Bremerton Cache Machine (shameless plug)

travisl

Although i'm not 100% sure as to where bremerton is, the pdf file makes it look cool. lauren will be done with school by that time, so i'll be there unless we have actual jobs by then. but we're poor, so please--all of you seattleiteiesists--post which couch we can camp upon.

oh yeah, is bremerton an island? cuz if i end up on a ferry i'm gonna cry foul.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

You need to do one of these in the first week of Aug. I am there almost every year visiting friends and am trying ot get them into caching. Would be a very easy trip as they live in Port Orchard. We will be hitting as many as we can then. Have fun and I will let me friend know about this, maybe he will get of the curb and get a GPSr and FRS to go along.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Yahoo says it's 3 hours, 34 minutes from Portland to Bremerton.

Oregone -- nope, Bremerton isn't on an island, although it might be in a couple hundred thousand years. There's about a two mile wide strip of land (near Belfair, WA) that connects the Kitsap Peninsula to the mainland (just southwest of the "2" in the Yahoo map linked above). No ferries, unless you want to get to Seattle from there.

I'm figuring on lots of rain, though.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

lauren will be done with school by that time, so i'll be there unless we have actual jobs by then.

although i'll be done with school, i'll actually be in sunny southern california visiting my family for christmas on the 28th of december. that's when this thing is, right? too bad i'll miss it, i need to get a couple caches or i'll start feeling dumb about still reading the forums and stuff.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

quote:
... but we're poor, so please--all of you seattleiteiesists--post which couch we can camp upon.

Oregone,

If you don't mind being around some old folks (mid 30's), we have a motorhome that you could "crash" in. (sorry for the pun)

It's not what you fling,

It's the FLING itself.

Depending on how many people show up, there may be a problem:

Have you ever had to pass a logbook around to nine people? An eternity sometimes passes while you're waiting for someone to think of something to write.

I'm looking forward to the 28th, as long as i can peel myself out of the bed at the bremerton best western after the previous night's debauchery. Speaking of debauchery, is there anything to do within a few blocks of the bremerton best western on the 27th? And can i rely on the schedule given on the pdf file in case i have to show up a little late? Do the strip clubs in Washington have the same stupid regulations as the Idaho ones? Because i can only tolerate so much liquid latex in one lifetime. In my opinion, nipples should be free from the confines of liquid latex. Next time i go to Boise, i'm liberating nipples.

Anyway, if someone wants to trade mobile phone numbers with me in case i'm late, that'd be great. And if you're near the best western the night before, i think you should buy me a beer to reward me for the long drive from pdx.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I plan on posting one more update to the PDF file on December 26th. Any changes after that I'll just announce at the start that morning.

And Oregone, I can't imagine that a decent Navy town like Bremerton wouldn't have at least a couple strip clubs :-)

See you on Saturday!

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

This went amazingly better than I expected. The only thing that I could have improved on would be somehow making the file size of the cache route smaller, and maybe adjusting the difficulty of the event (instead of a 3/3, I'm thinking it should've been a 1/4).

For future hunters who want to know how to get 37 caches in 9 hours:

A) Get 20 sets of eyes looking for each cache

;) Pick a route between the 37 caches that have a total driving distance of 42 miles or less among all of them

C) Don't stop. Move quickly. To recap the day, Kfam was nice enough to log the following find times:

07:30 NAD Soroptamist Park

08:20 NAD Marine Park

08:35 SR-3 Park

08:53 Pendergast Park

09:20 Forest Ridge

09:41 Haddon Park

09:54 Avron Children's Park

09:56 Novra Deja Vu

10:03 Homerun

10:12 Cencom

10:20 Danger, High Voltage

10:30 2 Benches

10:33 Big Blue at City Hall

10:42 Small Triangle

10:46 No Name Park

10:50 Skyline 906/FM-7

10:56 Red Menace

11:10 Chiroptera

11:40 Imperial Data

11:44 Bataan Park

12:00 Pro 67B

12:15 Fahrenheit 451

12:40 Lone Cedar

12:50 East Park Nature Cache

13:05 Warren Ave. Bridge

13:20 Lion's Field/Coal Dock

13:22 Pat Carey Vista

13:33 Tracyton Ballpark

14:00 Abandoned

14:20 Aboreal Escapade

14:45 Children's Park Beach

15:05 Anderson Ruins

15:10 Anderson Field

15:30 Inlet View

15:50 Clear Creek Trail

16:15 Vale of Stumps

16:35 Ridgetop Reconnoiter

I think I was the only one leaving and taking things from caches, which also would slow down a group if everyone did this.

We've got to do this again some time. A Yakima, Spokane, or Portland Cache Machine event look like they'd all be almost as do-able.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

We've got to do this again some time. A Yakima, Spokane, or Portland Cache Machine event look like they'd all be almost as do-able.

Count me in on any sequels! I was bummed that I couldn't join you on the BCM, but I was a whole state over to the right (in more ways than one).

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

I want to see the log for The Barker Objective (man, talk about an unusual find)

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Just a little advise to the many many people that will now be going after this cache. I am one of the few that have gone after this cache. I saw a lot of mating going on and the dying afterwards but not the human type. Being and old (77) steelheader I had on Carhartts,high boots, and a wading staff. I am not about to walk a slick log to get across the creek. Not that difficult to find if you wade past the cache downstream about 20 feet and when across walk back up the incline to the cache. From what I saw of the group when they stopped at my cache (Pro67B) they were not equipped to cross the creek to the cache. Glad to meet all the great Geocacher in the Bremerton Cache Machine. Dick, W7WT

Dragging up this old thread (got your attention, didn't it) -- does anyone out there still have the .PDF files from the BCM? I've got them on a hard drive in a bag in my desk drawer, but don't have any way to get the data from that hard drive to my laptop. If so, could you send them to me? My email name is TravisL, and my e-mail domain is drizzle.com.

Thanks