New TB "Discovered" etiquette?

Soaring Eagle 7

I just activated my first new TB and have received numerous "Discovered" log notices.

Question, Is it approipriate to respond to these log entries?

Thanks for any advice on this?

SE7

You've Discovered the phenomenon of virtual logs. When you posted your TB with its secret Tracking Number on display, it became available to cachers who love to collect the "numbers". I'm not suggesting it's right or wrong. I'm just saying that people who have the compulsion to log a TB as "Discovered" when they only saw a number, are bat-nuts insane. That's all.

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe: Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

Edited by kunarion

I just activated my first new TB and have received numerous "Discovered" log notices.

SE7

You've Discovered the phenomenon of virtual logs. When you posted your TB with its secret Tracking Number on display, it became available to cachers who love to collect the "numbers". I'm not suggesting it's right or wrong. I'm just saying that people who have the compulsion to log a TB as "Discovered" when they only saw a number, are bat-nuts insane. That's all.

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe: Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

So should I have done something different?

Thanks.

SE7

SE7

Thanks.

SE7

Post no image that shows the Tracking Number. Post one without that if you like.

Edited by kunarion

SE7

Thanks.

SE7

Remove the image that shows the Tracking Number. Post one without that if you like.

Got it! Thanks for your input. Funny, I geocache because it takes me to places that I would not otherwise find/get to see. Evidently some people take this WAY more serious than I do. I thought the TB thing might be fun as I always enjoyed finding them and moving them along.

Anyway, I will remove the number form my TB page.

Thanks again.

SE7

Got it! Thanks for your input. Funny, I geocache because it takes me to places that I would not otherwise find/get to see. Evidently some people take this WAY more serious than I do. I thought the TB thing might be fun as I always enjoyed finding them and moving them along.

Anyway, I will remove the number form my TB page.

Thanks again.

SE7

I'm astonished all the time by some new unbelievable mishandling of other people's property in the name of "Geocaching", all psychological cries for help. People need to go get their medication dose properly adjusted by professionals.

If you don't want those "discovered" logs to stay on your TB page, you may delete them.

Good idea.

Thanks.

SE7

Just curious - if someone actually did discover it, can they request Groundspeak to restore the "discovered" log? (I know cachers can petition for restoring a "found" log and Groundspeak will restore it (if justified) even if the cache owner disagrees.)

Trackables "discovered" without the logger physically interacting with them is discouraged by Geocaching.com.

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=708

Thanks for the link and advice to delete the posts.

Hopefully you or someone can help me out. So, I posted my first TB and I assume I made a mistake by allowing the tracking number on the tag to be visible. Now I am getting numerous logs of "Discovered" the TB, mostly from Germany and the far east, I think. So, I deleted the logs as was suggested here and on GP. Now I am getting new posts and re posts with complaints that I deleted the logs, one going so far to say basically "You posted the tracking number so why did you delete my log". Isn't that like a burglar shaming a homeowner who failed to lock his doors? So, I have locked the TB page for now.

What can I do now? Why is the tracking number listed under the Trackable Options on my TB page? Is that a result of something I did wrong when I activated it? Or could it be because it is still "In the hands of the owner"? The other TB pages I look at do not show the tracking number.

Frankly, I am about to give up on the whole idea of TBs. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all who have responded above.

SE7

Hopefully you or someone can help me out. So, I posted my first TB and I assume I made a mistake by allowing the tracking number on the tag to be visible. Now I am getting numerous logs of "Discovered" the TB, mostly from Germany and the far east, I think. So, I deleted the logs as was suggested here and on GP. Now I am getting new posts and re posts with complaints that I deleted the logs, one going so far to say basically "You posted the tracking number so why did you delete my log". Isn't that like a burglar shaming a homeowner who failed to lock his doors? So, I have locked the TB page for now.

What can I do now? Why is the tracking number listed under the Trackable Options on my TB page? Is that a result of something I did wrong when I activated it? Or could it be because it is still "In the hands of the owner"? The other TB pages I look at do not show the tracking number.

Frankly, I am about to give up on the whole idea of TBs. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks to all who have responded above.

SE7

The Tracking Number is shown on the TB Owner's page for the Owner's convenience. Other cachers see what is called the “Reference Number” which is not trackable, and only "Note" logs can be made using the Reference Number.

