Limit emails from a trackable

gasbottle

I have a travel bug or in the wild. It seems to have landed in the hands of someone who likes taking it to events where it is then discovered by anything up to twenty people. That's fine, and I'm quite happy about it except that on each occasion I get fifteen or twenty emails over a couple of hours saying 'so-and-so discovered...'.

I'd like to continue getting emails when my TB is placed in a cache or picked up from one, but the rest i can live without. Is there any way to configure my setting to achieve this, without affecting emails relating to caches I own, notifications, etc?

I'd like to continue getting emails when my TB is placed in a cache or picked up from one, but the rest i can live without. Is there any way to configure my setting to achieve this, without affecting emails relating to caches I own, notifications, etc?

Nope.

ChileHead had a good option.

Without pics, many who get this log type (for months on end) don't really know if the kidnapper even has it.

Maybe others "discovering" it show it's at least still in play (or the code's simply on a piece of paper).

I have a travel bug or in the wild. It seems to have landed in the hands of someone who likes taking it to events where it is then discovered by anything up to twenty people. That's fine, and I'm quite happy about it except that on each occasion I get fifteen or twenty emails over a couple of hours saying 'so-and-so discovered...'.

I'm with you. One of my travel bugs has apparently been taken to a Mega Event in Sweden and since 3:25 AM this morning, I have received over 70 emails SO FAR and they are still coming. Being a Mega Event, I expect a few hundred more.

Although I am not against people "discovering" travel bugs so I can see that it is still in circulation, I don't need to be told hundreds of time about the same event. And the other thing that really bugs my butt, I think "discovering" travel bugs statistics should be separate from the stats recorded when you actually have the bug in your hands and help move them along. I have been to events where cachers actually copy out lists of the travel bugs they bring just so other cachers can "discover" them without having to actually see them or write down their numbers themselves. I ask you - what is the point in all that? If one is only into it for the numbers, they are probably already logging "finds" without actually going there and just hoping the owner doesn't check the logbook - hardly the spirit of geocaching.

I'm with you. One of my travel bugs has apparently been taken to a Mega Event in Sweden and since 3:25 AM this morning, I have received over 70 emails SO FAR and they are still coming. Being a Mega Event, I expect a few hundred more.

Although I am not against people "discovering" travel bugs so I can see that it is still in circulation, I don't need to be told hundreds of time about the same event. And the other thing that really bugs my butt, I think "discovering" travel bugs statistics should be separate from the stats recorded when you actually have the bug in your hands and help move them along. I have been to events where cachers actually copy out lists of the travel bugs they bring just so other cachers can "discover" them without having to actually see them or write down their numbers themselves. I ask you - what is the point in all that? If one is only into it for the numbers, they are probably already logging "finds" without actually going there and just hoping the owner doesn't check the logbook - hardly the spirit of geocaching.

The other 2/3rds, having almost 300 coins, thought she'd "be nice" to "friends" by typing each code on a sheet to pass out.

Knew they'd discover 'em all anyway, so save them some time, wear n tear, and eye-strain.

I know that'd give me finger cramps . :)

Well, it turned out a couple of her "friends" let others copy some, or handed the sheets to others.

- That was over six years ago, and she still gets "discover" on them today...

The other 2/3rds, having almost 300 coins, thought she'd "be nice" to "friends" by typing each code on a sheet to pass out.

Knew they'd discover 'em all anyway, so save them some time, wear n tear, and eye-strain.

Well, it turned out a couple of her "friends" let others copy some, or handed the sheets to others.

There may be a slight downside to these "filters" that it seems (by threads) a few want.

As weather (and my knee) permit, slowly hitting a 15-stage 4.5/4.5 multi.

Taking a while, since it's a lengthy hike just to start where I ended up last.

Some odd reason, the CO put seven trackables (hoard n dump) in this cache that's only been found once since July (with hunting seasons now, and Winter coming on).

As I don't cache every day, and the caches here seem to be mostly micros (since when is a hide-a-key a small?), I'm just gonna discover 'em (maybe with a pic).

Figured at least the TO will know they're safely in place (at that time).

Filter out discover, you're left wondering what happened to it, and have to hit the trackable and/or cache page looking anyway.

Knowing that everybody here doesn't play that side-game (the only person to find it didn't even discover any), movement may not happen for some time - probably in the Spring...

I know I can filter emails at my end if I'm clever with the filtering systems, but why? We have a situation where some computer somewhere is generating emails that few want, and computer systems around the world are deleting them, all with no human intervention. There is a word for this - spam.

I opened a thread in the Website forum asking for some controls on which emails are sent. Perhaps if we can get some support Groundspeak will look at implementing it.