eTrex and USB connection

Hi All - I wonder if you can help me please?

I have bought a fairly old Garmin eTrex to get me going, and I contacted Garmin for a lead to up and download data.

The one end fits the GPS but the other is a serial connection, which my computer (laptop) does not have and the only one available!!

I tried a serial to USB adapter but that did not work, and the only thing I can think of is perhaps buying a USB plug from say Maplin, cutting off the serial plug and soldering the USB to it.

I have no idea of which connections I would have to use and wondered if any member may be able to help with advice on this please?

Thanks in advance - Chris

I tried a serial to USB adapter but that did not work, and the only thing I can think of is perhaps buying a USB plug from say Maplin, cutting off the serial plug and soldering the USB to it.

That's not going to work, it's not just the shape of the plug that's different, it's different signals and protocols etc.

I do know people have used the old Etrex with a serial<->USB converter, and I've seen it discussed on the forums in the past.

Might be worth searching this and maybe the UK and Ireland forum, e.g. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=274000&st=0&p=4709309&hl=serial%20usb&fromsearch=1entry4709309

You should be able to use a USB/serial adapter. Be aware, though, that you need a program that is capable of talking serial to a Garmin GPS. What program are you trying to use? Also make sure the interface settings on the GPS are set to the correct protocol.

Thanks for the replies

I have tried a few different programs but Easy GPS gave options for different GPS units, but none of the eTrex listed were recognized. I changed the COM port etc. but still nothing. I have got a serial adapter which is what I was using and that does show in DEVICE MANAGER, but the Garmin does not!

I thought if I could find out how they are wired for the USB end, I could cut the existing serial connector off the lead and solder on a USB but have no idea how that would be wired. I have got a photo, but cant fond how to upload it onto here!

Edited by Montefaro36

The USB/serial device needs its own software. Do you have that? The software is for assigning a COM port. Once you have that and a COM port assigned to the adapter, then Easy GPS should work fine.

As previously stated, you can't wire a USB plug on to the serial. It is a completely different type of communication.

RED90 - Thanks for the reply and help and all noted about adding a USB plug not working.

I searched for software and came up with an Add On for browsers but none of them say they are supported (Firefox, Chrome and IE)although I searched Firefox and found one which installed but if I go into Easy GPS and select the Garmin, it throws up errors saying it cannot find the unit. I also downloaded GSAK, another GPS program in which you can change the COM port but that does not recognise the unit either !

I dont really understand what the Plug in has to do with anything but the information is here :- http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/gcp.html

I have checked DEVICE MANAGER and the serial cable is installed in there, and I have chaged the COM port to different numbers but no joy I am sorry to say !

You are looking for the wrong thing. The USB/serial adapter must have its own software, supplied by the company that makes the adapter. You need to figure out the model of the adapter and look for software that matches it. You do not want to change anything in the device manager.

The plug-in you linked to has nothing to do with this.

Have you checked the interface settings on the etrex? what are they set to?

You are looking for the wrong thing. The USB/serial adapter must have its own software, supplied by the company that makes the adapter. You need to figure out the model of the adapter and look for software that matches it. You do not want to change anything in the device manager.

The plug-in you linked to has nothing to do with this.

Have you checked the interface settings on the etrex? what are they set to?

The interface setting is set to Garmin - there are also options for Garmin DGPS, MMEA out, Text out, RTCM IN, RTCM/MMEA, RTCM/Text and None. I have found the drivers for the cable but no other software. All that is written on it is 340, so did a search and found the driver http://www.mediafire.com/file/34mnqlwzr4bxx6i/CH341SER.EXE - I am sorry for all the hassle and appreciate the help

Edited by Montefaro36