Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
brodybo

new to gps need help on deciding between garmins

I am new to the gps world altogether. I am looking at the garmin oregon 700 or 650t. mainly to stay at or below the $400 range.

Ive always relied on my gut and a good old compass but now that my family is getting into more extreme hiking and hunting in new units I am wanting more security on getting home safe.

any help would be great.

I prefer buttons, never having much luck in snow/sleet/rain and touchscreens.

If my long-discontinued 60cxs ever died, I'd first attempt to swipe the other 2/3rd's 60cxs, and get her a 64s.

If I get a "no way!", I'd pick up a 64s for myself. :)

- On sale, around half your budget.

So as a backpacker, how do you get around the short battery life of these units? We often backpack for 3-6 days. The batteries usually last between 12-16 hours...

Do you carry a solar charger? Extra battery? Turn it off most of the time (that seems counterproductive)?

So as a backpacker, how do you get around the short battery life of these units? We often backpack for 3-6 days. The batteries usually last between 12-16 hours...

Do you carry a solar charger? Extra battery? Turn it off most of the time (that seems counterproductive)?

I'll carry a waterproof charging battery about $19 skipped from Amazon (with flashlight) that can charge my 1800mah phone battery about five times.

it I'll carry extra batteries, they're small/light and powerful.

I get about 2 days of hiking out of the batteries on my Garmin 64ST ad 62S. When I'm backpacking I always have plenty of extra AAs and AAAs for my headlamp, flashlight, GPS and lantern. They don't weigh much or take up much space. If you use use lithium batteries they weigh much less than alkalines or NiMH and last longer. For a 6 day backpack you probably only need a fresh pair of lithiums in your unit to start and another pair or two for backup. Jusr don't forget to shut off the unit at the end of your hike.

There are solar chargers but a charger weighs about as much as the extra batteries and isn't worth the bother unless you are out for extended trips running into weeks.

Edited by briansnat

I have 3 chargers for my AA and AAA rechargable batteries. I lean towards the eneloops but have a smattering of other brands before I learned what worked best for me. I have an impressive amount of rechargeable batteries now. 

My GPSr, headlamps, and any other devices use these. I easily carry many sets of spares.

Non-rechargable batteries are very prone to leaking in my experience. I occasionally use them as spares though.