Notification when logs are changed

watersphere

Hi,

in the last months increased the number of logs like "later more", especially from smartphones by using a template.

But how does the owner know when it is "later"? It is annoying and almost impossible to open every day all listings of all my caches to see if a detailed log was posted afterwards.

Maybe such a feature could be made in that way that a notification is sent only when the log has changed significantly (for example, "count of character change > x").

Greetings

Christoph

Hi,

in the last months increased the number of logs like "later more", especially from smartphones by using a template.

But how does the owner know when it is "later"? It is annoying and almost impossible to open every day all listings of all my caches to see if a detailed log was posted afterwards.

Maybe such a feature could be made in that way that a notification is sent only when the log has changed significantly (for example, "count of character change > x").

Greetings

Christoph

I also think this would be a useful feature. I do almost all of my logging from Field Notes directly to my PC, but occasionally I'll log a cache or two from my phone and then I'll just put "More later." This is to alert the CO that I'm not just logging "Tftc" but do intend to make a proper log, if the CO is interested.

Hi, this facilty is available in ProjectGC.

Of course, for paying members... For others who don't pay for project-gc, but already pay for the geocaching premium membership, that would be a great feature. As well as a notification when images (spoilers, sometimes) are added to logs.

I'd love to have such notifications too. But it is not easy to code that. As we all could see, previous months effort resulted in changing the blue ribbon into the blue heart. Notifications are far more complex. But I am optimistic and believe that our children will be able to use that feature.

;)

I'd love to have such notifications too. But it is not easy to code that. As we all could see, previous months effort resulted in changing the blue ribbon into the blue heart. Notifications are far more complex. But I am optimistic and believe that our children will be able to use that feature.

;)

You made my day :lol:

The downside of this feature of Project-GC is, that I sometimes get contacted "Why have you changed your log? This is strange!" and I have to justify myself "I just changed BBCode to Markdown" or "I just found this stupid spelling mistake and corrected it" or "This log hadn't comply my own quality standard, I rewrote it" or "I forgot the counter and added it". If such a feature will be implemented there may be more of these stupid conversations and it feels like to be observed in every change I make on the website.

Edited by Cachologen

The downside of this feature of Project-GC is, that I sometimes get contacted "Why have you changed your log? This is strange!" and I have to justify myself "I just changed BBCode to Markdown" or "I just found this stupid spelling mistake and corrected it" or "This log hadn't comply my own quality standard, I rewrote it" or "I forgot the counter and added it".

I gather Project-GC doesn't send the CO the before and after versions so they can see these things for themselves.

If such a feature will be implemented there may be more of these stupid conversations and it feels like to be observed in every change I make on the website.

It's sad you think a conversation about your log is stupid. And if you don't know that you are being observed in every change you make on any website, it's probably good for you to be reminded.

The downside of this feature of Project-GC is, that I sometimes get contacted "Why have you changed your log? This is strange!" and I have to justify myself "I just changed BBCode to Markdown" or "I just found this stupid spelling mistake and corrected it" or "This log hadn't comply my own quality standard, I rewrote it" or "I forgot the counter and added it".

I gather Project-GC doesn't send the CO the before and after versions so they can see these things for themselves.

Exactly.

If such a feature will be implemented there may be more of these stupid conversations and it feels like to be observed in every change I make on the website.

It's sad you think a conversation about your log is stupid. And if you don't know that you are being observed in every change you make on any website, it's probably good for you to be reminded.

I don't think that conversation about my logs is stupid, I think it's stupid to justify for the change of a log - at least in most cases.

Recently someone asked me what I've changed. As I'd forgotten the changes I made, I calculated a diff between the online log and a log in my GSAK-database which luckily haven't been updated before and sent it to the CO.

We've 2005 log entries at the moment that are incompatible to markdown. Every time I read one of them accidentally, I change it to Markdown using the "convert"-feature. I don't think it's useful to justify myself for each of these changes.

I don't think its useful to justify myself for each correction of a spelling error - I used to write completely lowercase in the early days which I don't like anymore, because making better use of my native language, German has more importance to me than it had before and I change all of these logs if I stumble upon one of them.

