Recovery reports to NGS not appearing

Bill93

I have reported via the NGS web site form on perhaps a dozen disks this summer. Of those, 5 have not been updated. Some from early July were and some weren't. Two of three that I submitted on the same day in September were updated a week ago and the third one still hasn't.

Perhaps a couple of my reports included unconventional information that I thought was useful, or were pretty trivial (reporting wrong direction from witness post on mark set in 2014), so if they were editing closely someone might have rejected them. But some of these missing reports were pretty straightforward.

Anyone else have this experience or insight into what's going on?

Edited by Bill93

All of these that weren't updated are bench marks or triangulation stations.

Ironically, although NGS generally doesn't want intersection station reports, they did accept one in July that I submitted because I thought I had potentially useful information. See NJ0770 (NGS) (Geocaching) as discussed in this thread.

I had data for the intersection station, a triangulation station, and a RM for a triangulation station that showed a fairly consistent pattern of offset between the NAD83(1996) and NAD83(2011) coordinates in this area that is not modeled by the GEOCON2 conversion software, due to the fact that it is a long distance to the nearest stations having both classical and official GPS coordinate measurements to allow such a determination. While my work wasn't NGS quality it seemed significant.

Try emailing Deb Brown at Deb.Brown@noaa.gov. She does all the entries. I know she once told me that she tended to do them in batches, and was pretty far behind. That doesn't explain why some made it in and some didn't. I wonder if there is some sort of glitch in the submission program. Chances are that the form just emails Deb and she goes from there.

I have reported via the NGS web site form on perhaps a dozen disks this summer. Of those, 5 have not been updated. Some from early July were and some weren't. Two of three that I submitted on the same day in September were updated a week ago and the third one still hasn't.

Perhaps a couple of my reports included unconventional information that I thought was useful, or were pretty trivial (reporting wrong direction from witness post on mark set in 2014), so if they were editing closely someone might have rejected them. But some of these missing reports were pretty straightforward.

Anyone else have this experience or insight into what's going on?

I noticed that I have one that I reported as found last October and it never got updated yet 2 others reported at the same time did. This one that did not was a "NOT FOUND" in 2004 by USPSQD that was actually right where it was described. I even submitted it again in Dec and its till has not been updated as of this date.

?

Edited by Z15

I noticed that I have one that I reported as found last October and it never got updated yet 2 others reported at the same time did. This one that did not was a "NOT FOUND" in 2004 by USPSQD that was actually right where it was described. I even submitted it again in Dec and its till has not been updated as of this date.

I hope she's not assuming the power squadron is a more reliable source than you are because they're not. Did you submit photos of both the monument and of its locale?

No, did not have a camera. I happened on this mark out riding the trails on my RZR, saw a witness post along the old RR grade and stopped to check it out.

PS - I sent an email inquiring weeks ago and never got a reply.

RL0702_MARKER: DB = BENCH MARK DISK

RL0702_SETTING: 7 = SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT

RL0702_STAMPING: B 50 1934

RL0702_MARK LOGO: CGS

RL0702_PROJECTION: PROJECTING 5 CENTIMETERS

RL0702_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO

RL0702+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION

RL0702

RL0702 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

RL0702 HISTORY - 1934 MONUMENTED CGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1943 MARK NOT FOUND CGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1978 GOOD USGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1985 GOOD NGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 20010615 GOOD USPSQD

RL0702 HISTORY - 20040809 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL0702

RL0702 STATION DESCRIPTION

RL0702

RL0702'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1943

RL0702'2.5 MI E FROM EWEN.

RL0702'2.5 MILES EAST ALONG THE DULUTH, SOUTH SHORE AND ATLANTIC

RL0702'RAILROAD FROM THE STATION AT EWEN, ONTONAGON COUNTY, AT A

RL0702'CROSSING KNOWN IN 1934 AS BALTIMORE CROSSING, 15 FEET NORTH

RL0702'OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE TRACK, AND AT THE EAST CATTLE GUARD.

RL0702'A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED B 50 1934 AND SET IN THE TOP OF A

RL0702'CONCRETE POST. NOTE-- PROBABLY TORN OUT BY EXCAVATION OF RR

RL0702'DITCH.

RL0702

RL0702 STATION RECOVERY (1978)

RL0702

RL0702'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1978

RL0702'THIS MARK WAS PREVIOUSLY REPORTED AS NOT BEING RECOVERED. THE MARK IS

RL0702'LOCATED AS DESCRIBED AND ADD 25 FT. EAST OF RR CULVERT NO. 252.45 AND

RL0702'DELETE THE REFERENCE TO CATTLE GUARD.

