World's Simplest free app for geocaching

FieldHand

I live in a LifeCare establishment (aka an "Old Folks Home"). I have created a multistage (14 stages) geocaching circuit on our 105 acre property. While few residents are up to using it, I hope that visiting kids and grandkids and great grandkids might enjoy it. I need to locate a FREE downloadable app (or other program - say Google Maps?) that people can learn to use in a few minutes. Players would get the location of the first cache at the Front Desk along with a starting time. (We need to stagger the start times as the area covered is so small.) The first cache holds the location of the second cache and so on.

So all we need is the ability to enter a location manually, some sort of direction indicator and a measure of the remaining distance to the cache you are looking for. That's all! One page of written instructions has to cover everything from downloading to using it.

We do not want to download caches located outside of our property nor do we want our caches to be listed on any websites.

Of course, we need something that will work on either iPhones or Android phones.

We do not want to download caches located outside of our property nor do we want our caches to be listed on any websites.

Of course, we need something that will work on either iPhones or Android phones.

Oh yeah, of course...

This isn't a "getting Started" question if you're not interested in getting started. :)

Players would get the location of the first cache at the Front Desk along with a starting time. (We need to stagger the start times as the area covered is so small.) The first cache holds the location of the second cache and so on.

[/Quote]

I believe that a cache cannot require interaction with the staff of any business.

Of course, it can be done privately (not listed on any website) - what happens at Sunset Acres stays at Sunset Acres.

Why not avoid the use of gps equipment and have at each stage directions to the next stage? That way a lot of complication is avoided.

I live in a LifeCare establishment (aka an "Old Folks Home"). I have created a multistage (14 stages) geocaching circuit on our 105 acre property. While few residents are up to using it, I hope that visiting kids and grandkids and great grandkids might enjoy it. I need to locate a FREE downloadable app (or other program - say Google Maps?) that people can learn to use in a few minutes. Players would get the location of the first cache at the Front Desk along with a starting time. (We need to stagger the start times as the area covered is so small.) The first cache holds the location of the second cache and so on.

So all we need is the ability to enter a location manually, some sort of direction indicator and a measure of the remaining distance to the cache you are looking for. That's all! One page of written instructions has to cover everything from downloading to using it.

it might be easiest to have a loaner device that kids can check out at the front desk, that already has your application and waypoints (or caches/whatever) setup and ready to go. the user turns on the device, presses the only icon on the screen and locus/maverick/similar app starts up with the waypoints already in view, labeled "first/second/third' etc to make it very simple to use.

I've setup similar courses and it worked fine. i understand why you don't want it publicly available.

i like locus the most but have used cgeo with good results also. it just depends on user preference normally.

it all works offline, no need to revert go on the internet after you set it up.

good luck and have fun

it might be easiest to have a loaner device that kids can check out at the front desk, that already has your application and waypoints (or caches/whatever) setup and ready to go. the user turns on the device, presses the only icon on the screen and locus/maverick/similar app starts up with the waypoints already in view, labeled "first/second/third' etc to make it very simple to use.
IIRC, the GPS Adventures Exhibit did something like that (at least, it did when it was in Redding). There were some practice caches available, with loaner devices that already had the coordinates entered into them. (They also had a printed page with the coordinates, for those of us who had our own devices.)

We do something similar for the Intro to Geocaching course offered by the county parks department. We have loaner devices that already have the coordinates entered into them (although in that case, we're using actual caches rather than practice caches).