Definition of Professional Geocacher

marc_54140

How would you define a 'professional geocacher'? Or is there such a person?

Total number of finds? And/or hides? And/or years of caching?

Distance(s) travelled? Number of states/countries cached in?

Number of times one goes caching per week/month/year?

Number of events hosted/attended? Volunteering teaching others about caching?

Amount of money and time spent on geocaching?

Percentage of finds in Traditionals/Multis/Puzzles, etc? Or having more than, say, 1000 puzzles or multis finds?

The definition of being a professional is, literally, being paid to do something.

The only people I know of who earn a living from anything related to geocaching are people who provide services and/or sell merchandise to geocachers.

I guess there have been occasional sketchy operations that tried to charge other people to place geocaches on their behalf, and that might qualify as professional geocaching (since cache placement is an element of geocaching), but I don't think anything like that works out in the long run.

Since the definition of "professional" indicates that the activity is undertaken for money, none of the above. In fact, spending money on geocaching would defeat the purpose, as it is supposed to go the other way around for professionals.

Those who run tours like the Brazil A.P.E. excursion, run geocoin/swag shops, or others who make more money on geocaching than they put in would qualify.

Clearly you're looking for something else here. "World class," maybe? I dunno. I don't lead in any category above and don't intend to, so I'll leave the quest for bragging rights to others.

I think the idea's silly...

Remembered that at one time someone asked for help on cache finds, and was willing to help with costs (can't remember if here or a local site).

If paid, that person helping might have been called a "professional" geocacher.

- But if annoucing themselves that way, folks would probably laugh at them for it. :laughing:

Unlike the other people who have responded, I recognize "professional geocacher" as a sarcastic label, not indicating that someone literally gets paid for geocaching but only that they act as if it's their career. I'd be happy to put that label on anyone that regularly finds a lot of geocaches, but I'd tend to use the label for someone that geocaches most of the day on most days, tends to start early in the day, and focuses on finding the geocaches rather than any broader experience. Although I must say, from what I've seen with the "professionals" in my area -- of which there are several -- that last part doesn't mean they don't appreciate and enjoy the aspects of the experience unrelated to geocaching when they run into them. It's true that if it's a park&grab, they'll park and grab, but I also notice them finding caches out on the trail at the end of a long hike up a mountain.

Unlike the other people who have responded, I recognize "professional geocacher" as a sarcastic label, not indicating that someone literally gets paid for geocaching but only that they act as if it's their career. I'd be happy to put that label on anyone that regularly finds a lot of geocaches, but I'd tend to use the label for someone that geocaches most of the day on most days, tends to start early in the day, and focuses on finding the geocaches rather than any broader experience. Although I must say, from what I've seen with the "professionals" in my area -- of which there are several -- that last part doesn't mean they don't appreciate and enjoy the aspects of the experience unrelated to geocaching when they run into them. It's true that if it's a park&grab, they'll park and grab, but I also notice them finding caches out on the trail at the end of a long hike up a mountain.

Yeah...I think everyone knew the intent behind the moniker, that maybe "full-time cacher" or something to that effect might be more appropriate.

I think we should be very cautious about labeling geocachers and assigning weight or value to particular geocaching metrics. There is room in this game for all sorts of variations and interest levels. We should be encouraging new geocachers to figure what they like within the game, rather than holding up certain types of geocachers or certain geocaching metrics as more laudable than others.

There is a person in my region who used to describe himself as a professional geocacher. That job (through REI) must have ended because his profile is now silent on the matter. While there are certainly people who have been described (by themselves) as "obsessed," I like that it has not risen to a professional level. It saves a lot of trouble. They do not have to take drug tests like professional darters and other sporting figures.

A person who is no longer active once described his interest as "competitive caching" and was relieved when he no longer got up in the morning to think about where he would cache that day. For me, numbers are the least interesting aspect of this game because it means you have to find a lot of things that there may be no particular reason to find. So I have focused on other things. Although I tend to agree with dprovan's post, if I were to use "professional" in a laudatory sense, I would look to particular qualities - courtesy and walking soft upon the earth - rather than any particular matrix.

