 or just take Lincoln Blvd. south. If you take Lincoln and the time permits, Baby Blue BBQ is outstanding. It was featured on "diners, Drive-Ins & Dives." Alternatively, Tin Roof, which is south of LAX has the best brussel sprouts anywhere. (Although they are listed as an appetizer, I'll often have them as an entree.)

I'd suggest GCMTA6, Lord Of The Rings. It's great. It's old and it's got lots of favorite points. To get to from Barstow or Victorville to LAX, you'll be going west on I-10. The GPS will tell you to take I-405 south. However, if you pass the 405 and continue a few miles west, you'll end up very near that cache, as well as the Santa Monica Pier. The pier is the west end of Route 66. It is in lots of movies and TV shows. The boardwalk in that area is not to be missed; it's better than a "reality show." From there, you can backtrack to the 405 or just take Lincoln Blvd. south. If you take Lincoln and the time permits, Baby Blue BBQ is outstanding. It was featured on "diners, Drive-Ins & Dives." Alternatively, Tin Roof, which is south of LAX has the best brussel sprouts anywhere. (Although they are listed as an appetizer, I'll often have them as an entree.)

I hadn't planned to go to Santa Monica but it doesn't seem like much of a detour. Our hotel is on West Century Boulevard right by LAX and it doesn't really matter what time we get in, so the trip right to the end would be good. I've added GCMTA6 and the nearby virtual to my list. Any more must-do caches nearby?

Thanks for all the info (that BBQ sounds great - there's even something for the non-carnivore half of the family).