Map sometimes freezes FireFox browser (Win 7) in use

Oelig

Good news! Now it is official B)

Your add-on, Message Center Widget Blocker 1.1, has been approved and is now available for download in our gallery at https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/message_center_widget_blocker/

If you have experienced your browser to go completely stuck when using geocaching.com site, the problem is very likely due to a problem with the javascript that you can avoid by using this add-on.

For Firefox the fix is now available from https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/message_center_widget_blocker/

For Chrome and compatibles the fix is available from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/message-center-widget-blo/cngeggmoenbomonegnpgohbnldhgcjgb

Edited by arisoft

Finally! Thank you very much for that add-on. My browser freezes all the time when viewing the map. I had this problem for several weeks (months?). Therefore I even used a separate browser (Edge) that I could kill and restart easily. But where is Groundspeak, why don't they do anything about that severe bug?

Using: Older computer (Phenom II X4, 8 GB RAM), Firefox and Edge on Windows 10 64-bit.

Edited by hqks

I use Linux and Firefox. I have this problem since october ( https://france-geocaching.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5840 ). Now it's the end of my premium. I can't pay a new premium because geocaching.com has have a bug with Firefox and Groundspeak don't repair this

Hello Troumad-

Thank you for writing in to Geocaching HQ, and sorry to hear you're having issues with our site.

You may need to log out of your Geocaching.com account then clear your browser's cookies and cache, then log back into your account. You may also want to try using another browser.

There's lots of great information about geocaching in our online Help Center.

Please let me know if this does't fix the issue so I can troubleshoot further on your behalf.

Ellis

Community Manager

Please don't pay the premium subscription as long as it is not repaired.

I try the arisoft'script.

I use Linux and Firefox. I have this problem since october ( https://france-geocaching.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5840 ). Now it's the end of my premium. I can't pay a new premium because geocaching.com has have a bug with Firefox and Groundspeak don't repair this

Hello Troumad-

Thank you for writing in to Geocaching HQ, and sorry to hear you're having issues with our site.

You may need to log out of your Geocaching.com account then clear your browser's cookies and cache, then log back into your account. You may also want to try using another browser.

There's lots of great information about geocaching in our online Help Center.

Please let me know if this does't fix the issue so I can troubleshoot further on your behalf.

Ellis

Community Manager

Please don't pay the premium subscription as long as it is not repaired.

I try the arisoft'script.

The response you got from HQ was just insulting. Their javascript is unstable, causes both Firefox and Chrome to freeze, and they have the nerve to imply it's your fault?

The freezing issue has persisted for at least the last 18 months, on multiple browsers, and is clearly a site problem.

Groundspeak, quit insulting your paying customers by pretending you don't know about it. It is completely reproducible, on multiple platforms and browsers, and it's unacceptable.

This issue is long-standing, has been reported many times and Groundspeak knows about it. The causing script is known and Arisoft wrote an add-on to fix it. And now Ellis sent a universal reply to the paying customer suggesting that it was his fault which is a rude behavior. It would definitely be rude even if Troumad was only a basic member.

This issue is long-standing, has been reported many times and Groundspeak knows about it. The causing script is known and Arisoft wrote an add-on to fix it.

Well, just to be clear: Arisoft's clever gadget doesn't fix it, it just disables the script after the first time it runs. I don't want anyone to get the impression that it's simply a matter of taking his fix and putting it into GS's script. (Although for my money, running it just once would, in fact, be a perfectly reasonable solution that GS should consider.)

And now Ellis sent a universal reply to the paying customer suggesting that it was his fault which is a rude behavior. It would definitely be rude even if Troumad was only a basic member.

I'm having a hard time getting on board calling this rude. Yes, it was a universal reply, so it focuses on things the customer can try that will eliminating many possible causes of various problems. We don't know what Troumad reported, so I don't think we can fairly label the universal response a mistake, let alone a rude one. Read at face value, the response is a polite response by someone that doesn't yet know about this problem. I don't have enough information to even consider this bad tech support.

And now Ellis sent a universal reply to the paying customer suggesting that it was his fault which is a rude behavior. It would definitely be rude even if Troumad was only a basic member.

I'm having a hard time getting on board calling this rude. Yes, it was a universal reply, so it focuses on things the customer can try that will eliminating many possible causes of various problems. We don't know what Troumad reported, so I don't think we can fairly label the universal response a mistake, let alone a rude one. Read at face value, the response is a polite response by someone that doesn't yet know about this problem. I don't have enough information to even consider this bad tech support.

I also would not call it rude as it was meant helpful in my opinion though of course it was not helpful at all. I also would not call it tech support which is part of the problem in my experience. Typically people at HQ answer such mails who have hardly any or no tech knowledge at all. If someone is persistent it could take 5 rounds to explain the person at HQ what it's about just to realize in the end that one did not get anything out of the communication in return because one's own understanding of the matter is superior.

They send out a whole lot of universal responses these days regardless of what the cachers are asking and regardless of the level of details and technical expertise offered by the cacher who contacts GS.

In my humble opinion GS has too much non technical staff and not enough technical staff. The people who cover the user support are typically friendly but do not understand a lot of the requests sent by people who have a better tech background. I come to the conclusion to rather recommend a cacher to ask fellow cachers for help than the HQ support for all matters where involving HQ is not strictly necessary - what you get from the HQ support is typically frustrating and one can end up with feeling that one is not taken serious.

Edited by cezanne

Some new findings about this subject.

The suspected js-code actually has been reviewed by someone. The original version did not have comments at all, but now the code is well documented. In the beginning there is the most revealing new comment line:

//You should realy get rid of this file when you can.

Actually there is just few lines of dangerous code you should get rid but this is a good start!

The current code does not show the number of unread messages. That is why my "fixed version" shows the numbers slightly shifted. This seems to be the only relevant change so I decided not to update these new comments to my Firefox/Chrome extension.

ps. Please, do not get rid of the separate script file until you get it working properly. It is much easier to replace one specific script instead of the core-js.

Edited by arisoft

Last night after I used the Message Center I was asked how likely I would be to recommend it to others. Giving it a "0" on a scale of 0-10, I then had the opportunity to give more detailed feedback. I politely suggested that fixing a bug that causes entire browsers to freeze might be a good first thing to work on.

Any bets about whether GS will address the issue in our lifetimes?

Not going to happen. The Message Center was a few fads ago, so it has completely fallen out of the minds of TPTB. They're busy breaking streamlining the cache-logging experience, and then they'll get bored with that within the next week or so and move on to another part of the website to streamline. Maybe a few years from now they'll loop back to the Message Center and replace it with another tool that doesn't work and/or doesn't do what the members need.

Not going to happen. The Message Center was a few fads ago, so it has completely fallen out of the minds of TPTB. They're busy breaking streamlining the cache-logging experience, and then they'll get bored with that within the next week or so and move on to another part of the website to streamline. Maybe a few years from now they'll loop back to the Message Center and replace it with another tool that doesn't work and/or doesn't do what the members need.

You might be on to something! They just streamlined the help center and announced streamlining of the Dashboard!

I sure hope, they get the bugs and annoyances ironed out of logging experience before it is left on its own!

You might be on to something! They just streamlined the help center and announced streamlining of the Dashboard!

I sure hope, they get the bugs and annoyances ironed out of logging experience before it is left on its own!

Ha! I'm still waiting for updates to the 'new Lists' page. It seem that that project has fallen by the wayside, but I'm hoping that they're actually still working on it and adding some of the functionality that has been requested (moving/copying caches from one list to another) without removing the functionality we had with the 'old Lists' page (description field).