Edited by geodarts

I think we should be very cautious about labeling geocachers and assigning weight or value to particular geocaching metrics. There is room in this game for all sorts of variations and interest levels. We should be encouraging new geocachers to figure what they like within the game, rather than holding up certain types of geocachers or certain geocaching metrics as more laudable than others.

+1

How often have we seen geocachers put up on a pedestal because they are so obsessed with the game that it seem their entire life seems to revolve around their game NS their 10's of thousands of finds, their willingness to find a cache every single day, spend thousands of dollars to go places where they can add 1000+ finds to their find count, and even get a geocaching tattoo.

There is nothing wrong with being a casual geocacher.

By the way, there is a for credit geocaching course at the university where I work. Presumably, the person or persons teaching it are paid, and thus might be considered a professional geocacher.

How often have we seen geocachers put up on a pedestal because they are so obsessed with the game that it seem their entire life seems to revolve around their game NS their 10's of thousands of finds, their willingness to find a cache every single day, spend thousands of dollars to go places where they can add 1000+ finds to their find count, and even get a geocaching tattoo.

Not too often if you ask me as a person.

There is nothing wrong with being a casual geocacher.

No. There is nothing wrong however also with visiting caches on a more regular basis. Terms like obsessed are maybe not ideal. For example, I try to go geocaching regularly when my time allows to regularly end up with some physical activity as it is not good for me to end up with casual physical activity.

In my opinion, the intent of the OP was not to put someone on a pedestal or to ask how often one should go geocaching, but rather which metrics people have in mind when it comes to classifying someone as "professional cacher" (full-time cacher or another term would have indeed been better terms).

By the way, there is a for credit geocaching course at the university where I work. Presumably, the person or persons teaching it are paid, and thus might be considered a professional geocacher.

I'm amazed - I would not have thought that there is a need to teach the students of that university about geocaching (something trivial they could easily just start on their own).

As the professional geocacher part is regarded, I realized that there are people out there who teach geocaching but are not active cachers.

Edited by cezanne

I'm amazed - I would not have thought that there is a need to teach the students of that university about geocaching (something trivial they could easily just start on their own).

As the professional geocacher part is regarded, I realized that there are people out there who teach geocaching but are not active cachers.

There is one at my university also, it is a PE class. It's not so much about geocaching and orienteering as it is about getting out and using games to make exercising less boring. We also have a Pokemon Go class, for similar reasons.

The Middle school here in town where my son attends has a Geospatial class and as part of that class they do some geocaching. He has the class next quarter and is pretty excited about it. He told the teacher that he Geocaches with me and what my handle is and apparently he knew exactly who I was. I'm like a celebrity :laughing:

I think we should be very cautious about labeling geocachers and assigning weight or value to particular geocaching metrics.

I see no problem with assigning labels. There is a class of geocachers who are much more into geocaching and spend a lot more time doing it. I have no problem with us coming up with a name for them, and I think of them as "professionals" and find that term useful. And also I don't have any problem with people having an opinion about the value of being so dedicated, both for themselves and for others, and expressing that opinion publicly. As it happens, the professionals in my area are, by most any metric, a very positive influence on the game, and I have a great deal of respect for them even while I have no interest in emulating them. But, on the other hand, here in the forums I've heard of other severely dedicated geocachers that give the game a bad name. So, as is often the case, the problem is more from people hearing a label and thinking it implies a value. Like you.

I think we should be very cautious about labeling geocachers and assigning weight or value to particular geocaching metrics.

I see no problem with assigning labels. There is a class of geocachers who are much more into geocaching and spend a lot more time doing it. I have no problem with us coming up with a name for them, and I think of them as "professionals" and find that term useful. And also I don't have any problem with people having an opinion about the value of being so dedicated, both for themselves and for others, and expressing that opinion publicly. As it happens, the professionals in my area are, by most any metric, a very positive influence on the game, and I have a great deal of respect for them even while I have no interest in emulating them. But, on the other hand, here in the forums I've heard of other severely dedicated geocachers that give the game a bad name. So, as is often the case, the problem is more from people hearing a label and thinking it implies a value.

