Legal Concealed weapon carry in WA, without permit

martmann

quote:
Originally posted by slinger91:

One good thing to remember about the CCP permit is it's not just for guns. You'll need this permit to conceal knifes with certain blade lengths also. Another thing alot of people may not know is Washington state will honor a Oregon CCP. I'm not sure if Oregon does the same for Washington though.

You better qualify that first statement about a CCP being not just for guns. I can't speak for Washington, but my Oregon CHL (Concealed Handgun License) is ONLY for ONE gun (at a time) and does NOT cover knives, billy-clubs, etc.

Also, can someone point me a legislative link or something that offically says Washington accepts my Oregon CHL? The way I understood it, as a non-resident I could get a WA permit, but my OR permit was not valid. I'm up in washington alot repo'ing cars and it sucks to have to take the gun off. And, what are washington's laws on open carry? I know I could look that up myself, but I'm too busy right now and was hoping someone knew off the top of their head.

Finally, I'm fairly certain that oregon does not honor other states permits.

Thanks

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.

You can Go HERE and scroll to the bottom, to verify that WA does not honor other states concealed weapon license. This is the Packing.org web site but it references links to WA gov web sites.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I carry a firearm because legally I can. When I get off my lazy butt and get my concealed weapons permit I will carry a concealed weapon because legally I will be able to. I consider myself safe and responsible with my weapons but I can see people's concern. As of right now this Is a right we have here In Oregon and I will utilize it until I am told I can't.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

quote:
Originally posted by slinger91:

Another thing alot of people may not know is Washington state will honor a Oregon CCP. I'm not sure if Oregon does the same for Washington though.

Nope. In fact I was asked by the nice folks at Clark Co. Sheriff to pass onto my students that Washington DOES NOT honor the Oregon permit, and trying to carry under the Oregon permit will get the carrier into some trouble.

quote:

You better qualify that first statement about a CCP being not just for guns. I can't speak for Washington, but my Oregon CHL (Concealed Handgun License) is ONLY for ONE gun (at a time) and does NOT cover knives, billy-clubs, etc.

The Oregon permit law does not specify how many. You may carry a primary, backup, supplemental, supplemental backup, primary supplelntal backup and a "just-in-case" handgun if you feel it necessary. Sure, you'll get an odd look or two, but it's your choice. It is a handgun permit, not a weapons permit. You are correct on that point.

quote:

Also, can someone point me a legislative link or something that offically says Washington accepts my Oregon CHL?

www.packing.org

quote:

The way I understood it, as a non-resident I could get a WA permit, but my OR permit was not valid.

Correct, just go into the nearest Washington county sheriff and you can fill in the paperwork right there, do the fingerprints, pay the fee and wait a few weeks for the background checks to clear.

quote:

Finally, I'm fairly certain that oregon does not honor other states permits.

Correct, they do not.

One other thing, the Washington permit is also a "concealed pistol permit," not a concealed weapon permit. Unless you've got law to back up the claim that you can carry other specifically-defined weapons concealed with the permit, I wouldn't act on it.

Just some friendly advice to avoid getting into a semantic debate with your arresting officer....

You are correct on all counts, Sir. I have permits for both Washington and Oregon and generally carry in both states while caching. It has been my experience that a shot fired safely into the ground will almost always frighten off both bears (at least ours, don't know about Alaska) and cougars. I didn't make a point of carrying all the time until one day when I was out caching with my 2 year old daughter in PDX and we stumbled into a gathering of scumbags openly sharing needles in the middle of the park. Things got a little tense, but turned out ok with no one hurt. That reminds me, I still have to write that thank you letter to Smith and Wesson. As was stated earlier in this thread - the 4 legged animals aren't nearly as frightening as the others........

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

quote:
Originally posted by DarkSide:

You are correct on all counts, Sir. I have permits for both Washington and Oregon and generally carry in both states while caching. It has been my experience that a shot fired safely into the ground will almost always frighten off both bears (at least ours, don't know about Alaska) and cougars. I didn't make a point of carrying all the time until one day when I was out caching with my 2 year old daughter in PDX and we stumbled into a gathering of scumbags openly sharing needles in the middle of the park. Things got a little tense, but turned out ok with no one hurt. That reminds me, I still have to write that thank you letter to Smith and Wesson. As was stated earlier in this thread - the 4 legged animals aren't nearly as frightening as the others........

While not a magic charm to drive off evil by merely possessing it, ballistic protection is mighty nice to have when all your efforts to avoid trouble have failed. icon_wink.gif

Glad you escaped trouble without having to resort to anything much stronger than walking away swiftly....