Absurd ?

Alfouine

Hello,

I published a nice waymark in "Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes" and :

Your waymark, Sport d'hiver - Font-Romeu - France, has been denied for the following reason:

This doesn't look like a utility box to me, but rather a utility building with a door that people can enter. Such buildings are not the focus of this category. Sorry!

As i am persistent i submitted again and gave arguments :

Hello,

In France we have utility box in concrete, here there is link if you want to buy one : http://www.zoneindustrie.com/Produit/Poste-de-transformation-prefabrique-beton-HT-BT-15465.html

You can translate with Google.

I took a picture with Google street view before the painting : http://www.ged-info.net/box-font-romeu.png

Same characteristics, concrete, aeration, metallic door with blue sing on it for EDF (Electricité de France).

Alfouine

So they decide to vote and here is the result :

Your waymark, Sport d'hiver - Font Romeu - France, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:Putting this to a vote. I originally denied this one because it looks like a utility building, not a utility box. However, it was resubmitted with the following explanation: "In France we have utility box in concrete, here there is link if you want to buy one : (http://www.zoneindustrie.com/Produit/Poste-de-transformation-prefabrique-beton-HT-BT-15465.html) You can translate with Google. I took a picture with Google street view before the painting : (http://www.ged-info.net/box-font-romeu.png) Same characteristics, concrete, aeration, metallic door with blue sing on it for EDF (Electricité de France)." I'm still inclined to deny it because it's still a building or transformer station that a person can open up and walk into, which was never the intent of this category. Vote comments: [nay] It's a building, not a box. Sorry, but this type of building was never the intent of this category. [nay] Utility Boxes, by convention, in this category contain just electronics, not big enough for people. Suggest sending to Murals. - DK [yea] I think the intent of the category and the game is to capture something interesting...and this is sufficient I think to meet the criteria of the category.

I sent an email to the leader because i do not understant and he wrote Murals is the best category for this kind of waymark, so i submitted my waymark in "Murals" category and here is the result :

Your waymark, Sport d'hiver - Font Romeu - France, has been denied for the following reason:

There is a category for painted utility boxes at http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=385e2792-795a-4abf-a57d-1495777d2b9c . Please submit there. Thanks, Outspoken1

Funny isn't it or absurd ???

Here is the link of the waymark : Sport d hiver

Do you think i should create a new category ?

Wasting my time like this it's not what i prefer in Waymarking :tired:

What can i do ?

I had submitted a waymark for an abandoned mid-1800s cemetary in the woods.

I had mentioned that there was an effort to clear some of the fallen tree debris from around the cairns.

The result? Denied because they no longer consider the cemetary to be abandoned.

Not worth the hassle; I archived the Waymark and won't bother with it again.

I suggest reapplying to the murals category with the utility box denial included.

Yes but for me it's really a utility box and we have a lot like this in France, but too big for the first one and to small for the second one

You can continue to fight for your definition of a utility box; but a mural is still a mural regardless of what it's painted on...

I suggest reapplying to the murals category with the utility box denial included.

Yes but for me it's really a utility box and we have a lot like this in France, but too big for the first one and to small for the second one

I have a few things to say about this:

• Personally, I agree with the officers that this is a building, not a box. If it was a box, you wouldn't be able to walk inside.
  • The Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes description clearly states:
    We are only looking for UTILITY BOXES, not UTILITY BUILDINGS. If a structure has a human-size door intended for human entry into the structure, then it cannot be waymarked here.
    Was this added after your submission was denied, or was it there previously?
  • Outspoken1's reason for denying it in the Murals category fails to explain why it was actually denied in the Murals category. If the only reason for denying it is because there's another category they think it can be Waymarked in, then why can't it also be Waymarked in Murals? There's nothing wrong with an object being cross-posted into multiple categories. Scanning through the Murals description, I can't see anything there that would justify denying your Waymark. For that matter, I can't see anything that would prevent any Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes from also being cross-posted in Murals.

Edit: After looking at your Waymark again, it does fail to meet the Murals requirement of having at least two (preferably more) photos. There's also very little in the description. However, if these were the reasons for denying it, then I would expect that to be stated.

Edited by The A-Team

[*]The Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes description clearly states:

We are only looking for UTILITY BOXES, not UTILITY BUILDINGS. If a structure has a human-size door intended for human entry into the structure, then it cannot be waymarked here.
Was this added after your submission was denied, or was it there previously?

As i wrote "nowhere in the description there is a requirement about the size of the box" they reply with " We will revise the description to make that clearer", so it was added after my submission

Edit: After looking at your Waymark again, it does fail to meet the Murals requirement of having at least two (preferably more) photos. There's also very little in the description. However, if these were the reasons for denying it, then I would expect that to be stated.

