Stamp

Here we go again. Someone asks how to do something, and is told instead why not to do it. Classic forum style! If one aspires to be a big numbers Cacher, one needs a stamp, plain and simple. A local here with 50,000+ finds uses a small red stamp. He'd have carpal tunnel syndrome if he had signed each log!

Stamps can be a great time saver. Get one that fits the caching you like to do and don't worry about curmudgeonly complaints about space.

We have a small family stamp that works well on most micro logs. For nicer caches with actual logbooks, size isn't really an issue, and we have some wonderful handmade stamps for those.

I use self-inking. I usually only use my stamp for LBH caches. I carry around a pad for those LBH caches that don't have an ink pad in them. I rarely use my stamp for any other type of cache besides the LBH. I really don't care if someone opts to use their stamp instead of signing with a pen/pencil/marker, etc....It's actually been awhile since I've seen a sticker on a log.

Stamps can be a great time saver. Get one that fits the caching you like to do and don't worry about curmudgeonly complaints about space.

We have a small family stamp that works well on most micro logs. For nicer caches with actual logbooks, size isn't really an issue, and we have some wonderful handmade stamps for those.

I agree with this ^, I thought about getting a stamp myself. Not because I do so much caching, but my writing is horrible and sometimes it's hard to find a good spot to write on "loose leaf" type logs. However, I wouldn't use a stamp on small logs with limited space. In fact, sometimes I abbreviate my handle to save space.

I agree with this ^, I thought about getting a stamp myself. Not because I do so much caching, but my writing is horrible and sometimes it's hard to find a good spot to write on "loose leaf" type logs. However, I wouldn't use a stamp on small logs with limited space. In fact, sometimes I abbreviate my handle to save space.

Yeah, obviously in a nano log or something like that, it's not really feasible to use a stamp. Apparently there are some dumb-dumbs who try to, but I really don't think it's reasonable to shout at everyone not to use stamps at all just because a small fraction of geocachers are occasionally a bit ham-fisted about stamping logs.

I have a stamp that I use in caches with actual logbooks. It takes up quite a bit of space so doesn't get used for micros or nanos. I didn't just want the text of my name or a stock image, so I ordered from Landsharkz (I live in Canada). Their price includes custom art & design work.

We've had a self-inking stamp for years, it has the same design as our coin (shameless plug).

I used to carry one that was about 1" x 2", the same size as our coin, but it took up too much space and I rarely used it outside of letterbox caches.

I recently picked one up that is about 1/2" x 1" and have started using it more frequently in logs other than letterbox caches. At the same time, I designed one for our friends who have gotten more into geocaching. They loved it, they use it all the time to sign logs (and each other's arms, for they are a silly lot).

We got the N04 model at rubberstampwarehouse.com.

I have a stamp that I use in caches with actual logbooks. It takes up quite a bit of space so doesn't get used for micros or nanos. I didn't just want the text of my name or a stock image, so I ordered from Landsharkz (I live in Canada). Their price includes custom art & design work.

They do nice work. I love it when geocachers have really unique stamps. It's just kind of cool to see unique stamps in different logbooks over time. There is one fellow around here who uses a fairly distinctive one with rainbow ink.

I've been using the unique, handmade stamp my husband made for me since before we were a couple. I use it with pink ink in big logbooks. We have a nice tradition, after a long trek or a challenging multi, to sit down, stamp the book, and then write a nice, detailed story beneath our stamped signatures. That is one aspect of the game that has sort of disappeared, but we like to do our part to keep it going when we can.

Once I had a friend post a picture of one of my logs on Facebook. He had travelled all the way to British Columbia and down a rail trail, only to find that the previous finder was me! Geocaching is such a small world and I love that so many geocachers have made distinctive stamps part of their routine.

We all cache in different ways, and sometimes the name of the game is speed. I don't do these straight-line trails of identical caches really, but we do go on numbers runs once in a while (for us that means 30 in a day), and having the stamp is just really handy, especially in adverse weather when it's really hot, cold, or when it's just not considerate to have the container open for a long time in the rain.

It's really a shame to see needlessly derogatory comments about this fun aspect of the game that hurts nobody, but there's no part of this game that isn't subject to surprising vitriol, from someone, somewhere.

As a cache owner I love personalized stamps and stickers. Never had a problem with people leaving stickers in our logbooks. Most of the stickers have the team mascot dog photo on them. I like those. Custom stamps are fun too. Our caches always include a logbook, not a sheet or tiny scroll, and I don't mind retrieving/replacing the used up logbook and keeping them as mementos. These days there's little point to keeping them though, because people stopped writing in them, or using custom stamps and stickers to make it worth looking at again.

Here are a couple of nice custom stamps examples.

DSC03254.jpgfdsfdsfadsf-1024x579.jpg

Saving time? Fine, if you're in a hurry. Remember when one cache a day was enough?

My promise: I'll always make the time to write my name and date (or just initials if space is tight), then find something to say about the cache later when collecting my smiley.

Clearly we play different games.

Your daily curmudgeon,

VP

You'll be glad to know I don't use it to save time -- in bigger log books, I'll often write a short note, then use the stamp for my name at the end.

Saving time? Fine, if you're in a hurry. Remember when one cache a day was enough?

My promise: I'll always make the time to write my name and date (or just initials if space is tight), then find something to say about the cache later when collecting my smiley.

Clearly we play different games.

Your daily curmudgeon,

VP

Actually it's not about saving time, except for the truly big-numbers cachers. The unspoken secret is that having a personalized stamp makes a person feel like they've *arrived*. Sort of like owning a yacht.

