Strangest thing found while geocaching

Mn-treker

surlybird and I found someone's drug stash near a geocache. We'd thought we'd actually found the geocache - it was three nested ziplock bags! Except it was full of dime baggies of probably crack, and a few of weed. We left them a note telling them about geocaching and suggesting they move their stash.

Maybe next time you should call the police instead.

surlybird and I found someone's drug stash near a geocache. We'd thought we'd actually found the geocache - it was three nested ziplock bags! Except it was full of dime baggies of probably crack, and a few of weed. We left them a note telling them about geocaching and suggesting they move their stash.

This was a tiny stash hidden by a very vulnerable person (whether a user or small-time dealer). Small time dealers often end up doing this type of work because of really messed up socioeconomic dynamics pushing them to the economic fringe, and users often turn to drugs for similar reasons, with a history of trauma in the mix and few resources for healing and coping. These folks don't have middle-class options, and are badly exploited by big-time dealers.

On top of that, Toronto police have a history of lethal brutality towards marginalized communities, and this stash probably belongs to a low-income substance user and/or seller who has enough problems without getting trigger-happy uniformed thugs into the mix. They aren't endangering anyone else by keeping the stash here, and I imagine they'll end up moving it after seeing the note anyway.

If you find yourself in this situation, please please don't call the cops as a knee-jerk reaction. Think of what circumstances may have led a person to stash drugs in a public spot and show some compassion. They'll seek community-based resources when they're ready to. Police involvement ruins lives.

This was a tiny stash hidden by a very vulnerable person (whether a user or small-time dealer). Small time dealers often end up doing this type of work because of really messed up socioeconomic dynamics pushing them to the economic fringe, and users often turn to drugs for similar reasons, with a history of trauma in the mix and few resources for healing and coping. These folks don't have middle-class options, and are badly exploited by big-time dealers.

On top of that, Toronto police have a history of lethal brutality towards marginalized communities, and this stash probably belongs to a low-income substance user and/or seller who has enough problems without getting trigger-happy uniformed thugs into the mix. They aren't endangering anyone else by keeping the stash here, and I imagine they'll end up moving it after seeing the note anyway.

If you find yourself in this situation, please please don't call the cops as a knee-jerk reaction. Think of what circumstances may have led a person to stash drugs in a public spot and show some compassion. They'll seek community-based resources when they're ready to. Police involvement ruins lives.

I should add: the above comment is in reference to the crack in the stash. But calling the cops over a small quantity of weed is just completely bonkers.

Off-topic, but unless you know the person who left "stuff" personally, you can't be sure what kind of interaction another may have if encountering that person(s) while caching.

Not "bonkers" at all, a call to police should be a first response, if only to protect yourself from the "owner" or a passerby.

"Officer, I saw that person over there "fiddling" with something. I think it's drugs".

"Hey you! Whatcha doing over there?"

Ahh, err...geocaching..."

"Hey Joe, look here! A drug stash! You have the right to remain silent..."

A mail to the CO, and mention to others in the found it/or didn't log could follow, to allow others the choice of whether they want to be there. :)

You got all that from a couple of bags? Are you psychic? Did you know this criminal personally? You've got to be kidding me. This isn't just rose tinted glasses, you've gone full Pollyanna on this.

I especially like how you tipped off a drug dealer that there is a convenient network of waterproof containers around town -- including one right nearby!! -- that they can use to store and/or distribute dangerous narcotics. Containers that are often accessed by children. "Look, mom, rock candy!" the toddler says, immediately before a massive overdose...

I understand where you are coming from. In situations like this, best practice is to simply move your cache away from the area so you aren't putting other geocachers at risk of a run-in or conflict. That's what you should do when it comes to drug stashes, temporary homes/shelters, and so on. Just cede the territory to the other people who are using it, and maybe let your local reviewer know about it so they can keep the area free of future geocaches as well.

