TB kidnapped - advice needed

dandan2

hi all,

In march I registered a new TB and set it out in the wild. It was doing really well and started traveling. around May a geocaching user picked up my TB and took it to Spain. the user kept the TB for well over a month before I decided to send her a polite email asking her to move it on. I did get a reply from her which stated she was going to move it on. but now over 5 months later and numerous polite emails the user is ignoring and she is refusing to move the TB on.

can anyone give me advice how I can possibly retrieve my TB or persuade the user to move it on.

thank you in advance

DAN

hi all,

In march I registered a new TB and set it out in the wild. It was doing really well and started traveling. around May a geocaching user picked up my TB and took it to Spain. the user kept the TB for well over a month before I decided to send her a polite email asking her to move it on. I did get a reply from her which stated she was going to move it on. but now over 5 months later and numerous polite emails the user is ignoring and she is refusing to move the TB on.

can anyone give me advice how I can possibly retrieve my TB or persuade the user to move it on.

thank you in advance

DAN

You have done everything you can, in fact if you really sent "numerous" emails, you have probably done too much. No matter how polite you think you're being, after one or two, it begins to feel like harassment.

I kinda agree with NanCycle, we've noticed many instances locally of folks never seeing their trackable again, after they notified the kidnapper holder a few times.

I stopped doing a certain cache type, after a couple COs hassled me in emails, so though in the wrong, I can understand how that holder may take it.

Well, I think it is sad... My daughter and I have registered our first TB and set it out 6 months ago... Very fast it was retrieved but since that, nothing. I can see that the recent holder is active, listed a lots of found caches in the meantime but no logs for our TBC. I sent him an email, asking him at least log our Tea the little corpse as "visited" but no action. It is disappointing, especially for my daughter. It makes me reconsider the idea to register another TBC...

Edited by Tres Musketyros

Well, I think it is sad... My daughter and I have registered our first TB and set it out 6 months ago... Very fast it was retrieved but since that, nothing. I can see that the recent holder is active, listed a lots of found caches in the meantime but no logs for our TBC. I sent him an email, asking him at least log our Tea the little corpse as "visited" but no action. It is disappointing, especially for my daughter. It makes me reconsider the idea to register another TBC...

We've noticed locally that those folks who hold onto TBs, and "visit" every cache they search with another's trackable, seem to be the ones who "misplace" them (rather than those who simply retrieve and drop).

On Visit logs without pics, trackables could have been lost within a few days after retrieval, since most are only "visiting" with that code.

If it doesn't turn up in a couple months, you can re-use the code on a similar trackable if you'd like.

Just be sure to make the code noticeable, so that doll doesn't end up swag. :)

Burned in, etched, simply drawn on with a sharpie, the code belongs to you.

I am kind of in the same situation. I purchased a trackable online, and when it came in, I made up a page/description for it, and placed it in the next cache that I found.

The next cacher that found it, logged it on 07/16/2016. I have yet to hear anything about it since. I have contacted the user, with a polite message on the site, and an email. (Same thing written on both), and have yet to hear back from them, so I logged it as missing, and have decided to just order a replacement trackable, and restart.

I am kind of in the same situation. I purchased a trackable online, and when it came in, I made up a page/description for it, and placed it in the next cache that I found.

The next cacher that found it, logged it on 07/16/2016. I have yet to hear anything about it since. I have contacted the user, with a polite message on the site, and an email. (Same thing written on both), and have yet to hear back from them, so I logged it as missing, and have decided to just order a replacement trackable, and restart.

As strange as it sounds, July isn't that long ago. You should hold tight a bit longer than that. Now that you have logged it missing, it will no longer appear in the holders inventory, and s/he will likely forget about it.

You don't have to buy a new trackable. You can re-use the code. There are several companies that make replacement tags you can use, or make your own.

As strange as it sounds, July isn't that long ago. You should hold tight a bit longer than that. Now that you have logged it missing, it will no longer appear in the holders inventory, and s/he will likely forget about it.

You don't have to buy a new trackable. You can re-use the code. There are several companies that make replacement tags you can use, or make your own.

Yeah, that's what I have done, is purchased a replacement tag.

The user that has it, was last seen Saturday, 09 July 2016 on the site, and only became a member 6 days previous, so I think I'm safe to say its gone.

Don't count on it being gone yet. I had one picked up by a similar cacher (couple weeks joined and then out). He ignored my contact but a year to the day later he dropped it in another cache saying he just found it. But the sad part is he was the second person to find it and when he dropped it off it was picked up by someone who also hasn't dropped it off again. My advice is wait awhile - July isn't that long ago.

The user that has it, was last seen Saturday, 09 July 2016 on the site, and only became a member 6 days previous, so I think I'm safe to say its gone.

If they only visit the site via an app, using the API, the site wont register their visit.

It's only if they visit the site via a webpage thet their last visit is recorded...

If they only visit the site via an app, using the API, the site wont register their visit.

It's only if they visit the site via a webpage thet their last visit is recorded...

Their last cache was found on the 22nd, so yep. :)

They knew enough to grab it from a cache it wasn't logged into (a pmo cache no less).

There's no other log (even of the TO placing it) before theirs, so can't get any other info to help...

Don't count on it being gone yet. I had one picked up by a similar cacher (couple weeks joined and then out). He ignored my contact but a year to the day later he dropped it in another cache saying he just found it. But the sad part is he was the second person to find it and when he dropped it off it was picked up by someone who also hasn't dropped it off again. My advice is wait awhile - July isn't that long ago.

+1

We're seeing a lotta trackables grabbed by new folks.

Urban, and TB hotels mostly.

Some read the help/info pages, some don't. Some come back to play.

I don't think July's that long either.

We leave a lot of trackables in caches.

With so many now calling pill bottles small, I just haven't grabbed as many trackables as I could ( no room for them).

Wouldn't feel so bad about leaving them if I did any urban hides, but there really should be some room for larger containers in the woods...

The longest I held onto a trackable (because of cache size/those I'll go to) was a month and a half, but I emailed the TO telling 'em why.

Folks want trackables grabbed by responsible folks, put out bigger hides in those higher D/T areas. :laughing: