Release Notes (Website: My Lists) - October 24, 2016

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes - October 24, 2016

Premium members can now easily edit, share, and organize lists of geocaches. We enhanced this feature to make planning your geocaching adventures easier. With My Lists, you can:

•  

• Sort geocache lists by list name, number of caches, list status, and last modified.
  • Toggle list notifications on and off.
  • Set lists as public, private, or shareable.

My Lists is in beta, meaning it’s still a work-in-progress. Try it out now.

Coming soon: Create new lists or add geocaches to existing lists from the map and geocache listings.

Nate from HQ’s product team will follow this thread, and answer questions where appropriate.

Can someone explain the difference vs the current functionality at https://www.geocachi...m/my/lists.aspx ? Are the underlying lists the same and this is a presentation change allowing sorting of the columns? Is there a functional difference in how lists behave?

I'd hope there'd be an obvious way to map the list, but like the old functionality, it doesn't seem to be available. Yes, there's a multi-step workaround but that seems unnecessary and I hope this obvious enhancement makes it into the new page.

Edit: I notice that there's no column heading over the last column in full page width but when I narrow the browser window width a column heading (up/down arrows) is displayed. This occurs on Chrome and FF on a Mac. I also noticed that when I narrow the browser window and expand it a couple times, the browser became unresponsive for a bit. I expect it is the page because it was the only page/tab open in FF when I tested FF and experienced the same browser pauses including a warning about an unresponsive script.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Team DEMP

I like the enhancements, especially the List Status explanations. It's always been a bit confusing figuring out which boxes to tick to make a list available to either specific people or everyone, so this makes it much easier to understand. The cache count is also handy.

I see two issues:

1. The sort order isn't sticky. That is, if I sort the list in ascending alphabetical "List Name" order and leave the page, it always reverts back to descending "Last Modified" sorting. Personally, I feel that finding a specific list is much easier when they're sorted alphabetically, so that's the way I'd prefer to see it. It will be annoying if I have to change it every time I view the page (a similar problem to what we have to do with the map layer selection on the large map).

2. The default sort is descending "Last Modified", but there's no indication that this is how it's sorting. There isn't an arrow beside the column heading to indicate this. It would be better if the arrow was there right from the start to make it more obvious how it's sorting.

I'd also like to second Team DEMP's suggestion of having a quick "Map this list" option. This ties in directly to the stated "make planning your geocaching adventures easier", because you'd be able to put together a list of caches to seek and then quickly view just those caches on the map. You can make a PQ out of the list and then map that, but it isn't as quick or straightforward and new users may not know about that workaround.

All in all, though, I'd say it's an improvement over the existing page.

I've spent some time comparing the 'new' and 'old' List pages.

Pros of the new page:

• Being able to sort.
  • Ability to change privacy and notification settings without having to go through 'Edit' page.

Cons of the new page:

• No link to Favorites or Watchlist (as was present on old page).
  • No visibility to 'Description' field (as was present on old page).
  • No delineation of rows (as was present on old page with alternating grey/white lines). With so much more whitespace on the new page, the line delineations become more necessary.
  • No top-nav menu (as was present on old page).
  • Not able to 'save' the selected sort order or to set a 'default' sort order.
  • Still no 'direct' way to view the list's caches on a map.

Potential bugs:

• After changing the width of the window, the window freezes and an 'unresponsive script' error message appears. After clicking 'stop script' the various options (sorting, notifications, privacy, ...) become unresponsive and the 'lists' page has to be reloaded to re-enable those options.
  • After selecting 'Delete' and then clicking 'Cancel', the list page no longer showed only whitespace under the header line. Had to reload the 'lists' page to see the lists again. Expected behavior would be to see the full list page, as happens when confirming a list deletion.

It will be interesting to see the changes to the individual list pages, as there is a lot of functionality that would be beneficial there (ie, moving/copying caches from one list to another).

Thanks for the work on this.

Edited by noncentric

I would like to see a real advantage by having a sortability within the bookmark list itself (ie. in edit mode).

Also: a settings checkbox "Delete found caches" and "Delete archived caches" would be pretty nice to have.

Hans

Pros of the new page:

• Being able to sort.
  • Ability to change privacy and notification settings without having to go through 'Edit' page.

I thought those features were cool, but when I thought about it, I realized I'd never ever want the lists sorted in any order other than alphabetical. And I have a lot of lists, so if alternate sort orders would be interesting to anyone, you'd think it would be me. And while the instant edit feature is nice and clean, I don't change those values often enough to need it to be super convenient.

