Loading Pocket Queries onto a GPS through an IPad

Mariner1974

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting rid of my chromebook & buying an IPad. Does anyone know if i can download Pocket Queries onto my Garmin GPS unit from an IPad?

Any help is greatly received. I should mention that i'm not very good with computers or understand computer speak.

Thanks in advance

I assume you are using a garmin that supports gpx files, rather than its own proprietary format.

Based on that, I do it all the time - I cannot remember the last time I used a computer to load pocket queries or search results to my Oregon 600. It is not difficult, but requires an additional device to link the gpsr and the ipad. There are a number of small wifi routers that will do this. I use the Kingston MobileLite, which is about the size of my iphone, but they all work in a similar fashion. The router sets up a small wifi connection. When the ipad or iphone is connected to the router, it can recognize devices that are plugged into the router (or sd cards inserted into it).

There are some tricks to it. In particular, when the gpsr is plugged into the router, the i-device will only recognize the gpsr as a single drive. In other words, the iphone or ipad can load gpx files into either the internal memory of a garmin or an sd card that remains inserted into the gpsr. It will not recognize both as separate drives. With the Mobilite, I have been able to cycle into one or the other by unplugging the gpsr and plugging it in again.

The devices come with a file manager app that can be used to transfer files from the ipad/iphone to the gpsr. I prefer to use a separate app (FileExplorer). In any event, using the i-device "open" function from Safari, select the file manager you are using and simply copy the gpx file to the appropriate garmin/gpx folder. The advantage of FileExplorer or similar apps is that the .zip file can be unzipped within the app - I do not think the mobilelite app does this.

If you prefer an alternative browser, other browsers support this to varying degrees. Chrome requires a couple of additional steps; Icab Mobile has some very good file manager functions built into the app but requires more of a learning curve.

There are also several caching apps that support gpx export so that you can import a pocket query or use the Groundspeak "live" search functions and then transfer the results to the gpsr. I have been using Geosphere as a mini-GSAK to manage caches and export them to my Oregon as need be. It has a very good internal file manager and supports a number of options to filter and merge databases. Unfortunately, at the moment, it has a few oddities with current ios versions and the ipad. The developer is overdue with an update. To me, Geosphere remains an essential part of caching, so I use a minor work-around with the ipad.

The entire process takes only a matter of minutes, if that. There are also ways to use an ipad to upload field notes from your garmin to the Groundspeak site, but that is a separate process so I do not want to go into it here. If you decide to use an ipad and want more detailed advice about any of the above, please feel free to email me through my profile.

Edited by geodarts
22 hours ago, smy said:

Hello Geodarts

I'm interested in your solution with the Mobilite ! Are you still using it, or have you found a new way to transfer files between an Oregon and an iPad/iPhone ?

I replaced the MobileLite with a Rav Power File Hub, but it's the same principle.   The HooToo wireless travel router would be a similar product. 

I still use Geosphere to plan out trips, import queries, and export gpx files although it is not supported under iOS 11 - other apps can do this or you can simply upload a pocket query if that works for you.   

The Oregon plugs into the router and is connected as a NAS device.   FileExplorer works for me to transfer gpx files or maps from the iPad/iPhone to the GPSr, but there are other apps out there as well, including the FileHub plus app if you end up with that model.  

28 minutes ago, geodarts said:

I replaced the MobileLite with a Rav Power File Hub, but it's the same principle.   The HooToo wireless travel router would be a similar product. 

I still use Geosphere to plan out trips, import queries, and export gpx files although it is not supported under iOS 11 - other apps can do this or you can simply upload a pocket query if that works for you.   

The Oregon plugs into the router and is connected as a NAS device.   FileExplorer works for me to transfer gpx files or maps from the iPad/iPhone to the GPSr, but there are other apps out there as well, including the FileHub plus app if you end up with that model.  

Thank you for your quick reply !

The Rav Power File Hub is even cheaper than the Mobilite, I'll try it.

Do you know if I can easily switch between the internal memory and sd card on the Rav when the Oregon is plugged to it ?

My main use will not be to transfer GPX files, but to import the geocache_visits.txt file to drafts :)

With the Mobilite, I was able to cycle through internal or sd card by unplugging and plugging in the gpsr.   I have only used the Rav File Hub once, but will test it after work.  

Uploading field notes involves a slightly different procedure.   I'll email you separately (after work, either today or tomorrow).

Hello.

Thank your for all your replies and emails geodarts.

I tried a travel WiFi router (TP Link TL-WR902AC) and it works fine. I could access the internal memory of the Oregon and download the geocache_visits.txt file to my iPhone.

29472101_10212774827020305_2036614216919547904_o.jpg