After I've finished an elaborated log for a cache which is worth it, I read it again and sometimes correct it many times until I'm satisfied with it. Do you really want a mail on every change?

Sure I'll get used to it if GS implement this feature - I'll make a few templates and send what's appropriate.

Edit: Found two spelling errors - changed "ask" to "asked" in the third paragraph, changed "them" to "it" in the fourth paragraph - sorry for my bad English, I try hard to make it better.

Edited by Cachologen

I don't think that conversation about my logs is stupid, I think it's stupid to justify for the change of a log - at least in most cases.

OK. I assumed COs were just asking you about the changes. If the COs are demanding you justify your changes, then that would indeed be stupid, although I'd just ignore them rather than engaging in a conversation about it.

(Until now, I've been resisting the offer to convert my old logs to markdown, but lately I've started to feel a little silly about it. Now you've given me a good reason to continue.)

OK. I assumed COs were just asking you about the changes. If the COs are demanding you justify your changes, then that would indeed be stupid, although I'd just ignore them rather than engaging in a conversation about it.

It's your log not theirs, no justification needed for changing it...

Those COs are just nosey, they likely check their call display and call back the "unrecognised" numbers to query why they phoned, when it was a miss-dial.

It's your log not theirs, no justification needed for changing it...

Exactly.

Those COs are just nosey, they likely check their call display and call back the "unrecognised" numbers to query why they phoned, when it was a miss-dial.

Now I'm not sure what you're saying. Demanding a justification is significantly different than being nosy. Is there a difference between nosy and curious? Aren't they allowed to be curious? Why would someone be upset that the CO took an interest in their log? Isn't that the point? Didn't you change the log for the benefit of the people that might read it?

(And what's wrong with calling someone back that refuses to identify themselves? I don't know why anyone would bother, but if they did, I can't see how the calling party could be upset that they were called back. It's not as if you can tell it's a misdial.)

Now I'm not sure what you're saying. Demanding a justification is significantly different than being nosy. Is there a difference between nosy and curious? Aren't they allowed to be curious? Why would someone be upset that the CO took an interest in their log? Isn't that the point? Didn't you change the log for the benefit of the people that might read it?

(And what's wrong with calling someone back that refuses to identify themselves? I don't know why anyone would bother, but if they did, I can't see how the calling party could be upset that they were called back. It's not as if you can tell it's a misdial.)

Fair enough, I have clouded the issue. I never stated anyone was not allowed to be curious. Yes, although most would argue that they are the same; curious (positive connation) and nosey (negative connotation) are different. Yes you are allowed to be curious why some random phone number is on your call display. Cold calling a random phone number from your call display is nosey. If the random caller knows you or there is an important issue the calling party may leave a message or call back. I pretty much screen all my calls so I would never answer a random call back in the first place...

Edited by MKFmly

Fair enough, I have clouded the issue. I never stated anyone was not allowed to be curious. Yes, although most would argue that they are the same; curious (positive connation) and nosey (negative connotation) are different. Yes you are allowed to be curious why some random phone number is on your call display. Cold calling a random phone number from your call display is nosey. If the random caller knows you or there is an important issue the calling party may leave a message or call back. I pretty much screen all my calls so I would never answer a random call back in the first place...

Sorry, I disagree. You called me. I can't imagine any scenario where you could legitimately call me nosy for calling you back.

Anyway, never mind that. Let's stick to the topic: I get a notification that you changed your log. I ask you what the change is. Do you equate that to demanding justification?

Anyway, never mind that. Let's stick to the topic: I get a notification that you changed your log. I ask you what the change is. Do you equate that to demanding justification?

I have already stated that it's my log not the CO's, I am the Log Owner (LO).

As a CO it is certainly legitimate to be curious as to what changes were made; if that curiosity led a CO to use online tools to find the difference(s) then so be it, if that curiosity led a CO to contact the LO asking what the changes were that's being a "Mrs Kravitz" (google it if you don't get the reference), and if that nosiness led a CO to contact the LO asking them why it was changed (implying justification is required) then that is inappropriate.

I get it, it's akin to a personal sliding value judgement much like the point where we choose to be offended.