Travel Bug pictures

justintim1999

Recently I picked up a bunch of travel bugs at an event. Very close to my house is an historical landmark and I like to bring travel bugs there and take pictures. With so many travel bugs in my possession I decided to take a look at the owners and discovered that about half had not logged into geocaching for over a year. This got me thinking.

If the owner is not active do you still take the time to post pictures? If so why?

Thanks

If the owner is not active do you still take the time to post pictures? If so why?

Lots of times, it's the only photo of the TB that's ever been posted. Or it's the first photo record after the original valued item was stolen and replaced with the current cheap toy. I often try to take creative and fun photos, to show the cool cache place, to have a fun grouping of TBs, or whatever. I've never heard of any TB owner complain about too many nice pictures (with no tracking number shown, and no cache spoiler, of course), and I have the impression that sometimes the photos are appreciated. I even include more than just the default "X to Y" text, regardless of whether the Owner currently logs caches. Go figure. But mostly I do it because I personally know actual alleged Geocachers who turn up their noses to ask why I bother to post a picture of a TB as if there could never be any merit to doing so. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Sometimes I'll take pics (with a discover) if I know I can't move 'em on, just to let someone know it is still there.

Have one now (if I ever have time to finish it), a numerous-stage multi that's only been found once since July, yet the co held hostage dropped a lotta trackables in it (a whole other thread topic...).

I won't be able to free them with tiny container sizes in the area.

Often I have the only pics of the surrounding cache area too.

Edited by cerberus1

Sometimes I'll take pics (with a discover) if I know I can't move 'em on, just to let someone know it is still there.

Have one now (if I ever have time to finish it), a numerous-stage multi that's only been found once since July, yet the co held hostage dropped a lotta trackables in it (a whole other thread topic...).

I won't be able to free them with tiny container sizes in the area.

Often I have the only pics of the surrounding cache area too.

There was a TB from Europe that had a Mission to have location shots, and especially of fire engines. While I decided the ideal cache to place it, I took a cool photo with a fire engine, and at scenic points in town. I placed it into a big Travel Bug Hotel near a road (the cache was right at the edge of the cache owner's property, so it was well-mantained). And a couple weeks later, maintenance crews cut a swath out of all the foliage to the ground at the easement, and entire cache was gone. :rolleyes: