Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ayrbrain

Garmin problem

Recommended Posts

I have downloaded caches onto my Garmin gps, but when I look at the gps they are not on it! The gps screen tells us "no results found". When I try to add them again, the laptop tells us they are already on the gps. We used the gps last weekend with no problem. We have reset all settings on the gps, but the problem still exists.

Can anyone help please? many thanks,

Share this post


Link to post

What GPS? This makes a difference as to how to solve this problem.

 

1. If you're using a newer GPS where the filters remain in effect (Oregon 600/700, Montana, 64, newer eTrex), check your filters. Make sure you are not accidentally filtering out all caches with contradictory filter settings (turn on everything... all sizes, all D/T, all kinds, all status).

 

2. Are they just not appearing on the map, or is the list empty as well?

Share this post


Link to post

It's a Garmin not sure of the model, which is coming up to 5 years old, had no problem up until now. The gps tells us no results found, even though the laptop tells me I have put them on already. We have cleared the gps of old caches just in case.

Share this post


Link to post

I have downloaded caches onto my Garmin gps, but when I look at the gps they are not on it! The gps screen tells us "no results found". When I try to add them again, the laptop tells us they are already on the gps. We used the gps last weekend with no problem. We have reset all settings on the gps, but the problem still exists.

Can anyone help please? many thanks,

As mineral2 mentioned, there are ways to filter caches so they aren't shown. It's super easy to accidentally select filters on some of the touchscreen GPSrs, and those settings may be in more than one place. Some GPSrs seem to have defaults that aren't quite right for Geocaching.

 

On some of the recent Garmin GPSrs (and recent updates on older GPSrs), caches beyond a certain distance (60 miles or so) will not automatically be shown. This is a feature, not a bug. And it works OK for me, since I often must be a lot closer that 60 miles to find any Geocache. :anicute:

 

There are a bunch of gotchas that could prevent caches from appearing. In Windows, the file must be "closed", or the GPSr won't see the GPX file, although Windows does. Leave the GPSr plugged into the USB port for a little longer, or right click the USB drive and click "Eject" from the list.

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

It isn't a touch screen. All caches are local to us that I thought I had put onto the gps.

Are you clicking "GPX File" on a cache page (or else unzipping and placing a Pocket Query) and placing each GPX file into /Garmin/GPX? If not, does using the "GPX File" button make a difference?

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

What do you mean you don't know which GPS model it is? It's written right there on the front of the case.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, there's another couple of steps to try.

 

1. Older Garmins had an issue where the geocaches failed to index properly, and would therefore not show up in the device when turned on. The fix:

 

- Delete all geocache .gpx files (including pocket queries)

- Boot up the device (no geocaches loaded)

- plug it back in and load the new .gpx files

- Boot up the device and see if they are there.

 

The first boot without caches is critical because it cleans up the onboard database allowing the new files to be freshly indexed when they are added afterward. Remember to empty your trash can / recycle bin before disconnecting and booting up.

 

2. If that fails, you might have a corrupted database in the first place in which case you'll need to delete them:

 

- go to /<Devicename>/Garmin/SQL

- There should be three files: CustomMaps.db , system.db , and UserData.sqlite3

- The CustomMaps database shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if the problem lies with the system database or user data database, but both can be deleted. On the next boot, these will be rebuilt from the data files on your device. I had to do this with my Oregon 600 last week when it failed to read one of my PQ files, and then later all geocaches. When you reboot after deleting the database files, your first boot might take some time as it's rebuilding each of those database files from scratch. Just be patient, your device is not broken.

Share this post


Link to post

What do you mean you don't know which GPS model it is? It's written right there on the front of the case.

 

The model is the key. If you are using an older Garmin vs. a newer one it makes a difference. The model of the unit should be right on the front of the unit. I'm looking at three Garmin "push button" units right in front of me and all three have the model of the face of the unit at the top. GPSmap ____ or whatever model you have.

 

8fb33075-f169-43f4-a4fc-10bd2da17e32_l.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...