Unfortunately, there are already instances just in this thread where labels are being used - admittedly - in a negative or derogatory way. See this example from another comment in this very thread:

Unlike the other people who have responded, I recognize "professional geocacher" as a sarcastic label, not indicating that someone literally gets paid for geocaching but only that they act as if it's their career.

I really don't see how any good can come from using sarcastic labels to classify and belittle other geocachers.

And as for actually, not sarcastically, recognizing dedicated geocachers, I don't see that it's necessary to create classifications and labels for that purpose either. We can admire other geocachers and have opinions about the merits of their contribution without dividing people into named groups that only serve to depersonalize them.

Late to the fray, but...

Professional: someone who conducts themselves with professionalism.

tldr: Doing a great job, even if it's just a hobby.

Well said. The money issue was just a red herring.

And you're not really "late to the fray" - the thread isn't locked yet! :ph34r:

Edit/update: But I see they're still working on it! :anibad:

Edited by wmpastor

Unfortunately, there are already instances just in this thread where labels are being used - admittedly - in a negative or derogatory way. See this example from another comment in this very thread:

Unlike the other people who have responded, I recognize "professional geocacher" as a sarcastic label, not indicating that someone literally gets paid for geocaching but only that they act as if it's their career.

I really don't see how any good can come from using sarcastic labels to classify and belittle other geocachers.

Oops, my bad. I meant "facetious". I always get those two words confused. As I made clear in a later post, I have plenty of respect for the professional geocachers I know about.

And as for actually, not sarcastically, recognizing dedicated geocachers, I don't see that it's necessary to create classifications and labels for that purpose either. We can admire other geocachers and have opinions about the merits of their contribution without dividing people into named groups that only serve to depersonalize them.

Meh. So you don't want us to use the term "casual geocacher" either?

Oops, my bad. I meant "facetious". I always get those two words confused. As I made clear in a later post, I have plenty of respect for the professional geocachers I know about.

Right. The human brain automatically creates "classifications and labels" every hour we're awake. It's that language thing. Nothing sinister. No cause for the fabled twisted knickers.

Right. The human brain automatically creates "classifications and labels" every hour we're awake. It's that language thing. Nothing sinister. No cause for the fabled twisted knickers.

Since I brought up the term casual geocacher and would describe how I play using that term I don't mind being called that. Frankly, I find the the use of "twisted knickers" more offensive. It suggest someones opinion is unreasonable should not be expressed because the topic of the opinion is something that isn't worth caring about.

I think you're looking at the wrong post or something. Saying we should be careful about the names we use for fellow geocachers is not the same as demanding that nobody should ever use an adjective to describe a geocacher. I am just saying we should be mindful of the ways this can be hurtful and problematic. There's a difference between describing someone conversationally as a professional geocacher or a casual geocacher or whatever, and defining particular metrics by which some geocachers are worthy or unworthy.

There's a difference between describing someone conversationally as a professional geocacher or a casual geocacher or whatever, and defining particular metrics by which some geocachers are worthy or unworthy.

Metrics is I guess what the OP - correct me if I'm wrong - is looking for (for whatever reason).

The discussion on quantity <> quality (what ever that may be), mass production <> craftsmanship, etc. has been disputed endlessly in this (and other) forum(s).

Therefore - as non native speaker - I stick to the definition in a dictionary

Thanks.

I worked in a profession, and in school they made sure we understood that definition.

And when somebody says "professional geocacher", I'd like to think, that's the definition they have in mind.

Exactly, you WORKED in the profession. Therefore, with a hobby you can't really be "professional". You can be respectful and courteous and follow the guidelines, but in order to be professional it would suggest that it's your job. Colloquially, a "professional" geocacher would refer to someone who takes the hobby seriously and would be used a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by SicilianCyclops

There's a difference between describing someone conversationally as a professional geocacher or a casual geocacher or whatever, and defining particular metrics by which some geocachers are worthy or unworthy.

