Travel Bug - New Geocacher Question

GGCR

Hi everyone,

We are new at Geocaching and recently found a TB.

There are 2 identifiers on it, one is in the means of an official metal tag, the other is on a laminated piece of paper with a number starting with TB.

If I remember reading, these numbers should never be posted?

Which number do we use to log, I entered both and they both seemed to reach the same page of the TB.

Thanks.

Edited by GGCR

Hi!

The number starting with TB can be made public, as it just takes you to the listing page of the trackable. The other number (tracking number) is used as a proof that you've seen the physical TB, and shouldn't be made public. Use it to log the TB as retrieved (if you've taken it from the cache and intend to drop it in another cache), or as discovered (if you left it where you saw it).

Hope that helps

Hi everyone,

We are new at Geocaching and recently found a TB.

There are 2 identifiers on it, one is in the means of an official metal tag, the other is on a laminated piece of paper with a number starting with TB.

If I remember reading, these numbers should never be posted?

Which number do we use to log, I entered both and they both seemed to reach the same page of the TB.

Thanks.

Hi!

The number starting with TB can be made public, as it just takes you to the listing page of the trackable. The other number (tracking number) is used as a proof that you've seen the physical TB, and shouldn't be made public. Use it to log the TB as retrieved (if you've taken it from the cache and intend to drop it in another cache), or as discovered (if you left it where you saw it).

Hope that helps

Perfect answer.

I just have a few comments to add. If you tried to use the "TB" number to log it, (except for logging just a note) you would get an error. If you get an error with the other "secret" number, you've made a mistake in reading the number on the tag; these can be tricky, 1 looking like I, 0, O, Q looking alike, S & 5, B & 8, Z & 2, maybe some others that In'm not thinking of right off. Good for you for coming here to ask the question! :)

Thank you very much to both of you for your answers; the forums are a great source of information about GeoCaching, and its good to know there are others out there who are able to help with questions.

We found GeoCache as a top app in the App Store so thought we would give it a try. After finding 2 caches as a free member and upgraded to Premium Member straight away as we knew it would be money well spent. So at the moment we are still learning but it is a great journey we have been on so far.

Thanks!