Red Cross and Red Crescent

I'm surprised that there isn't a category dedicated to Red Cross and Red Crescent what do you think?

This category will be similar to other existing ones and it will accept the buildings (headquarters, delegations, meeting houses, chapter or other names that they are referred as) and i considered to accept monuments dedicated to the red cross too.

Some examples: (click on the description to see the image source)

7e553c1a-9108-4563-be9e-39ace502ed23.jpg

American Red Cross National Headquarters in Washington

8775b026-37bf-40ec-9c53-ae48082b587e.jpg

American R.C. Middletown, Connecticut

m13240219_514x260-DaytonBldg.jpg

American Red Cross Dayton Area Chapter

ee9e0416-5314-420f-851b-4502e5618d3d.jpg

Vienna, Austria

63057d59-aff8-4691-ab0c-ccee95af9fd3.jpg

Viana do Castelo, Portugal

Monuments:

4730e89a-811e-4ceb-9049-0c6d76605fda.jpg

Bailey Island, Maine

sekijyuji.jpg

Naruto City, Tokushima, Japan

The Red Cross Monument was unveiled in September 2011 by the prefectural chapter of the Japanese Red Cross. Set in the northern part of the German Park, this monument honors the memory of the German POWs with the words "in honor of universal humanity and benevolence". This engraving refers to the historical fact that the German POWs of Bando, even though plagued themselves by a lot of hardships, still found the energy to organize a charity concert for their German comrades who were held in the Siberian Vladivostok.

The connection to the Red Cross can be found in the program for the concert. This poster can be seen at the monument as well and reminds us of the humanitarian spirit that existed in Bando.

475px-Gedenkstein-rotes-kreuz-1864.jpg

Commemorates the first use of the Red Cross symbol in an armed conflict during the Battle of Dybbøl in 1864. Jointly erected in 1989 by the national Red Cross societies of Denmark and Germany.

This one mentioned by Torgut would also be accepted:

Fellows, in which category shall I insert a memorial plaque located on a spot where an international Red Cross officer was shot in Sarajevo during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina?

I don't think this is a situation for Political Revolutions (a category I really dislike anyway). Red Cross has nothing to do with politics, it's just a homage to an officer from that organization who was shot down. The homage has a reference to the work of the organization as a whole. And it's a plaque, nothing in the image that will change this :-)

What do you think of the idea?

Maybe avalid idea because the Red Cross is something special and unique.

I know a Red Cross Memorial dedicated to Henry Dunant here in Germany.

What about a bridge or a street named by Henry Dunant as the founder of the red cross??

What about a paramedic station managed by the Red Cross??

What about other buildings (shops, schools, storage, ...) managed by the Red Cross??

What objects/locations will be accepted?

Hi Tante.Hossi,

Thank you for your input, those are valid questions that should be discussed.

"What about a bridge or a street named by Henry Dunant as the founder of the red cross?"

- I think that this should not be accepted unless there is a commemorative plaque dedicating it.

"What about a paramedic station managed by the Red Cross??

What about other buildings (shops, schools, storage, ...) managed by the Red Cross??"

- I think it would be ideal that the category be more inclusive and less exclusive. So if an orphanage, school or paramedic station belongs to the Red Cross I think it should be accepted.

What is your opinion?

I don't think a storage building managed by the Red Cross is interesting or informative. Also, it could be temporary, as in warehouse space needed in a disaster-stricken city that will be needed and operating for some period of time, then will close when the emergency help is not needed anymore.

Bridges or streets named for RC figures - no. I agree these should not be accepted.

Historic markers/monument dedicated to Red Cross - yes

Locations of HQs and PERMANENT RC buildings, including FORMER RC HQs & buildings - yes

Paramedic citations managed by RC - no. These could possibly go in Fire stations or may be temporary.

Red Cross blood donation centers - no. Redundant with an existing category.

I don't think a storage building managed by the Red Cross is interesting or informative. Also, it could be temporary, as in warehouse space needed in a disaster-stricken city that will be needed and operating for some period of time, then will close when the emergency help is not needed anymore.

Bridges or streets named for RC figures - no. I agree these should not be accepted.

Historic markers/monument dedicated to Red Cross - yes

Locations of HQs and PERMANENT RC buildings, including FORMER RC HQs & buildings - yes

Paramedic citations managed by RC - no. These could possibly go in Fire stations or may be temporary.

Red Cross blood donation centers - no. Redundant with an existing category.

Hi Benchmark Blasterz,

Thank you for your input and help in creating this category :grin:

Yes i didn't mention former RC headquarters or other buildings but those are also accepted (except the temporary ones) :smile:

Yes I agree the temporary structures created or occupied to support a emergency, disaster or other event should not be accepted.

I have already thought about the possibility that some sites may be also waymarked in other categories, but I think it is acceptable to incorporate these in the category for a better representation of what is the Red Cross and all that it does for the good of the community :smile:

A bit like we will not exclude a church of a churches category just because it has a bell tower :bad:

I like the idea. I think, every permanent Red Cross location should be viable for this category as well as all monuments. But not streets and bridges or other structures (unless there's a commemorative plaque, but then the plaque should be the waymarked object). There are also some museums dedicated to the Red Cross.

I also do not see any problem with potential overlaps with other existing categories, but when it comes to the Red Cross the situation is a bit more complicated than usual. The Red Cross exists in almost every country of the world, but they way the appear in the public perception can be very different. In some countries, e.g. here in Switzerland, you will hardly ever notice any Red Cross buildings and it will need some research to find one. They work in the background, they are strong in educating and coordinating the various paramedic associations, search and rescue teams, blood donation centers and so on. All these associations are strongly connected to the Red Cross, but they act under their own brands. So, there will be hardly any overlap. In other countries, like Germany, the Red Cross is omnipresent. The German Red Cross has large permanent stations in almost every town and they totally dominate the paramedic sector with their own staff and equipment. Here the overlap will be large. Most other countries will be somewhere in between these two extremes.

@Marine Biologist: Funny, this new category fits perfect to you!

@razalas: Congratulations on Waymark 5,000 and the new category.

It's nice that you notice. Than you. :grin:

Congratulations! Great new category and making it to the big 5,000.

Thank you. The two circling hawks were the first to post. :grin:

I wanted to make this small improvements to the category before it became active, but it became active before i could do that so, i made it now.

Here are the cahnges:

Add to "Not accepted in the Category:":

- Any building with a red cross or red crescent on it that doesn't belongs to the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.

Add to "Accepted in the Category:" in the Historical Markers line:

[if a Historical Markers is about a building or monument and is next to it , it must be waymarked as a group in one waymark.]

Also two variables with drop down menu :

Emblem:

If is a Red Cross, Red Crescent, Red Crystal or mix location?

Type:

If is a Building, Monument, Plaque or Historical marker?

I hope this is ok.

Thank you. :grin: