Forest area in Oslo, Norway is changed to water in the default Geocaching map

Jon-

The default Geocaching map has changed the forest located east of Oslo, called "Østmarka", to water.

The other forests surrounding Oslo (north and west) is still OK.

I do not know when it was changed, but I know it was OK some month ago.

If I change to openStreet map or any other map it's OK.

But I want to use the default map so is there any way to fix this?

Google map is correct. Such errors would be fixed ASAP.

This is not a deserted area far up in the mountains, but the surroundings of Oslo with more that 1 Mill people.

Maybe some sort of mapping between google map and geocaching map that went wrong.

The area that's incorrectly rendered appears to be relation 1442391. However, that relation is not and never has been tagged as a body of water (or tagged as anything, for that matter), so I can't figure out why it would be rendered as water. It's possible there was some error in the data at the time it was imported into the Groundspeak database that has since been fixed, which would get resolved when the database gets updated. Unfortunately, questions surrounding the timing of these updates in the release notes have gone unanswered, so there's no way to know how long it could be until the map gets updated.

The area that's incorrectly rendered appears to be relation 1442391.

I had a look there too, found a mega-complicated wood multipolygon (coincident with that relation?), translated the most recent changeset comment from Norwegian to something I could understand, realized that most recent change was a red herring, realized that clicking View History would suck me right down a very deep rabbit hole, and thought, whew, it's Groundspeak's problem, not mine.

Good luck guys!

(I'm guessing this problem will go away with the next update, but the answer is likely at the bottom of that rabbit hole...)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The area that's incorrectly rendered appears to be relation 1442391. However, that relation is not and never has been tagged as a body of water (or tagged as anything, for that matter), so I can't figure out why it would be rendered as water.

You are right, the relation itself is only tagged with type=multipolygon and its members are tagged with boundary=protected_area and other tags (even the inner ones). Weird, that should be on the relation.

Anyway, two of the outer members are waterway=stream as well. This might have confused the Groundspeak renderer (but shouldn't have).

I reported this to Geocaching support on 15th of September 2016. Support request 725392. But it is still like this. What I can see is that the two islands Geitholmen and Kavring that is in the Oslo fjord suddenly have their names in this forest area that have turned in to a huge lake. Maybe there is a sideways movement of some map data?

I know there are other map options to choose from, but I like the original layout. The others are also much slower.

Edited by it-potet

Thanks for reporting this problem. Our design and engineering teams have been investigating this problem. You are right - water is covering a forest area in Norway! That's just not right!

The team discovered that it is a problem with a mapping service that we use. A fix for this specific problem is planned for early 2017.

Thanks for your patience!

Cindy / Frau Potter

Geocaching HQ