Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected after MAC updates

mysterya

everything worked just find when I downloaded the caches to my gps directly but the next day I was forced to update my safari to version 10.

I made sure that I have version 4.2 of the communicator installed as well. Now I can no longer download straight to my gps it says the communicator cannot be found. Which means I cannot even click the find devices button. I open communicator and it sees my gps. I've checked the security and these are allowed although there is a warning says it does not support the highest level of security for Safari plug-ins. From what I've read it should still work though. What can I do?

What can I do?

As mentioned, there are many threads here on the subject. I keep Garmin Communicator running as a personal challenge, but it's a chore (on a Windows PC). But if you keep your computer updated, Garmin Communicator will break. If you don't, many features will break. :anicute:

For a Garmin GPSr, click the "GPS File" button on a cache page (NOT the "Send to My GPS" button) and place the GPX file into the /Garmin/GPX folder. It's the same folder you place Pocket Queries.

What can I do?

As mentioned, there are many threads here on the subject. I keep Garmin Communicator running as a personal challenge, but it's a chore (on a Windows PC). But if you keep your computer updated, Garmin Communicator will break. If you don't, many features will break. :anicute:

For a Garmin GPSr, click the "GPS File" button on a cache page (NOT the "Send to My GPS" button) and place the GPX file into the /Garmin/GPX folder. It's the same folder you place Pocket Queries.

Thanks all, that link was useful sort of. So if I want to do that I need firefox otherwise just need to download it then transfer to my GPS.

So if I want to do that I need firefox otherwise just need to download it then transfer to my GPS.

I download the files to the PC first. But you can click the "GPX File" button and place the file directly into the GPSr. It's not much different than how "Garmin Communicator" does it, except that you have more control over the process.

Keep in mind that if you do all that extra work getting it set up in Firefox or whatever, you might be changing settings again in six months. :rolleyes:

So if I want to do that I need firefox otherwise just need to download it then transfer to my GPS.

I download the files to the PC first. But you can click the "GPX File" button and place the file directly into the GPSr. It's not much different than how "Garmin Communicator" does it, except that you have more control over the process.

Keep in mind that if you do all that extra work getting it set up in Firefox or whatever, you might be changing settings again in six months. :rolleyes:

It doesn't work in the latest edition of Firefox (for Mac) either.

It doesn't work in the latest edition of Firefox (for Mac) either.

Wow, that was fast! :P

It's not much different than how "Garmin Communicator" does it, except that you have more control over the process.

As the difference is regarded, I always wondered whether send to GPS when used by PMs just sends the waypoints or also the cache description. Can you answer this question?

The main advantage of send to gps seems to be that it can be used by basic members too (not relevant for the case of the OP) to end up with the waypoints on the GPS-r while I'm not aware of any other

method that can do that.

It's not much different than how "Garmin Communicator" does it, except that you have more control over the process.

As the difference is regarded, I always wondered whether send to GPS when used by PMs just sends the waypoints or also the cache description. Can you answer this question?

The main advantage of send to gps seems to be that it can be used by basic members too (not relevant for the case of the OP) to end up with the waypoints on the GPS-r while I'm not aware of any other

method that can do that.

Back when it worked for me, it sent a GPX file of the individual cache -- so, child waypoints and I believe the last 25 (or so) logs.

You can get the same result by just downloading the GPX file from the cache page -- I have my computer set so that they open up into GSAK.

Back when it worked for me, it sent a GPX file of the individual cache -- so, child waypoints and I believe the last 25 (or so) logs.

I asked because what send to gps does for me (basic member) and my GPS-r (not for paperless caching) is that it sends the waypoints (including the child waypoints which are fundamental around here).

You can get the same result by just downloading the GPX file from the cache page -- I have my computer set so that they open up into GSAK.

Basic members cannot download the GPX file. They only can download the LOC file from the cache page and that does not contain child waypoints. Send to gps is the only approach I know to get the child waypoints for basic members. I even use that for my own caches when I want to check before publishing them whether I got all waypoints correct (some of my caches have more than 30 waypoints).

I wonder what exactly send to gps does.

I asked because what send to gps does for me (basic member) and my GPS-r (not for paperless caching) is that it sends the waypoints (including the child waypoints which are fundamental around here).

Basic members cannot download the GPX file. They only can download the LOC file from the cache page and that does not contain child waypoints. Send to gps is the only approach I know to get the child waypoints for basic members. I even use that for my own caches when I want to check before publishing them whether I got all waypoints correct (some of my caches have more than 30 waypoints).

I wonder what exactly send to gps does.

My basic membership lasted all of five days in 2007 before I ponied up the membership fee, and I didn't use Send to GPS on my seldom used sock puppet. So I can't tell you what it does or did for basic members.

Send to GPS didn't just bring up the Garmin plug-in, it activated a script that could trigger plug-ins for different brands. I presume that the other brand scripts send GPX files to their respective GPSr units for premium members, and again have no basis for what this does for basic members.

afbf1fe6-4a38-45ca-8792-441a085fac09.png

My basic membership lasted all of five days in 2007 before I ponied up the membership fee, and I didn't use Send to GPS on my seldom used sock puppet. So I can't tell you what it does or did for basic members.

Actually, I wanted to know what it technically does (and what it does for PMs but that has been answered by you). I know what "send to gps" does for me when I use it with my gps-r (which I do regularly).

What is not clear to me is where the file comes from that the "send to gps" commands sends to the gps. Somehow there must be a filter that creates something different for basic members and for premium members and it would be helpful to have some alternative way to get the type of file that is sent to the gps-r for basic members when they use the send to gps command.

Edited by cezanne

Been using the " Add to GPS" feature as a premium member for years, plug in your GPS, click on the button and voila... now it doesn't work,despite updating the Garmin plug in... it says it was successful but still can't recognize my device. ,, what gives?? People have suggested work arounds but why did it stop working in the first place??

but why did it stop working in the first place??
As I understand it:

The Garmin plugin uses NPAPI.

NPAPI creates security problems.

Browsers are eliminating support for NPAPI plugins to prevent security problems from affecting their users.

The Garmin plugin can be working just fine with an older browser, but then if you update your browser (or let it update automatically) to a newer version that eliminates support for NPAPI plugins, the Garmin plugin will stop working.