Back in 2005 I was hiking to a cache and came across 1 snake eating another snake across the trail. There are a series of pictures in the log at https://www.geocachi...4f-a16a65abfba7 showing a progression of the event. I left after I took the last picture and not sure how things ended up since 1 snake had itself wrapped around a stick.

I've run into rattlesnakes and copperheads many times in NJ but this was the first time I came across something like this.

Here's the first & last pictures from the series...

102041bd-0b0b-443a-abcd-ccd668b8d031.jpg

4f1b7665-db7a-4474-9e4f-a16a65abfba7.jpg

Looks like an Eastern Kingsnake dining upon a Garter Snake. Quite a find.

I'd include a pic of a strange scene I encountered while caching, but I can't get the pic to upload. I don't see a way to load from My Pictures, although I see two different ways to load one from the internet.

You can't upload photo files to the forums. You'd have to house your photo somewhere online and then put the link to that photo into your forum post with tags.

I saw a bra hanging in a tree way out in the woods, once. It was positioned with both straps on the branch so that it hung more or less in the same orientation it would have if someone was wearing it. The owner must have had a ... um, full bust.

Then there's This One, where a bra is actually the log book.

And from the same CO, This One has a pair of underpants as the log.

I saw a bra hanging in a tree way out in the woods, once. It was positioned with both straps on the branch so that it hung more or less in the same orientation it would have if someone was wearing it. The owner must have had a ... um, full bust.

And from the same CO, This One has a pair of underpants as the log.

One of the more recently logs...

"Grabbed this cache while out running some errands. Cache contents are wet, but we managed to leave our signature."

Ya know how some will suggest signing the log with a stick and some mud if you've forgotten your pen? ....

A few days ago I encountered some hunters in Blaine, MN. Now you might think that is not unusual.

But Hunting is not allowed there, except deer by archery and turkey. Both by special permit only.

Both seasons are closed. These hunters were using high powered air rifles with scopes on top.

By high power I mean they were as powerful as a .22 cal. long rifle bullet. 1200 fps at the muzzle.

Kill a human at 50 yards, seriously harm a human at 100 yards. They were using these hoping not to get caught, very quiet.

But they were caught by me, I called the cops with GPS coords and they met me to get more info. I told the cop where

the home was that the hunters came from. I saw the cop go to that place.My guess is that the cops went to put one heck of a scare in them since

not enough info to arrest them. Case in point don't be afraid to call the cops when needed. Now that home is marked.

I have a nice one to add to this thread though this was found when looking for a spot to hide rather than finding a cache.

You will be thankful I have no photo.

Nice, secluded spot near the river off the bike path, a place that doesn't get a lot of foot traffic.

Get back in there, and I see someone has been hanging out, darn it, there goes this spot. I know this because sticking out of the ground, attached to a threaded rode, is a large rubber phallic instrument. Lifelike.

A freshly ripped goat leg in the forest. That was ... weird and challenging to explain to my 4 year old.

Also - this...

and this

Now that is strange, a bottle of beetles. Do we have a winner here?

A Travelling Bug hotel perhaps?

Wahaha, a travel bug hotel indeed ;)

I guess a bottle is a perfect incubator - it's warm(er) inside than outside, there is some water condensing and the protection from mostly anything.

"Homemade rail bus" - The Red Goose, up near Mt. Shasta. Left in the woods on a short bit of track. Tributes abound in graffiti. And of course there's a geocache.

Darn, we camped across the highway from that during last year's roadtrip. I didn't know it was there. I do want to go back again, although probably won't make it back for a while, and will have to put this on my to-do list. Putting it on my 'wish list' now!

Whilst caching on Dartmoor we found a e-trex gps with flat batteries next to a cache. Once new batteries were in it there were geocaches on it but no other useful info.

Boxing Day we found a wetsuit next to a cache with two containers, apparently one had been missing for a year. Also on the moors with no bodies of water near by.