RL0702

RL0702 STATION RECOVERY (1985)

RL0702

RL0702'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1985

RL0702'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. A NEW DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS. 3.9 KM (2.4

RL0702'MI) WESTERLY ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 28 FROM ITS JUNCTION WITH U.S.

RL0702'HIGHWAY 45 IN BRUCE CROSSING, 182.6 M (599.1 FT) EAST OF THE

RL0702'CENTERLINE OF NORTH BALTIMORE ROAD, 92.0 M (301.8 FT) NORTH OF THE

RL0702'CENTERLINE OF THE HIGHWAY, 61.9 M (203.1 FT) NORTH OF THE NORTHEAST

RL0702'CORNER OF A WHITE HOUSE, AND 4.6 M (15.1 FT) NORTH OF THE NEAR RAIL OF

RL0702'THE SOO LINE RAILROAD.

RL0702'THE MARK IS 0.3 METERS W FROM A WITNESS POST

RL0702'THE MARK IS 0.6 M ABOVE THE TRACKS.

RL0702

RL0702 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

RL0702

RL0702'RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 2001 (GG)

RL0702'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

RL0702

RL0702 STATION RECOVERY (2004)

RL0702

RL0702'RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 2004 (GG)

RL0702'MARK NOT FOUND.

*** retrieval complete.

Elapsed Time = 00:00:01

Edited by Z15
Our process for retrieving recoveries off the web is not working right now. As soon as it is, I'll process any recoveries submitted.

So does that mean we wait for notice that it is working (and how do we get notice?), and then re-submit anything that hasn't appeared, or will they find things already in queue to process?

Our process for retrieving recoveries off the web is not working right now. As soon as it is, I'll process any recoveries submitted.

So does that mean we wait for notice that it is working (and how do we get notice?), and then re-submit anything that hasn't appeared, or will they find things already in queue to process?

Wait and see I guess.

Edited by Z15

A couple folks have mentioned the use of DS World. I started using DS World to submit reports in December 2015. Reports submitted through DS World seem to be included in the database much faster than the web based interface. I submitted three reports on 1/7/17, and the datasheets were updated by the end of January. Same experience with 12 reports submitted in early December. All 12 were updated when I checked shortly after the first of the year.

Bob

I inquired whether the backlog would be processed or lost and got this reply:

Hi Bill,

As soon as this problem is resolved, I'll process all backlogged recoveries immediately. I'm very sorry for this delay but at the moment, there's nothing I can do personally. Thank you (and all the folks) for your patience.

Deb

Some marks I reported via web form in 2016 have now been updated, some time in the last week I think.

They are working off the backlog or perhaps are caught up now. Hurrah!

I now see 2016 marks as well......one of mine was for 10/16/16.

Kind of funny, Pwr Sqd guy found it once but same guy could not find it again a few years later..LOL

I spotted the old MWP driving down the old RR grade (now ORV trail) with my RZR at 40 mph

RL0702

RL0702 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

RL0702 HISTORY - 1934 MONUMENTED CGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1943 MARK NOT FOUND CGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1978 GOOD USGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 1985 GOOD NGS

RL0702 HISTORY - 20010615 GOOD USPSQD

RL0702 HISTORY - 20040809 MARK NOT FOUND USPSQD

RL0702 HISTORY - 20161016 GOOD USGSNP

Edited by Z15

Pwr Sqd guy found it once but same guy could not find it again a few years later.

I have a theory that those folks had to turn in a sheet with check boxes for Found and Not Found, with no option for "didn't have time to look" or "didn't look hard."

The data base has been updated with recovery reports I submitted via web form on Nov 22.  That's quite up to date, about 5 working days ago!

What's missing is action on a couple of destroyed marks that I sent in pictures of in July and August and, after seeing no action, duplicated in October.  They have my NF reports, but in each case I went back and spent time with the metal detector and found the disk, one in part of the broken post and the other on its pipe laying horizontally under the grass.  I'm pretty sure my photos are good enough to be sufficient for a Destroyed.

Not for the Destroyed report, but I did submit NF saying "probably destroyed" before going back and spending more time with the metal detector to find the actual disks.  So it is pretty easy to guess who actually reported it.  I "removed the mark from the area to prevent confusion by someone putting it back near where it was."

One of them was discussed and pictured here.

I'm guessing that "Deb Brown" is now a job description and no longer the original person who handled it 15 years ago, and the present person performing that duty just did it differently.

Edited by Bill93
Add link