Strangest thing found while geocaching

Mn-treker

11 minutes ago, G0ldNugget said:

Found in the Nevada desert, an old, graffiti-decorated plane parked at a closed brothel named 'Angels Ladies'. The cache still there and active if you're ever headed down Route 66 out in the middle of nowhere.

plane.jpg

This reminds me of a cache I visited with a group a few years ago at the site of a small plane crash in the forest.

Plane.jpg.9701214fbb1e0d4d3b30fedb5fafae9d.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1

Followed a trail that got progressively weaker, then when it disappeared I began to walk around attempting to pick it up again. Got turned around and became "lost". Not "panicky" lost as I knew the trail was 150 metres away or so and my track log was active, let's just say "comfortably disoriented".

As I looked down at my GPS to orient myself back to the trail, something on the ground caught my eye, not natural. It was a small brown squareish object, mainly obstructed by dead pine needles. I went to pick it up and it was a wallet, full of cards, ID, insurance, and two $20 bills. I saw another $20 bill laying a metre away on the ground, it's color peeking through the pine needles. (Years of  geocaching has paid off having trained the eye to spot the slightest incongruities, lol!!) Everything was mouldy like it had been there a few years. Not wanting to carry out the smelly wallet and money in my pocket, I hand carried it all the way back to the car where I examined it more thoroughly the best I could. Who owned it? Where do they live? Anything with a date on it?

I decided to bring it in to the nearest cop shop and let them handle it, could be a missing person, robbery, who knows. A search on my GPS directed me to the nearest cop station where I handed over the wallet and explained the circumstances on finding it. It was in such poor shape, she put on gloves before opening it and handling the money and cards. I then slid the additional $20 across the counter telling her I found this near the wallet. She looked at it and said keep it, it's yours, for your troubles. Hey, no problem, thanks! She took my name and number and said they'd be in touch if there's a follow-up but I never did hear back.

Guess I'll never know how a wallet ended up in the middle of a forest. It's like reading a book only to find the last chapter was missing.

• Upvote 4
8 hours ago, wwjd7 said:

Followed a trail that got progressively weaker, then when it disappeared I began to walk around attempting to pick it up again. Got turned around and became "lost". Not "panicky" lost as I knew the trail was 150 metres away or so and my track log was active, let's just say "comfortably disoriented".

As I looked down at my GPS to orient myself back to the trail, something on the ground caught my eye, not natural. It was a small brown squareish object, mainly obstructed by dead pine needles. I went to pick it up and it was a wallet, full of cards, ID, insurance, and two $20 bills. I saw another $20 bill laying a metre away on the ground, it's color peeking through the pine needles. (Years of  geocaching has paid off having trained the eye to spot the slightest incongruities, lol!!) Everything was mouldy like it had been there a few years. Not wanting to carry out the smelly wallet and money in my pocket, I hand carried it all the way back to the car where I examined it more thoroughly the best I could. Who owned it? Where do they live? Anything with a date on it?

I decided to bring it in to the nearest cop shop and let them handle it, could be a missing person, robbery, who knows. A search on my GPS directed me to the nearest cop station where I handed over the wallet and explained the circumstances on finding it. It was in such poor shape, she put on gloves before opening it and handling the money and cards. I then slid the additional $20 across the counter telling her I found this near the wallet. She looked at it and said keep it, it's yours, for your troubles. Hey, no problem, thanks! She took my name and number and said they'd be in touch if there's a follow-up but I never did hear back.

Guess I'll never know how a wallet ended up in the middle of a forest. It's like reading a book only to find the last chapter was missing.

I found a wallet at the back of some shops while out on a caching trip, cycling about on my bicycle. It still had the cards, but the money was gone. I rang the police and they contacted the owner who then contacted me. Therefore I know some of the story. The owner came and picked it up. She had been out the night before at a club, but she thinks her drink was spiked. A few years ago now, so I don't remember where she woke up. But she was worried she had been raped. Not a good story. She was pleased to get the wallet back, although she had already cancelled the cards.

• Upvote 1

While visiting the Northern Territory, I found several caches at old second world war airstrips. Usually it's only a dirt track to these now, but the (usable) air strips still exist, but the buildings are now usually gone, leaving mostly only foundations and narrow dirt tracks winding through the bush, with an occasional old plane (or part of). As in this example. A cache is hidden in it. I drove down a number of these airstrips. I found this unexpected history fascinating.

Ruined airport.jpg

Car on old airstrip2.jpg

WW2 Airstrip.jpg

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

While visiting the Northern Territory, I found several caches at old second world war airstrips. Usually it's only a dirt track to these now, but the (usable) air strips still exist, but the buildings are now usually gone, leaving mostly only foundations and narrow dirt tracks winding through the bush, with an occasional old plane (or part of). As in this example. A cache is hidden in it. I drove down a number of these airstrips. I found this unexpected history fascinating.

Ruined airport.jpg

Car on old airstrip2.jpg

WW2 Airstrip.jpg

Is that old fuselage a Bird Dog? Any vets recognise it?

21 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Ruined airport.jpg

Car on old airstrip2.jpg

WW2 Airstrip.jpg

Amazing photos!

I thought of another strange thing found while caching. This was awhile ago The cache was hidden in an abandon building on a country road with just the foundation and a few walls standing. The floor was caving in (a warning in the description said beware where you walk during the winter months).  Um, thank you? When we got there, traveled for miles off the NYS thruway,  we discovered No Trespassing signs all around the property. Very weird and very dangerous. We actually let the reviewer know and it was archived. I had forgotten all about this.