The more caching paraphernalia one owns, the better one is as a Cacher - in one's own mind. And that's worth spending $10 for!

:D

As a cache owner I love personalized stamps and stickers. Never had a problem with people leaving stickers in our logbooks. Most of the stickers have the team mascot dog photo on them. I like those. Custom stamps are fun too. Our caches always include a logbook, not a sheet or tiny scroll, and I don't mind retrieving/replacing the used up logbook and keeping them as mementos. These days there's little point to keeping them though, because people stopped writing in them, or using custom stamps and stickers to make it worth looking at again.

Here are a couple of nice custom stamps examples.

DSC03254.jpgfdsfdsfadsf-1024x579.jpg

I see moun10bike has a stamp -- and it uses up three spaces! :yikes:

Not to be curmudgeonly, but apparently he is being "that cacher"!

;)

So I'm wanting to get a stamp for signing logs. Any suggestions? I'm not sure what size to get.Thanks, Jenifer.

I've looked around on the internet and have also seen other's stampers in person. Get one that's manageable for you by size of stamper and look very closely for descriptions while searching on the net. Some are pretty large but stamp a very tiny imprint. If I buy one, I'll go to a physical store first and check them out.

Thanks to those who have given suggestions on where to get stamps etc.

I don't have one, but I have friends who do. I (and they) see them as something fun, giving them a personal "logo". I don't see it as something for speed; I think I could sign as fast as I could get a stamp out of my bag and put it back.

I've never seen anyone use a stamp on a nano.

I have seen stamps taking 2 or 3 lines on a micro log. A minor crime? When I see that on one of my caches I don't mind; the logs are generally long enough.

Thanks to those who have given suggestions on where to get stamps etc.

I don't have one, but I have friends who do. I (and they) see them as something fun, giving them a personal "logo". I don't see it as something for speed; I think I could sign as fast as I could get a stamp out of my bag and put it back.

I've never seen anyone use a stamp on a nano.

I have seen stamps taking 2 or 3 lines on a micro log. A minor crime? When I see that on one of my caches I don't mind; the logs are generally long enough.

We often take up two or three lines for names, date, time. Somehow, the game goes on.

• Love 1
We often take up two or three lines for names, date, time. Somehow, the game goes on.
Yep. I can fit the date and my geocaching name in a space about 1.25cm x 0.6cm, or in one about 2.25cm x 0.3cm. If that's more than one of the log's premarked signature spaces, then so be it. Based on the logs I've signed, I'm not the only one who signs them this way.
Yep. I can fit the date and my geocaching name in a space about 1.25cm x 0.6cm, or in one about 2.25cm x 0.3cm. If that's more than one of the log's premarked signature spaces, then so be it. Based on the logs I've signed, I'm not the only one who signs them this way.

Space permitting, my hand scrawled, barely legible date and signature takes up 5 lines. Each word on a separate line, and each line indented a little further than the line above. (Why yes, I do suffer from OCD. Why do you ask?) If I got a stamp, I'd probably take up less space.

I will often just sign next to a stamp to save space.

BTW....my brothers name is Mark and his email is Red Sox Mark.

Here we go again. Someone asks how to do something, and is told instead why not to do it. Classic forum style! If one aspires to be a big numbers Cacher, one needs a stamp, plain and simple. A local here with 50,000+ finds uses a small red stamp. He'd have carpal tunnel syndrome if he had signed each log!

I find on average of 1000 caches I year. I use a stamp (sometimes).

You started out on the right foot with..

Here we go again. Someone asks how to do something, and is told instead why not to do it. Classic forum style!

but then lost me with..

If one aspires to be a big numbers Cacher, one needs a stamp, plain and simple.

I remember the day when signing the logbook meant writing a little note about the experience, not just signing a name or stamp.. I still try to do this IF I'm lucky enough to find a log large enough to accommodate a comment. I really enjoy flipping through and reading comments on my caches and others if someone took the time. I've seen stamps that have bled all over a wet log but also some signatures when felt pens were used.

I remember the day when signing the logbook meant writing a little note about the experience, not just signing a name or stamp.. I still try to do this IF I'm lucky enough to find a log large enough to accommodate a comment. I really enjoy flipping through and reading comments on my caches and others if someone took the time. I've seen stamps that have bled all over a wet log but also some signatures when felt pens were used.

Saw ink pens do it too. But a stamp can imprint on a damp log better than an ink pen because the pen usually tears the damp logsheets.

This lament seems to have more to do with the proliferation of micros than stamps. When a logbook is big enough there's no reason someone can't use their unique and creative stamp along with a note.

I have been geocaching since 2005 and stamps were already popular. Stamps are a big part of letterboxing, so it seems somewhat natural that they have a niche in this game too.

I’m Pro-Stamp!

Stamps are handy when caching with kids; they all want to sign the log but their handwriting can take up more space than a stamp, especially depending on the size of their name!

People with arthritis developing in their hands may have difficulty writing. Stamps are a great help with that.

If a cache is in a high-muggle area, the less time we take to sign/stamp, the less likely we are to be seen.

I haven’t been caching long enough to see what happens to logs when they are full.  Sometimes the get soggy or lost in the field.  I enjoy writing a nice note when I log that cache, and adding a photo of our smiles.  That record of my visit seems like it will last longer and hold up better than some of the small, paper logs.  

The game is different for each individual, and it is different for me when I’m alone, versus with a gaggle of Grand Littles.  I’m thankful for the diversity of options with this game; I look forward to still participating with my Grands (all<8yrs) when they get to college.  That doesn’t happen with games that have to be played the exact same way by everyone.  Enjoy your adventures!!

• Upvote 1