How do I make my own trackable?

TheByteSlinger

Can I just have anything as a trackable or do I have to buy a Geocache coin?

You have to buy the tracking number, cheapest way is to buy a Travel Bug tag. Then you can use that number on any object that you want to, even yourself.

Most common way to use it is to attache the tag to a small toy, etc. but it can be written, etched, engraved, tattooed on instead.

Can I just have anything as a trackable or do I have to buy a Geocache coin?

You can place most anything into a cache, with attached instructions that the finder is to contact you or whatever the plan is. I've found a couple of those, over the years. I think that kind of thing confuses people even more than TBs do :anibad:. Groundspeak's definition of "Trackable" is a particular kind of official game piece, with the tracking number purchased from them.

Rather than a “Geocoin”, you may buy a less expensive tag such as a “The Travel Bug” trackable tag, and securely attach that to a small durable item. The cost of the tag includes tracking, logs, maps, online TB description, etc. I recently bought a bunch of trackable tags on close-out, even cheaper than the typical TB price. An official "trackable tag" is recognizable, which could cause a wayward trackable item to be returned to the game.

And you can revive the TB (re-use the tracking number) if it vanishes from play.

Edited by kunarion

You could make pretty-much anything trackable, but since even items with official trackable tags sometimes get swiped, the odds of someone noticing your make-shift ("email me" or whatever) trackable are very slim.

The ones easily recognized by most are the official travel bug tags.

I've seen some rather elaborate trackable items at events in Europe. They're obviously never meant to be released in the wild, but as trackable items to be discovered at events.

If you want to purchase in £'s, I think that some of the "geocaching" retailers on UK Ebay have tracking numbers for sale.

You might have to rummage about a bit to find them, (something that us Geocachers are good at, of course!)

John