Mormon Meetinghouses

Hi,

I visited Rosenheim to waymark a mormon chapel (looks like a church). I took pictures, informations etc. to work out a nice Waymark. Back home I noticed that there is only a category for "Mormon Temples" not for the chapels/meetinghouses. So my find could not be waymarked, I know that not everything has to be waymarked but churches are nice no matter which religion.

What do you think? Maybe we should expand the "temples" category to "temples and meetinghouses". Not sure if the leader likes that. Where do you put your mormon chapels?

Here is a map with the meetinghouses

Thanks,

lumbricus

I agree, there are two near me. I also want to waymark all the "off-brand" churches that don't neatly fit into an existing category. Many but not all are labelled community churches. If you can't find that they have been baptist or methodist or any other name brand, but are still interesting buildings what do you do with them?

According to the description of the Mormon Temple category: "There are about 145 LDS temples currently operating or announced." 78 are already approved.

lumbricus, as you have suggested in the past, consolidate categories when possible.

I do not think we need a new category for Mormon meeting houses when the Mormon Temple category can be expanded. Like so many categories that were started way back when, this is one of those cases where is was started in 2006 and is too limited by today's standards.

Canadian Maritime Heritage Sites - Category Proposals New Brunswick Heritage Properties - PEI Heritage Properties

The following is quoted and there is more discussion about consolidating the existing category:

Remember this: "Idea: Write to the leader enviroguy (Dan) and ask him if it would be okay to rename "Nova Scotia Heritage Properties" in "Maritimes - Canadian Maritime Heritage Sites" and include the other provinces or territories. He can promote you to an officer and give you the rights to work on the category description. Normally I wouldn't change long existing categories but in this case it makes really sense, since 2010 are listed only 14 Waymarks. So I see no difficulties in doing so. The category icon will be fixed easily."

Perhaps taking your own advice is the best solution.

BTW: There are approximately 211 existing categories that have less than 100 approvals. Of which 79 (37.4%) have 50 or less.

Edited by BK-Hunters

I do agree that there are a relatively low number of LDS temples however their churches and temples are used for distinctly different functions thus I would understand if there was resistance to combining the two. Though it is worth asking if they would expand the existing category.

According to the description of the Mormon Temple category: "There are about 145 LDS temples currently operating or announced." 78 are already approved.

lumbricus, as you have suggested in the past, consolidate categories when possible.

I do not think we need a new category for Mormon meeting houses when the Mormon Temple category can be expanded. Like so many categories that were started way back when, this is one of those cases where is was started in 2006 and is too limited by today's standards.

Perhaps taking your own advice is the best solution.

If the category is expanded, add a new pop-up menu variable for type: Temple, Meeting House, …

A category officer(s) could easily edit the existing 78 waymarks and set them all to Temple.

I have not been able to waymark several LDS churches in Dallas and other cities because they are not Temples. As I understand it, Temples are vastly different from churches, used for the most important rites, for example (I'm not LDS, so I'm sure I am messing that distinction up - sorry).

I would ask the Mormon Temples category managers if they would expand, and if they refuse, only then would I approach them about creating a new category just for LDS Churches. :)

The temples category don't want to expand the category, they focus on the temples. I got an answer today. So the only way would be a new category. Not sure if we should create a new one.

So jbtslc who is just a regular member, leader and wants to focus on temples...

My question is how is that someone who is NOT a premium member still a leader of a group?

The stats are: jbtslc (leader) ZERO waymarks posted, 10 visits posted. ZERO activity in 10 years and he want to focus on the temples ????

Team GeoDuo 2 waymarks posted in 2006 ZER0 for the last 10 years and 7 visits in 2006 ZERO for the last ten years and

they want to focus on temples ???

B Family 5 waymarks last one was posted in 2011 5 visits in 2006 ZERO for the last ten years and they want to focus on temples ???

So. what am I missing here?

What are they focusing on, because it sure is not Mormon Temples.

Edited by BK-Hunters

jbtslc last approved Waymark was 3/4/2012 that is four years ago. Guess he lost focus..

Team GeoDuo last approved Waymarks was 4/8/2013 that is 3 years, 4 months ago. Guess they lost focus...

B Family has approved 13 out of the last 16 waymarks. They seem focused.

Stats are from 3/4/2012 to 9/5/2016

Category: date created: 6/15/2006 with 78 waymarks approved since 1/10/2006

Who are showbizkid and 5winters? (at one time they both were officers) Both have long ago vanished from Waymarking.

Guess they lost focus...

No, I am not going to bring up old threads about Mormon Temples...though I could...

Edited by BK-Hunters

The group members may not be active through waymark visits or posts but they are the waymark reviewers who have carefully kept the Mormon Temple category clean. There are no unqualified waymarks in that category.

If someone wishes to start a group/category for non-Temple LDS buildings, I would be pleased to assist.

I am not LDS.

Edited by elyob

If you want to have a general category, let's do a category for religious buildings that do not have their own category. This would include Mormon churches, but also a lot of off-brand churches. There are a lot of catchall groups that exclude things that have their own category. This could include former churches as long as they weren't a church that can be accepted into another category.

Edited by ripraff

This idea of a general (catch-all) for religious buildings was debated on this post by OP: pstidsen Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=309485&st=0&p=5233403&hl=mormon&fromsearch=1entry5233403

Remember the discussion about Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious? This is a (catch all) category that passed peer review in 2014 and currently has 724 approved waymarks.

I would say this worked out well and did not seem to create an upheaval in the Waymarking community.

Perhaps a new thread to continue this discussion is a good idea.

Edited by BK-Hunters