Walking to check a cache of mine, I noticed this, see pic. It has a sort of lion with lamb feel to it, but isn't ....  Just odd that the large gator was quietly resting on the water's edge, with dinner ready.  It's not a great picture, but was the best I could do from as close as I was interested in getting ;-) 

75a4fade-dc0a-47d9-8ecd-9a84b2857a4c.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2020 at 8:41 PM, HunterandSamuel said:

a makeshift shelter near a river

Keep caching and this will happen from time to time.  Turns out that a quiet spot in the woods makes for both a good place to stash a piece of tupperware, and a good place to camp out without too many people noticing.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Keep caching and this will happen from time to time.  Turns out that a quiet spot in the woods makes for both a good place to stash a piece of tupperware, and a good place to camp out without too many people noticing.

I felt bad that a cache was hidden near the makeshift shelter, felt bad for who ever made it. Maybe they removed it, it has since been archived for turning up missing.  

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:41 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

When out geocaching today in a location...made me think of a strange sighting a while ago when caching...a makeshift shelter near a river. Someone said a homeless person lived there. It's sad. 

Around here a spot like that was probably a fish shack (although, some are quite fancy with stove pipes and all).

On 1/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, Isonzo Karst said:

Walking to check a cache of mine, I noticed this, see pic. It has a sort of lion with lamb feel to it, but isn't ....  Just odd that the large gator was quietly resting on the water's edge, with dinner ready.  It's not a great picture, but was the best I could do from as close as I was interested in getting ;-) 

75a4fade-dc0a-47d9-8ecd-9a84b2857a4c.jpg

Maybe he was having a friend over for dinner, and dinner was ready early. That happens.

• Funny 2

I had an odd find yesterday.  I stopped at a small cemetery to make a find, and there was an SUV already parked maybe 100 feet from the cache.  A man was standing behind it, bent over a boxy object.  It turned out to be a live trap covered with a cloth, and he was shaking out...  something.  Then a skunk popped out.

The guy calmly put the trap and cloth back in his car, got in, and drove away.  The skunk waddled down the fence line at the back of the cemetery property until it found a hole big enough to get through, and it disappeared. 

I didn't talk to the guy - he looked like he wanted to just be gone.  I assume he trapped the skunk in his back yard, and didn't want to kill it.  The land behind the cemetery is heavily wooded, and unused, so I think it's a fine place for a skunk to make a new home.  The man is a braver man than I am - I would have never put a live skunk in any vehicle I planned to drive ever again. 

• Funny 1
9 minutes ago, Ralfcoder said:

I had an odd find yesterday.  I stopped at a small cemetery to make a find, and there was an SUV already parked maybe 100 feet from the cache.  A man was standing behind it, bent over a boxy object.  It turned out to be a live trap covered with a cloth, and he was shaking out...  something.  Then a skunk popped out.

The guy calmly put the trap and cloth back in his car, got in, and drove away.  The skunk waddled down the fence line at the back of the cemetery property until it found a hole big enough to get through, and it disappeared. 

I didn't talk to the guy - he looked like he wanted to just be gone.  I assume he trapped the skunk in his back yard, and didn't want to kill it.  The land behind the cemetery is heavily wooded, and unused, so I think it's a fine place for a skunk to make a new home.  The man is a braver man than I am - I would have never put a live skunk in any vehicle I planned to drive ever again. 

I stopped nightcatching because of skunks. They just scared me too bad. ?

That's a crazy story!

Lets see over the years I have found 2 bags of drugs in/near a cache.
The second one was heroin that I had touched on the way to the airport to board a plane. I was really hoping the drug dog was not working.
I was on a walking trail with another cacher when I got to GZ to find a loaded 9 mm gun next to the cache with a school across the street. Trying to talk to the police was interesting.

The most interesting set of three caches was in Barstow doing the Planes/Trains series.
The first cache i came across had a rusty can as cover and I lifted the can and then reached to grab the pill container that was covered in camo tape when I realized that there was way more camo there than there should be. I removed the sunglasses to find a Rattle snake under the cache.
The next cache I came across had a California King snake leaving the cache.
I was on the way to the third cache and rounded the corner to find a large desert tortoise in the middle of the road. At that point I figured I was 3/3 and caching for the day was over.

The most bizarre situation was doing Route 66 and going off a side and driving down it when the navigator yelled at me and said look out there is a tarantula on the road. I said what did you say when I heard the squish. There was a question from the back seat asking what happens when you run over a spider of this size? Well a few hours later we were in a major Thunderstorm with very heavy rains flash flooding etc.
The weird part about this was after I ran over the spider and we got back on the road on Route 66 was all the tarantula walking down the white line on the right shoulder for the next 10 miles.

Yes these are a few of the weird things I have come across.

IMG_0466[1].jpg

IMG_0461[1].jpg

IMG_0458[1].jpg

Edited by PhilatSea
  • Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, brodiebunch said:

Earlier this week I found a used face mask in a geocache. 

Seems disgusting and a biohazard. 

I found one last month, in a muggle-magnet style box next to a trail in the woods.  I didn't see a log book, but with a bunch of typical trash in there and a used face mask to top it off, I just took a picture and posted it with my DNF.  Because I'm touching nothing inside that.  Sue me.  But in the muggles' defense, we've been told for the past 8  months (and NEVER before that time) that Masks Prevent Death.  So somemuggle pulled off the snot- and sweat-filled drool catcher which obviously saves just as many lives in a cache container.

Edited by kunarion
Sunlight was refracting through the swamp gas of Venus.
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, raynruth said:

Over the years in 3 separate caches I’ve found a Durex (still in packet, unopened). Each time I removed it to the bin and explained in my log.

Oh, but they are so useful (aside from the 'obvious" function) - they (unlubricated) are neat for keeping gun barrels clean & dry, make a good emergency water carrier, keeping finger bandages clean & uncontaminated, etc. - so don't throw them away, you never know when such a 'tool' might come in handy... ;)

• Upvote 2