High data consumption!?

Hi!

Just a question: Over here in one of the German FB groups some people came up with the question regarding data consumption while using the apps. It looks like it easily could eat up ~500MB and more a day. Is there any info regarding this topic and/or things that could be done to reduce data consumption? Like offline maps or such?

Thanks,

Christian

The iPhone will tell you how much data each app has used, so it is easy to compare the usage before and an outing and see exactly what was used. No need to speculate.

Are you sure you have read what I was asking for!? ;) I do know how much it consumed, I simply wondered if there's a good reason it was SO MUCH. 500MB a day, come on! If it's map data this should last for a whole country (ok, a small one...). Data for the caches itself shouldn't be that much. At least as long as someone just is doing a handful of caches!

At the moment the only reason I could think about might be the usage of new maps. As far as I understood the map will be cached and if these change completely they for sure have been reloaded then. Depending on the size of the map tiles this might work then with this amount of data. Still think it's pretty much, but it at least should stop then and go down to some 50MB a day or such...

Hi!

Just a question: Over here in one of the German FB groups some people came up with the question regarding data consumption while using the apps. It looks like it easily could eat up ~500MB and more a day. Is there any info regarding this topic and/or things that could be done to reduce data consumption? Like offline maps or such?

Thanks,

Christian

online maps will eat data and battery very quickly. choosing an application that can use offline maps, navigate (turn by turn directions) , guide (compass/ routing) , and display all your cache's information while using airplane mode will reduce data consumption drastically. it will also increase battery life dramatically.

you can wait until you have wifi service to download maps, and after caching upload your finds/logs, to save even more data.

i usually turn off the cellular radio when i leave the house, to prevent interruptions.

….

choosing an application that can use offline maps, navigate (turn by turn directions) , guide (compass/ routing) , and display all your cache's information while using airplane mode will reduce data consumption drastically. it will also increase battery life dramatically. …

Thx!

Regarding your advice which iOS Apps do you recommend?

….

choosing an application that can use offline maps, navigate (turn by turn directions) , guide (compass/ routing) , and display all your cache's information while using airplane mode will reduce data consumption drastically. it will also increase battery life dramatically. …

Thx!

Regarding your advice which iOS Apps do you recommend?

I have Cachly and Looking 4 Cache. Both are very nice with a constant data connection. I use them offline, and loaded a couple of offline maps into L4C. I much prefer my dedicated GPSr (Garmin Oregon 650T). Phone Apps fail in surprising ways at the worst possible moment, yet the Garmin just plain works (well, if in a rare instance it gets glitchy, do a reset and then it just plain works :anicute:).

So I use L4C as a database backup, and as a way to refresh cache info at a Hotspot. If I was rich (phone data plan), I'd use Cachly. Actually, in that case I'd dump the iPhone and buy a sweet Droid phone (Google Pixel anyone?) and use Locus Pro. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

I use Cachly with offline maps, though online maps are just a click away. You can download a lot to remain offline and functional or be online to look at photos, other online functions and post logs in real time, but not use any cellular data for maps. You can use it totally offline and log once you connect to wifi.You can use it in a manner that works best for you and your personal needs.