Just this past weekend my family and I stopped at a rest area to locate a cache. When we got to ground zero we found what appears to be a roadkill dumping area. There were multiple deer carcasses in varying stages of decay and piles of bones. Saddest one was a dog that may have only been there a week or two with rope tied around its back legs. I'm assuming the rope was used to drag the poor pooch out there, and hoping that it wasn't a restraint or trap used to kill it.

Whilst caching on Dartmoor we found a e-trex gps with flat batteries next to a cache. Once new batteries were in it there were geocaches on it but no other useful info.

Did you ever find its owner?

Boxing Day we found a wetsuit next to a cache with two containers, apparently one had been missing for a year. Also on the moors with no bodies of water near by.

Reminds me of the urban legend (and CSI episode) about a scuba diver found in a tree. Thankfully yours was sans corpse!

Edited by hzoi

hzoi it was the old yellow e-Trex 10. No info on it just the days caches I guess they were going to do and a track to a car park on the moors.

We looked at the posts for the caches on it for a couple of weeks but no mention of someone loosing it so it's in our odds and bobs drawer.

Never used it.

One time I found a plastic grocery bag containing a pair of dirty gym socks and a handful of 9mm bullets. I tried coming up with some scenario that allowed that combination to make sense...but was unsuccessful.

Socks used as an ersatz silencer, maybe? Kinda like people do with a pillow or potato?

(Yes, I read too many detective novels. :P )

I haven't found anything strange in my caching yet. Just the usual rubbish, mud, slime and spiders. I'll keep you all posted though!

This would qualify as gross....the cache name was Portland poo. Made out of Portland cement...but I did not realize that fast enough, as someone had tossed a used colostomy bag right next to the cache. Then another one,I was caching out of state, in a big hunting area, and I pulled over in a large spot to park off the road, I thought maybe to place a cache, but then I noticed piles of deer and Elk legs....literally..JUST the legs.....I still have not figured that out.

I was recently hiking in some high terrain area in the middle of no where and suddenly this very attractive guy comes down that looks like Thor and is wearing a kilt (upstate New York). I was huffing and puffing like crazy trying to hike up and he was completely unaffected as he cantered down the mountain side.

I was recently hiking in some high terrain area in the middle of no where and suddenly this very attractive guy comes down that looks like Thor and is wearing a kilt (upstate New York). I was huffing and puffing like crazy trying to hike up and he was completely unaffected as he cantered down the mountain side.

That sounds like a hallucination ;)

I once found a stash of little packets of heroin, all packaged up inside a small jar that looked exactly the same as a container used for a cache I had found earlier that day. There were some shady characters driving around GZ as well, I think waiting for us to leave - think geocachers turning up in the middle of drug deal. They would have got a nasty surprise when they went to retrieve their stash and found the contents poured out and stomped into the mud. Ooops.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I found a stolen cash drawer from a cash register one morning when out caching in Southern California. I ended up calling the police. I gave them the coordinates, but they couldn't find it so they came to my hotel and I took them to the "Cash". Someone had broken into a restaurant near my hotel a couple of nights before and took the drawer out of the cash register. Fortunately the owner had emptied all the money so the "Casher" didn't get any Cash. I did meet 2 very nice police officers. It was my last day in So. Calif and was an interesting end to my trip.

93592ea0-ef83-45ce-b2a8-209713459c24.jpg

6c380bb7-8868-4c33-9bd5-e6cb23c68e6d.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 1:30 AM, noncentric said:
On 3/15/2017 at 8:52 PM, DragonsWest said:

"Homemade rail bus" - The Red Goose, up near Mt. Shasta. Left in the woods on a short bit of track. Tributes abound in graffiti. And of course there's a geocache.

Darn, we camped across the highway from that during last year's roadtrip. I didn't know it was there. I do want to go back again, although probably won't make it back for a while, and will have to put this on my to-do list. Putting it on my 'wish list' now!

Got it!

Was back in the area last month and made sure to find this one. Awesome spot!