Metrics is I guess what the OP - correct me if I'm wrong - is looking for (for whatever reason).

The discussion on quantity <> quality (what ever that may be), mass production <> craftsmanship, etc. has been disputed endlessly in this (and other) forum(s).

Which brings us back around to the original handful of replies.

As a native speaker, I'd go with that. So a "professional geocacher" is a geocacher who behaves in a professional manner, or a geocacher who gets paid for geocaching.

Or possibly, the term is being used sarcastically, in which case it probably refers to someone who takes geocaching more seriously than the speaker.

To me, a "professional" geocacher is one who is paid for his "profession." It's the difference between a professional ball player and an amateur. Now I believe the term should be "The Good Geocacher," and I have actually developed a cache which determines who is and who is not a good geocacher! Take a look at GC6VB3R and you'll see what I mean. So far, it has been accurate 100 percent of the time in analyzing who is a good geocacher. Below is a picture of this "instrument."

The Good Geocacher Analyzer

Edited by cliptwings

Or possibly, the term is being used sarcastically, in which case it probably refers to someone who takes geocaching more seriously than the speaker.

No "possibly" about it...I think it was pretty clear from the context that it wasn't meant to imply an actual profession where someone was paid to geocache. I think you've all gone a bit silly over this whole thing. When I was in college, there was often that person that we'd come across that had spent years jumping from major to major and would often be referred to (or even refer to him- or herself) as a "professional student". Nobody ever assumed they meant there was a paying job involved...it was meant to imply a constant, full-time status...as a tongue-in-cheek way of referring to someone who spent way too much time doing what they did. That, I have no doubt in my mind, is exactly what was meant in the OP and you folks digressing into definitions ought to probably step away and perhaps not be professional forum critics.

Exactly. In this thread we've been doing the former, but you immediately jumped in and complained as if we were doing the latter.

My sarcasm detector (which is pretty sensitive) failed to give a warning beep when I read the O.P., to me it appeared to be a sincere query: perhaps 'expert' rather than 'professional' might have been what the OP was asking ? Maybe they can comment if the heat generated since has not scared them off ?

I worked as a professional photographer for many years, but the moment I left that job I instantly became an amateur photographer.

I'd be happy to be called an amateur geocacher , given that words origin from 'lover of' in Latin & French.

Personally I don't feel that cachers should be lauded or deprecated on number of finds or grid completions or streaks or such. Those cachers I admire don't claim caches they didn't sign, or dump throwdowns, or fail to properly rehide or close containers, or cheat on puzzles because they are solely focussed on their statistics.

They do behave like thoughtful decent human beings when out caching and when logging their finds, because that is exactly what they are. Caching style and attitudes betray the individuals character quite effectively: a few times I've been the next finder after cachers with tens of thousaneds of finds, and what I've seen told me I'd be most unlikely to ever call them friend ...

Since I brought up the term casual geocacher and would describe how I play using that term I don't mind being called that. Frankly, I find the the use of "twisted knickers" more offensive. It suggest someones opinion is unreasonable should not be expressed because the topic of the opinion is something that isn't worth caring about.

I read wmpastor's comment as agreeing with me that there's no intrinsic problem with using any particular term to describe someone. So I thought the "twisted knickers" would be on people objecting to "professional geocacher", not people like you bringing up related terms.

And, by the way, I picked "casual geocacher" out of the air because, for me, it's the opposite of "professional geocacher". I'd forgotten that you brought the term up before me, so I apologize if I've dragged you into anything.

No "possibly" about it...I think it was pretty clear from the context that it wasn't meant to imply an actual profession where someone was paid to geocache. I think you've all gone a bit silly over this whole thing. When I was in college, there was often that person that we'd come across that had spent years jumping from major to major and would often be referred to (or even refer to him- or herself) as a "professional student". Nobody ever assumed they meant there was a paying job involved...it was meant to imply a constant, full-time status...as a tongue-in-cheek way of referring to someone who spent way too much time doing what they did. That, I have no doubt in my mind, is exactly what was meant in the OP and you folks digressing into definitions ought to probably step away and perhaps not be professional forum critics.

