New geocaching app

lefisher

I have been geocaching happily with the original geocaching app for a number of years and the only problem I had was the fact that caches were not shown at corrected coordinates. I have been trying to move over to the "new" app for a while now and I am ready to scream. Clustering drives me mad. I want an overview, at a certain height, of where caches are in relation to one another. This is no longer possible. As well as this, I am unable to change the units to imperial or see my caches in the the orientation that I prefer. The updated app always turns my tablet page to portrait. The controls are then on the left of my screen rather than the bottom. I find it is more awkward to go backwards and forwards with this set up.

After all this so-called updating, it still isn't possible to see caches at their corrected coordinates. This has been requested by many members over a long time and it really should be addressed.

I often have both the app and the geocaching webpage open on my phone at the same time. A pocket query on the webpage will show me the solved location, then I toggle back to the app when I am on the trail close to the cache. I also like to use the feature of getting directions to the cache within the app, but again, it only takes you to the posted location, so as you get close you have to toggle back to the mapped pocket query on the webpage. It's not ideal, but it gets me there.

I have to say that overall I have had a lot of fun with the app, and love seeing the new features as they are released. The favorites heart showed up in the app last week so I immediately favorited the cache I was logging in celebration! I used to have to remember to toggle to the webpage to do that.

I often have both the app and the geocaching webpage open on my phone at the same time. A pocket query on the webpage will show me the solved location, then I toggle back to the app when I am on the trail close to the cache. I also like to use the feature of getting directions to the cache within the app, but again, it only takes you to the posted location, so as you get close you have to toggle back to the mapped pocket query on the webpage. It's not ideal, but it gets me there.

I have to say that overall I have had a lot of fun with the app, and love seeing the new features as they are released. The favorites heart showed up in the app last week so I immediately favorited the cache I was logging in celebration! I used to have to remember to toggle to the webpage to do that.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, I geocache offline. In a few months we will be going to Hawaii and I have solved a lot of puzzles. That's why I am really trying to see the caches at their corrected coordinates.

If you do offline caching, I think you'll be happy with Locus. Look into their vector maps (either their own, or from openandromaps.org; both are similar), and bypass the idea of downloading bazillions of online map tiles. Both are ways of working offline, but the former works much better IMHO. And under "Geocaching Tools" you'll find the option to load PQs directly into Locus.

You'll probably also want the Geocaching4Locus app, which is primarily for online caching, though it does also offer a download option for n nearest caches.

Look at Locus Map, free or pro.

I believe it fixes everything you've mentioned.

Don't look back, and happy caching!

As you recommended, I downloaded Locus Maps. It took some time to get to grips with it but after using it I am so glad that I made the effort. One cache I looked for at the weekend showed as being in the middle of nowhere but when I looked at Locus I could see a very clear trail to walk. It does everything that I need and am grateful you mentioned it.