Cons of the new page:

• No visibility to 'Description' field (as was present on old page).

Yeah, for me, taking away the description is alone enough to nullify any positives. If it weren't for that, I'd accept the new page as merely different without being better or worse than the old page. Except the ad in the right column seems larger...

I noticed another behavior when using the new List page on an iPhone/iPad that I find less optimal. The underlying hyperlinks for the list names on the new page use https://coord.info URLs which triggers the GC.com app to first launch and then it launches Safari to display the page. I use Chrome as my main browser so I'd like the specific List page to also load in Chrome. If I remember that this link will trigger that behavior I can long press on the link and select Open in New Tab but since its not a normal action to take and would be inconsistent across the site, it's sub-optimal.

The above behavior when using Safari on an iPad/iPhone is the same and the GC app is first launched which then launches a new Safari browser. I'd suggest that the links be changed to the traditional https//www.geocaching.com links unless there's a future benefit to using coord.info links that would minimize the annoyance of the current behavior.

When using an iPhone/iPad on the new page, you also have to click the List name twice as the first click appears to select the list and display the Edit pencil and a 2nd click on the List name is needed to open the list in your non-desktop browser.

Edited by Team DEMP

Quite a lot of formatting/layout issues in Firefox when trying at different browser widths. Too many to list, really.

Responsive web design is great and all, but responsive design isn't the same as 'assume everyone is on a mobile device'. At a certain size the "..." button pops up a full (device-)viewport sized overlay, which is misaligned on desktop (and disappears if you scroll), instead of the smaller flyout which is must less intrusive to the experience.

An above poster mentioned the missing navigation options on the new page to other user pages and I wanted to specifically add that the current non-beta page has a way to get to your Watchlists while the new beta page doesn't. Not sure without that how you get to see your watchlist of caches. Same goes for Favorites linked off the current non-prod Lists page.

Thanks for beta testing new features! (Although I will never use the "sort list" feature and I'm missing the descriptions.)

Two questions from my side:

- Is there a reason, why the "Ignore List" is listed as a separate link obove the "List Management List"? For me an "Ignore List" is still a list.

- And second, is it really necessary to mention "Your lists are available on the Geocaching® App."? I mean, it is ok to mention this fact in the "Help" section or in a "latest changes" info. But if one is surfing via PC/Laptop this hint is nearly useless. And if one is using the Geocaching App, he propably might noticed it yet. :unsure:

And even better would be a way to move found and archived caches from one list to another.

And even even better would be a way to move *any* cache from one list to another. Either selected by cache type, found or archived status or selected manually.

' timestamp='1477425211' post='5616560']

And even even better would be a way to move *any* cache from one list to another. Either selected by cache type, found or archived status or selected manually.

Moving them manually would also be useful, but it turns out that almost every time I move a cache from one list to another, it's because I want to move all of the archived or found caches.

I'm wondering if this release has changed the behaviour of the API. I am running a GSAK macro to synchronise my GSAK database ignore list with my GC.com ignore list. The macro operates by getting a list of caches in the GC.com ignore list and comparing that with the GSAK list.

Since this release, the API seems to be returning only the first 1000 entries. Since my GC.com list contains 2,900 and rising this has effectively broken the macro.

Could someone from the development team please check this out?

Thanks

Tony

Kill me, but I can't figure out how to create NEW bookmark list on the newly designed page ..there is no button, nor link to do so.

Hmm, sometimes it's the most obvious things that you don't even realize are missing. I guess we were all looking at the finer details rather than the most basic functionality. It's been a week and you're the first one to notice this! :laughing:

The ability to create a new list does indeed appear to be missing from the page. You can edit or delete a list, but you can't create a new one.

Kill me, but I can't figure out how to create NEW bookmark list on the newly designed page ..there is no button, nor link to do so.

Hmm, sometimes it's the most obvious things that you don't even realize are missing. I guess we were all looking at the finer details rather than the most basic functionality. It's been a week and you're the first one to notice this! :laughing:

The ability to create a new list does indeed appear to be missing from the page. You can edit or delete a list, but you can't create a new one.

Hahah, it happens, don't worry :grin: I'm sure I'm not the first one, who spotted this, but others rather reverted to old page I guess.

In fact I like the look of new one, good job.

Does anyone know how to create new lists with the beta version? I do not see an area that says "Create New Bookmark List" like there is on the older list management screen. If it's missing, this needs to be added!

A few posts up in this thread reference the oversight with inability to create new lists.