3 Million

J S-B

I wonder how many people will have caches hidden and written up, just ready to hit submit as the numbers tick upwards.....?

There were vicious rumors that #2,000,000 was not randomly chosen, but was actually cherry-picked from submissions that day in order to have a model cache take the honors. (I would never believe such tales of chicanery, of course!)

Do you think number 3 million will be a so-called "winter friendly" cache?? (See relevant thread for acronym information.)

how mamy are maintained ?

I can vouch for my 30. No promises on the remainder.

Just a guess, but I think about 95% of the caches listed here are maintained by the CO and another 3% are community maintained.

Groundspeak has a working system with volunteer reviewers and a very active community of geocachers that flag caches with issues.

Jan 11th 2017.

I heard January 10. Am I wrong?

I suppose we'll find out on Jan 10th ;)

I calculated January 10th at 2358 hours cst. I could be off by a few minutes so there's a possibility of it happening on the 11th local time. :P

I figured that someone did an extrapolation calculation (which I assume lead to January 11). *However,* did they take into account that in the final week there will be an above-average number of submissions??

I went a day earlier for that reason, but that may not be nearly enough of an adjustment.

how mamy are maintained ?

I can vouch for my 30. No promises on the remainder.

Just a guess, but I think about 95% of the caches listed here are maintained by the CO and another 3% are community maintained.

Groundspeak has a working system with volunteer reviewers and a very active community of geocachers that flag caches with issues.

well it sounds nice anyway. like a press release.

Is the 3 millionth active cache or the 3 millionth GC number, according to the numbering system? I hope it's the first and not the latter.

Yes, it will be the 3 millionth active cache. We passed the 3 millionth GC code long ago (roughly June 2012), and are now approaching 6 million (one created and published today was number 5908344).

Once this one is over, how about guessing when we run out of 7-character GC codes? :laughing: GCZZZZZ would be the 28,218,030th code, so it'll still be a while yet.

Once this one is over, how about guessing when we run out of 7-character GC codes? :laughing: GCZZZZZ would be the 28,218,030th code, so it'll still be a while yet.

We'd need to know what's on the "naughty words" list, as there are certain letter/number combinations that they won't use, so there aren't quite that many codes available.

We'd need to know what's on the "naughty words" list, as there are certain letter/number combinations that they won't use, so there aren't quite that many codes available.

The letters I, L, O, S, and U aren't used in GC codes because they can be confused with other characters. Otherwise, all other letters of the Latin alphabet and the numerals 0-9 are used, for a total of 31 possible characters (or "base-31"). Also, the codes before and including GCFFFF only used the letters A-F and the 10 numerals ("base-16" or "hexadecimal"). I was using this tool which takes all of this into account, so the numbers I quoted are accurate assuming that converter doesn't have any bugs.

The letters I, L, O, S, and U aren't used in GC codes because they can be confused with other characters. Otherwise, all other letters of the Latin alphabet and the numerals 0-9 are used, for a total of 31 possible characters (or "base-31"). Also, the codes before and including GCFFFF only used the letters A-F and the 10 numerals ("base-16" or "hexadecimal"). I was using this tool which takes all of this into account, so the numbers I quoted are accurate assuming that converter doesn't have any bugs.

I thought there were some letter/number combinations,which could be construed as offensive, excluded too, e.g. there will never be a code GC1F*CK ....

[...]

I thought there were some letter/number combinations,which could be construed as offensive, excluded too, e.g. there will never be a code GC1F*CK ....

Yes, that's been avoided by not giving the U (as The A-Team just wrote before your post rolleyes.gif)

Mark: iSOUL is been letting out from Groundspeak.

Hans

Edited by HHL

[...]

Yes, that's been avoided by not giving the U (as The A-Team just wrote before your post rolleyes.gif)

Mark: iSOUL is been letting out from Groundspeak.

Hans

Ah yes, didn't spot that, what about GC1C*CK

given that all the numbers (including 0) are allowed

Going to have to run a search for GCWTF...

cedcc5e5f9f9b585281c5fd26296a820.png

Interesting.

The geocaching.com search page says there are 2,956,592 caches (2,899,639 if disabled caches are excluded) as of 18:03 in HQ's timezone.

It would be interesting to see how the daily growth rate varies over the course of the year. I don't use GSAK, so not sure I can figure it out. I'm pretty sure that the majority of caches are in the northern hemisphere, so the winter weather might mean a slower rate of cache publications? Or maybe the holidays create an uptick in Event caches to counter any declines in physical cache placements? Or maybe there are more disables/archivals during certain parts of the year? Or maybe...??? :blink:

[...] It would be interesting to see how the daily growth rate varies over the course of the year. [...]

It's decreasing at the very moment. The 3-3-3 trick is doable. cool.gif

There are 2964308 Groundspeak caches listed today.

Cache listing # 3000000 will probably be published in 75 days on or around 14.02.2017.

Current net growth rate: 478 caches/day | 14483 caches/month.

Hans

Edited by HHL