What is the blue heart next to list of logs?

noncentric

If the symbol had previously been a heart, and suddenly become a ribbon, the same people would complain.

In case there were tons of logs out there which mention that a blue heart had been awarded, yes there would exist such complaints and with a good reason like for the change from a ribbon to a heart as a lot of confusion is caused that could have been easily avoided at no price to pay.

Personally I think a heart is no more or less indicative than a ribbon.

While I do not agree, this is only a minor aspect within the issue in my opinion.

Edited by cezanne

2. Wonder how many of those complaining would also complain if the change had been the other way round

I think you think that's an insult, but objecting to change for no good reason is a legitimate complaint. But here, I think the case for the blue ribbon and against the blue heart is pretty good, so the objection is both that the change is to a symbol that's not as effective and that it's a change for no purpose, no merely one or the other.

It's not an insult, just an observation that some people will complain about any change. If the symbol had previously been a heart, and suddenly become a ribbon, the same people would complain.

A blue ribbon is commonly indicative as an award for being "the best" in a variety of competitions, such as wine shows, livestock shows, track and field events, etc. There are even "blue ribbon schools", an educational award given to schools for exemplary achievement. It every context, except perhaps a certain beer from Milwaukee, a blue ribbon is indicative for being "the best".

When the color blue is associated with an emotion, for example, "feeling blue" it is synonymous with "sad". Personally, I don't think I've ever found a geocache that caused me to feel sad, but a blue or "sad heart" does seem to me to be the opposite of what one would want to convey when awarding a favorite point to a cache.

It's not an insult, just an observation that some people will complain about any change. If the symbol had previously been a heart, and suddenly become a ribbon, the same people would complain.

Well, saying they'll mindlessly complain about any change is an insult.

Then I guess you haven't read the arguments because the heart really makes no sense at all, while the ribbon captured the idea very well.

Well, saying they'll mindlessly complain about any change is an insult.

Then I guess you haven't read the arguments because the heart really makes no sense at all, while the ribbon captured the idea very well.

+1

Attending the County fair last week, looking at everything from livestock to jam, reminded me about ribbons, and their meaning to others. :)

Edited by cerberus1

We haven't had much success in the past getting Groundspeak to revert changes to their little graphics.

Such as 2.png

Or bookmark_list.png

I applaud your optimism...

If everyone who uses this forum doesn't already know this, then <shrug>. Groundspeak isn't going to explain the change as that would set a precedent that they need to explain their changes and as someone in a similar industry, you don't want to get into the habit of discussing every change that you make with customers. Most don't care and the minority who do will drag you to the pits of hell arguing about it.

Frankly, I think it was changed because the UI designer on the app declared that they couldn't come up with a workable favorites ribbon that looked acceptable at the small size that the heart is used.