I'm admittedly a very sarcastic person, but I saw none of it in the OP's post. I think he legitimately was asking when a geocacher can be considered "professional" in a not tongue-in-cheek way.

Exactly. In this thread we've been doing the former, but you immediately jumped in and complained as if we were doing the latter.

I don't understand the "we" that is being referred to here. My comment, which somehow triggered this unfortunate exchange, was in response to the original post that very clearly asks for defined metrics to classify so-called "professional" geocachers.

I realize that sometimes it's confusing when there are different threads happening within the comments under one post, but unless a particular user has been named, quoted, or implicitly described, it is probably wise to assume that a comment is not about, or directed at, a particular forum user.

My sarcasm detector (which is pretty sensitive) failed to give a warning beep when I read the O.P., to me it appeared to be a sincere query: perhaps 'expert' rather than 'professional' might have been what the OP was asking ?

Well, I'm the one that introduced the term "sarcastic", and that wasn't what I meant even when I said it. I, too, detected no sarcasm in the OP and didn't mean to imply there was any. I think it's a good question, and I gave my answer.

Personally I don't feel that cachers should be lauded or deprecated on number of finds or grid completions or streaks or such. Those cachers I admire don't claim caches they didn't sign, or dump throwdowns, or fail to properly rehide or close containers, or cheat on puzzles because they are solely focussed on their statistics.

The "professional geocachers" I'm thinking about don't do those things. I wouldn't use that as a criteria for calling someone "professional", but in my experience it's common for "professionals" to object to such behavior.

They do behave like thoughtful decent human beings when out caching and when logging their finds, because that is exactly what they are.

Yep, that's them.

Caching style and attitudes betray the individuals character quite effectively: a few times I've been the next finder after cachers with tens of thousaneds of finds, and what I've seen told me I'd be most unlikely to ever call them friend ...

I'm sorry to hear that. The high numbers cachers in my areas, whether they'd qualify for "professional" or not, set reliably stellar examples.

I'm admittedly a very sarcastic person, but I saw none of it in the OP's post. I think he legitimately was asking when a geocacher can be considered "professional" in a not tongue-in-cheek way.

As I've said, I agree the OP wasn't being sarcastic, but he gives plenty of examples that make it clear he wasn't just looking for the strict answer of "they get paid for geocaching". In my way of looking at it, any other definition would be, to some degree, tongue-in-cheek. The way I use the term -- basically that we should call them professionals as if they act like it's their regular job to go geocaching -- strikes me as in the tongue-in-cheek category.

I don't understand the "we" that is being referred to here. My comment, which somehow triggered this unfortunate exchange, was in response to the original post that very clearly asks for defined metrics to classify so-called "professional" geocachers.

He asked for ideas on defining metrics, not for judging the people that fit those metrics.

Edited by dprovan

I read wmpastor's comment as agreeing with me that there's no intrinsic problem with using any particular term to describe someone. So I thought the "twisted knickers" would be on people objecting to "professional geocacher", not people like you bringing up related terms.

You missed, or perhaps made my point. Using the term "twisted knickers" (or panties in a bunch) when referring to someone objecting to "professional geocacher" (or expressing an opinion on anything ) suggest to me that the objection can be dismissed as not worthy of consideration because it's just being made by someone with their knickers in a twist about something not worth caring about.

And, by the way, I picked "casual geocacher" out of the air because, for me, it's the opposite of "professional geocacher". I'd forgotten that you brought the term up before me, so I apologize if I've dragged you into anything.

In my profile I wrote that I am an "avid sea kayaker". Although I have been compensated for sea kayaking by teaching classes with my friend that owns the local kayak shop and have been paid for writing an article for Sea Kayaker magazine I wouldn't really consider my interest in kayaking as professional. "Avid", to me feels more accurate even though I no longer as avid about kayaking (or geocaching) as I once was.

