Logs timestamped in GMT

bdp

If I log a cache find after 5 PM PST - my logs will show up as being logged and attributed to the next day. It appears as if my logs are from the new app are being written in GMT not PST.

All settings in the phone, my account etc all point to PST. Every other app is happy.

Many times, I see that other people have logged a cache that I'm at -- and it shows up as 7 hours ago.

Something is not right in the state of Denmark.

Bear and Ragged has the right idea. I've lost hours of my life (or possibly engaged in short term time-travel) trying to figure out how to solve the problem on the client end, and it can't really be done. I tried to write a document explaining my findings, and I woke up on the previous day. Very old, very entrenched code was written with poor assumptions about time zones, and there's only so much that can be done to work around it.

That said, if you run into a problem where your logs are showing up on the wrong day (thereby messing with streaks or souvenirs), it's possible to edit the log on the website and set it to the correct day

Bear and Ragged has the right idea. I've lost hours of my life (or possibly engaged in short term time-travel) trying to figure out how to solve the problem on the client end, and it can't really be done. I tried to write a document explaining my findings, and I woke up on the previous day. Very old, very entrenched code was written with poor assumptions about time zones, and there's only so much that can be done to work around it.

That said, if you run into a problem where your logs are showing up on the wrong day (thereby messing with streaks or souvenirs), it's possible to edit the log on the website and set it to the correct day

Thanks - weird thing is -- it doesn't happen with the old app - hence not a function of the server code - nor does it happen with c:geo or cachly. As far as I can tell only the new App.

And yes, I've had to go edit my logs on the website more than once.

This has been an issue with me since I started using the app. I tried messing with my time zone and I think it made things worse. Night caches get logged in on the next day and I have to edit them to keep my streak alive.

Today I logged an FTF in the field, right before running into the STF. He logged after he got home and, you guessed it, his entry ended up before mine, even though it was logged hours later.

I have had issues with caches not showing up in the app until hours after I get notifications, so I have to manually enter the coordinates as a waypoint on a nearby cache if I am going for an FTF the day it is published. I REALLY HATE THIS!

The big question is, has anyone figured out a workaround???? Why can't it be fixed?

Of course it can be fixed, every forum around the world manages people submitting from different time zones..... there just doesn't seem to be the will at GS..... I always log from my PC, where I can change the date, unless I'm logging after 6-7pm, when GSHQ has caught up with our date!

The big question is, has anyone figured out a workaround???? Why can't it be fixed?
Of course it can be fixed, every forum around the world manages people submitting from different time zones..... there just doesn't seem to be the will at GS....

WOW. Speaking as the wife of a software engineer, I can't imagine accusing folks of not having the will to fix it, especially when a lackey said this (bolded portion mine):

Lee: you a software engineer, by any chance? :drama:

FWIW, I've been working in software development for a while, and this isn't the first time I've seen "very old, very entrenched code" that essentially institutionalized "poor assumptions". Sometimes, it's easier to just throw out the broken code and start over. Except for all the other code that has been built on top of it over the years.

There is no easy solution when you find yourself in a hole like that.

I mean, the system is happy to accept any date, literally - I had a log on one of my caches dated a month before the publication date. At least recognize the issue, and apply a patch solution - let the user change the date in the app as you can on the web interface.....