I also submitted in murals Bord de cher and they denied it for the same reason. And there is too photos

Alfouine -- I feel your pain, if you are looking for the icon. However, unfortunately, what you submitted is NOT a utility box, but a building. :(

I wonder if there is a translation issue here? In the US, a utility box is small and made of metal. They are maybe 2m tall and 1m wide. These utility boxes hold traffic signal or streetlight electronic equipment mostly. Small amounts of infrastructure only - a few light signals, a few electric meters. They are usually on a concrete pedestal. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. They are also not painted very often, so when we have seen one, we have tried to waymark it so that others can have a fair shot at the icon.

I saw a painted one recently on a trip to Austin. Let me download those photos and see of I can dig it out and drop it into Uncat for you.

Here are the boxes I have waymarked in this category:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMNCAC_Cypress_Grove_Utility_Box_New_Orleans_LA (the standard utility box in the US)

and

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGMTN_Electric_Meters_in_a_Mural_Cleburne_TX (for a much smaller utility box)

This is one of those categories where, if your city has a program to paint them you are in luck. If not, then its one of those things you will see out of the corner of your eye one day when you least expect it.

if you are looking for the icon.

:tired:

I understand that this kind of utility box is far from US Standards. But as "murals" category officer considered these buildings as boxes it would have been nice to approve them.

I will submit them again in Murals category and hope for a positive officers vote.

I do not want to lose my work.

if you are looking for the icon.

:tired:

I understand that this kind of utility box is far from US Standards. But as "murals" category officer considered these buildings as boxes it would have been nice to approve them.

I will submit them again in Murals category and hope for a positive officers vote.

I do not want to lose my work.

Of course, this is a nice find and it deserves to become a nice waymark.

But "this kind of utility box" is not a utility box at all in my opinion. This has nothing to do with US standards. The utility boxes I have seen in France are usually even smaller than than most of the American ones published in this category.

In my opinion, again, and I am not an officer in either category, your find belongs to Murals. It has the required size and the denial you received does not make any sense to me.

I had submitted a waymark for an abandoned mid-1800s cemetary in the woods.

I had mentioned that there was an effort to clear some of the fallen tree debris from around the cairns.

The result? Denied because they no longer consider the cemetary to be abandoned.

Not worth the hassle; I archived the Waymark and won't bother with it again.

Abandoned Cemeteries are very hard to find. Many of the waymarks submitted to that category are declined, with the main reason being that the poster misunderstood the difference between abandoned (NOT maintained) and inactive (no longer open for burials). It matters not if the last grave was from 300 or 500 years ago, if the cemetery is still mowed and cared for. The cemetery must actually be non-maintained, abandoned, almost (or completely) forgotten to qualify. If the cemetery is being mowed and maintained, it is not abandoned, but simply inactive (for more burials).

There was discussion among group officers to modifying the category description to try to make the distinction clearer, but when we looked at it, it already says that the cemetery cannot be being maintained, so the distinction is already in the description.

Abandoned cemeteries may still have a nice sign (though usually fading from the sun) and may be on the topographic maps. But otherwise, many or most of the local folks might not even know they are there, unless one stumbles upon one.

Edited by MountainWoods

I think they were thinking about boxes like this one in France:

http://www.Waymarkin...ngouleme_France

881e852b-ba15-4d4c-ba22-0e22c47c4465_d.jpg

1ff61fec-82ff-425e-a763-05c37e81ee76_d.jpg

Or this one in Paris, France, "a telecom utility box in Paris alongside Boulevard de Sébastopol".

(not painted):

IMG_3686.JPG

Edited by L0ne.R

Or this one in Paris, France, "a telecom utility box in Paris alongside Boulevard de Sébastopol".

(not painted):

IMG_3686.JPG

Yes - this are the kinds of utility boxes the category owners are looking for

Thank you very much for your help but i know exactly what is an utility box and i have few of them painted to publish.

I thought it was a good idea to include this type of box (built in concrete) to the category but as i conviced nobody i have tried again in Murals

I am sure that can be a waymark, no doubt about this....

(not painted):

IMG_3686.JPG

Yes - this are the kinds of utility boxes the category owners are looking for

Oh my! People Waymark those things? :blink:

Thank you very much for your help but i know exactly what is an utility box and i have few of them painted to publish.

I thought it was a good idea to include this type of box (built in concrete) to the category but as i conviced nobody i have tried again in Murals

I am sure that can be a waymark, no doubt about this....

Now I am wanting to see this concrete utility box of yours with the mural on it :) Good luck