Souvenir Confusion

Dear community,

have a look at this brave fellow geocacher's* profile and his aquired souvenirs:

R.s Profile

The profile tells us that he is a member since August 2015. However if you have a look at his souvenir page, it shows that he owns the souvenir "International Geocaching Day 2014", which strangely enough he "Acquired on 24.08.2016" .

So it appears that not only there's a bug - alas not from the travel species this time - within the odd country souvenirs (with several countries still missing after so many years of geocaching - different story though), but as well within the heavily promoted badges around the various geocaching myths...

Do you also have found similar discrepancies in the range of souvenirs? What is your opinion on this?

Regards M. / L3V

LosTresViajeros

*) I'm in no way related to him; only ran across him while looking for a TB I once owned and which is now in his hands... - To make it clear: This is not meant to blame this fellow cacher in any way, but to give an example on weird database outcomes within the system...

The profile tells us that he is a member since August 2015. However if you have a look at his souvenir page, it shows that he owns the souvenir "International Geocaching Day 2014", which strangely enough he "Acquired on 24.08.2016" .

Well, he logged the date of his first cache as 24.08.2016 so it must be that the website is supporting the gifting of some? souvenirs at later dates if you create a find log for the proper date. I would consider it a feature for the site to support your past souvenirs if you cached for awhile without creating an account or even splitting from an existing account and then creating a new account.

Now if you think someone claimed a souvenir "wrongly".. No one cares.

Edited by fbingha

It's somewhat by design although it does leave room to be exploited and there are legitimate situations where it might happen as noted above.

I think we were awarded one of the road trip souvenirs for a recently submitted log (Indeed, 2015 road trip "put on your thinking cap" awarded 11-Sep-16), as we are still trying to piece together a holiday caching trip from last summer because we lost our good notes (Montana, Idaho, Washington (HQ), Oregon (Tribute Plaque)).

It's somewhat by design although it does leave room to be exploited and there are legitimate situations where it might happen as noted above.

I think we were awarded one of the road trip souvenirs for a recently submitted log (Indeed, 2015 road trip "put on your thinking cap" awarded 11-Sep-16), as we are still trying to piece together a holiday caching trip from last summer because we lost our good notes (Montana, Idaho, Washington (HQ), Oregon (Tribute Plaque)).

There is a well known hole that allows anyone to log a find on a cache which will qualify for a souvenir, then immediately delete the log, but the souvenir will remain on their profile.

As far as the country/region based souvenirs go: They have been released in several "batches" over the past few years. After the initial group consisting of the U.S. States, Canadian Provinces, and German Bundesland (states) were released, the next few souvenirs became available for some countries (based on responses in an old feedback system). Over the next couple of years a couple of batches of country/regional based were releases, more or less based on the number of caches available in the country. The last batch came out almost a year ago and at this point only about 1/8th of all countries have souvenirs available. We have been told in the past by someone at HQ that they hope to eventually have a souvenir for every country but nothing has been said about when that might happen.

Their log on the cache which qualified them for the 2014 souvenir reads "Encontrado con JAVIOL.", and JAVIOL logged and was awarded that souvenir in 2014. This cacher only had a few finds and even fewer souvenirs so most likely someone deciding to go it alone now and back logging all their old finds - nothing wrong in that, and nothing wrong in the souvenirs being awarded for those finds.

Having said that I'm pretty much in agreement with Narcissa about the whole "issue".

There aren't enough words to describe how uninteresting someone else's souvenirs are...

I find someone else's souvenirs to be about on a par with the gallery of someone who posts a "cache selfile" for every find.

...and I can't fathom what would bring someone to scrutinize a fellow geocacher's profile and then post to the forum about it.

I have met enough strange people to understand that some would do it. Still at a loss about the why part, though.

There is a well known hole that allows anyone to log a find on a cache which will qualify for a souvenir, then immediately delete the log, but the souvenir will remain on their profile.

I thought that after a while the date-specific souvenirs were turned off. Guess not all were.