He asked for ideas on defining metrics, not for judging the people that fit those metrics.

I'm not sure what is meant here. What is the purpose of defining a category based on certain metrics, if nobody is going to be placed into that category? If we define "professional," does that mean everyone else is "amateur" or "unprofessional?" What is the greater purpose of categorizing people like this?

Anyway, I have a feeling that this is yet another nitpick with something between the lines that I am not going to get. Let's not derail the thread with it. :)

I'm not sure what is meant here. What is the purpose of defining a category based on certain metrics, if nobody is going to be placed into that category?

Yes, I agree you're not going to get it, but just to repeat the same thing at this next level: categorizing (or defining metrics or any of a thousand other things one could say the OP is doing) does not imply making a judgement about whether the category being defined is good or bad.

If we define "professional," does that mean everyone else is "amateur" or "unprofessional?" What is the greater purpose of categorizing people like this?

The suggested opposite is "casual".

Anyway, I have a feeling that this is yet another nitpick with something between the lines that I am not going to get. Let's not derail the thread with it. :)

Too late: you already derailed the thread by insisting we discuss the moral value of the OP's innocent question.

How would you define a 'professional geocacher'? Or is there such a person?

Total number of finds? And/or hides? And/or years of caching?

Distance(s) travelled? Number of states/countries cached in?

Number of times one goes caching per week/month/year?

Number of events hosted/attended? Volunteering teaching others about caching?

Amount of money and time spent on geocaching?

Percentage of finds in Traditionals/Multis/Puzzles, etc? Or having more than, say, 1000 puzzles or multis finds?

Never heard of professional geocachers, Experienced ones yes.

Never heard of professional geocachers, Experienced ones yes.

But terms like experienced and also avid go in a different direction in my opinion.

One property I would expect from a "professional cacher" is that he/she always comes very well prepared and

is well equipped with all sorts of stuff one could potentially need (something which is never the case for me for example).

I also would not expect a "professional cacher" to give up very easily, say after 1 minute when he/she loses the motivation to search for a container.

I also would not expect a "professional cacher" to give up very easily, say after 1 minute when he/she loses the motivation to search for a container.
Huh... Some of the "professional cachers" that I've met have a self-imposed time limit, where they move on if they haven't found the cache within a few minutes. They haven't exactly been the types to keep searching for a well-hidden, well-camouflaged container.
Huh... Some of the "professional cachers" that I've met have a self-imposed time limit, where they move on if they haven't found the cache within a few minutes. They haven't exactly been the types to keep searching for a well-hidden, well-camouflaged container.

What kind of professional leaves the job unfinished?

What kind of professional spends too much time on a project that appears to be a dead end? Edited by niraD

First, it depends a lot on one's definition of "professional cacher". I just wrote what I expect. This thread has already made it clear that there are at least two directions which play a role when people here "professional". In my case both mix in my head.

Second, there was a good reason why I chose the limit 1 minute and wrote very easily.

Third, "professional cacher" is not the same as numbers cacher for me.

Fourth, I intentionally brought something up that does not go in the metrics direction defined via numbers (the 1 minute was just an example and I also mentioned the well preparedness).

What kind of professional spends too much time on a project that appears to be a dead end?

What kind of professional assumes that every job is identical?

Sorry the paint job you paid me to do is unfinished. I can only spend 30 minutes on a wall, no matter how big the wall is.

A production line worker.

Having said this, isn't it about time to close this thread? As long as the OP doesn't state what the philosophy behind his/her question is, this discussion is useless.

After all, a professional doesn't produce its own prejudices which are not backed by facts.

A production line worker.

Having said this, isn't it about time to close this thread? As long as the OP doesn't state what the philosophy behind his/her question is, this discussion is useless.

After all, a professional doesn't produce its own prejudices which are not backed by facts.

Yeah, a little weird how the op hasn't jumped in at any point to clarify exactly what he meant. You pose a question, see there's obvious confusion, then disappear?