do you like gardening?

metalnewton

GC4MZ8P was hidden sept 9 2013 and no finds. 351 DNFs! I searched this place inside out and no geocache. broken glass, rocks, garbage, weeds, dirt, mosquitos, sticks, garter snakes, moss, snails, salamanders, trees, poison ivy, stumps, vines, rain, snow, leaves, ...where is it? The gps is jumpy on the escarpment but it settles in one area. I been there 173 times! :mad:

Edited by metalnewton

I and, I bet, hundreds other cachers are rooting for you. I've been to Toronto a few times since this published, but never long enough to spare the detour to Hamilton, just to log a DNF. I imagine, if I were you, I'd have given up around attempt 15 or so, but you keep going back. I'll be happy when you eventually find it.

Here's a shot in the dark. I once saw a cache hidden under a clump of dirt. The clump of dirt had been glued into a mass and the micro cache was hidden within and under it. Very clever. One would have to turn the clump over to find the cache. I doubt that this is the solution because Carni has mentioned that nothing needs to be "turned over" because the cache is in our view. I just thought I would share that. Good luck!

I think Ockham's razor is probably the best geocaching tool needed to explain this; i.e., the simplest or most obvious explanation is that the cache does not exist. It isn't there and never was.

I've toyed with the idea of doing one of these myself.

How easy then to replace a damp log from the comfort of my chair. How easy to say on an CO's maintenance log that it is there, hundreds of DNF's from veteran cachers notwithstanding.

Then when I tire of it, simply place a real container and archive it after the first find.

All very pointless, but good fun nu?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I haven't been to GZ, or even been in that province, but my guess is that cachers are focusing at too low of an elevation. Sounds like many searches have involved moving things around, but the CO has said that nothing needs to be moved to find the cache. Would love to give this one a few tries, but not sure I'll ever be in the area.

I've searched a couple of times already, living an hour away, but haven't made too much of an effort, feeling that any search efforts I put forward would by now be redundant and definitely insufficient. I'm just watching now. It's at the point that it feels like dumb luck will be the only way this thing will be found.

I also reiterate the point - the CO is reliable and trustworthy. If he says the cache is there, the cache is there. If it's not, oh boy will he be in for a mass lynching :P

I do find it hard to believe that the cache is still effectively in pristine condition, if nothing needs to be moved to find it, and it's in clear view. After yet another search effort like this past weekend, options for how it could be hidden seem non-existent. Unless he has to visit and 'fix it up' after an event like that. But if that's true, then it really can't be that hard to find if he can find it that easily to verify it.

Which is why this is such an elusive and painfully fascinating listing...

3 minutes ago, metalnewton said:

i think it was found last month by metalnewton.  a metal detector wouldnt work, its a plastic matchstick tube under a small rock. 

A plastic matchstick tube is about 2" long and about 1" wide. Even if the small rock is hollowed out. Why was this so hard to find? Is there something about the rock that makes it look like an intact complete rock? Are the coordinates accurate? Someone posted photos of the area at ground zero. It's a spot in the woods, not a mound of rocks. Dirt, barely any rocks. So why is a matchstick container so hard to find?   https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3d8ae8f2-ace8-4199-8595-77c5da6205d1&IID=d0d3d7f4-0b97-4cae-ab4d-10dc0c1e893b And why, on the same day as metalnewton's find, did the owner remove and disable it? 

11/30/2018  a huge congratulations to metalnewton on his FTF! Cache is currently unavailable.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:41 PM, metalnewton said:

i think it was found last month by metalnewton.  a metal detector wouldnt work, its a plastic matchstick tube under a small rock. 

You "think" it was found?    :ph34r:

On 12/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, L0ne.R said:

Dirt, barely any rocks.

You mean, like these rocks?  PIC, PICPIC 

And I see some pretty large (at least shoe size) rocks in these photos:  PICPICPIC (upper right),   PIC (lower right)

Is there something about the rock that makes it look like an intact complete rock?

Aren't most fake rock caches camo'd to look like a real rock?  I thought that was the whole point of using a fake rock, or of creating a hiding space for a cache in a real rock.

And why, on the same day as metalnewton's find, did the owner remove and disable it?

Are you one of those cachers that thinks the cache was never there in the first place?

It did seem odd that the cache was disabled so soon after it was found, although the first two WN logs after it was found were cachers commenting about how big of a hint the FTF'er gave in his log. A couple more WN logs followed, and then the CO disabled it. Maybe the CO is just tired of getting CHS emails and/or is considering what to do with a cache that was listed as a D5 - but certainly isn't a D5 anymore, considering the hint included in the FTF log and already sent (email) to the 200+ cachers watching the cache.