You can't control what other people do with your TB, nor the logs they make, and the "other people" make a point to do it as infuriatingly as they can to the Owners, because they can. Groundspeak has a policy that is far too lenient about theft and lies. It's one thing to be “only a listing service” and claim no responsibility. It's quite another to also be the company that sells the things. I think TPTB have ruined Trackables forever with wrong-headed policies. We'll see.

That said, contact Groundspeak, and ask if they will block individual fake logs for you. While you're at it, tell them how you feel about this situation. I'm lonely being the only one.

Or allow the logs, and enjoy the ride. Also the text “No 'Discover' logs allowed unless you physically held the TB, no virtual logs” might be in order. Worth a shot. The etiquette requests on my TBs is two paragraphs long now. Ask me if it makes any difference.

Edited by kunarion

SE7

The Tracking Number is shown on the TB Owner's page for the Owner's convenience. Other cachers see what is called the “Reference Number” which is not trackable, and only "Note" logs can be made using the Reference Number.

You can't control what other people do with your TB, nor the logs they make, and the "other people" make a point to do it as infuriatingly as they can to the Owners, because they can. Groundspeak has a policy that is far too lenient about theft and lies. It's one thing to be “only a listing service” and claim no responsibility. It's quite another to also be the company that sells the things. I think TPTB have ruined Trackables forever with wrong-headed policies. We'll see.

That said, contact Groundspeak, and ask if they will block individual fake logs for you. While you're at it, tell them how you feel about this situation. I'm lonely being the only one.

Or allow the logs, and enjoy the ride. Also the text “No 'Discover' logs allowed unless you physically held the TB, no virtual logs” might be in order. Worth a shot. The etiquette requests on my TBs is two paragraphs long now. Ask me if it makes any difference.

kunarion

If you are still monitoring, or anyone else who would like to jump in. Is there a way to delete a trackable? You know, make it like the activation never happened? Or, make the trackable page invisible to all but the owner? I have decided the time and bother of being a trackable owner is way too high for me and I would like to do away with this TB page/entry. Any way to do that?

Thanks for all your help!!

SE7

Edited by Soaring Eagle 7

kunarion

If you are still monitoring, or anyone else who would like to jump in. Is there a way to delete a trackable? You know, make it like the activation never happened? Or, make the trackable page invisible to all but the owner? I have decided the time and bother of being a trackable owner is way too high for me and I would like to do away with this TB page/entry. Any way to do that?

SE7

Groundspeak can remove a listing. Maybe they'd have some ideas.

You could design the TB's page as you like, and leave it locked. People who find the tracking number can find the page, but can't post a log. That could be a handy place to store clues to a Mystery Cache. It would especially be an awesome way for someone else to make a cache with clues to the TB's page, where people looking at a cache owner's TBs wouldn't see the clue. I shall ponder this.

Or you could adopt the TB to another cacher. They'd have to put up with fake logs. Which we all do anyway. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

kunarion

SE7

Groundspeak can remove a listing. Maybe they'd have some ideas.

You could design the TB's page as you like, and leave it locked. People who find the tracking number can find the page, but can't post a log. That could be a handy place to store clues to a Mystery Cache. It would especially be an awesome way for someone else to make a cache with clues to the TB's page, where people looking at a cache owner's TBs wouldn't see the clue. I shall ponder this.

Or you could adopt the TB to another cacher. They'd have to put up with fake logs. Which we all do anyway. :anicute:

Thanks again for all your help. I will think about it.

Thanks.

SE7

Sounds like you made one critical error: allowed the tracking number to be seen online.

Newbie mistake, and I did EXACTLY the same thing with my first one. Worse, actually; not fully understanding how it all worked, I put the number in the description! The first person that found it in a cache sent me a message before any bogus logs appeared. Thanks to him or her.

If you still like this idea of owning a trackable, then maybe you could just chalk this one up as a (not very) expensive mistake, ask GS to delete it, and buy another one.

Next time, well, you know.

-------------

If they won't delete it, then you could lock the page so no new logs can be filed, and put a note up there asking a finder to mail it back to you - you pay the postage. Keep it in your collection.

OR, send a message to the next person that 'grabs' it, asking for it back. I'd send it if I got it, and I wouldn't even make you pay the postage.

SE7

It sounds like you haven't released the TB yet. If that is correct, I'd suggest just leaving it locked for a while (a month or more) after deleting all the bogus logs. Get another TB and don't post the tracking number. I have quite a few TBs and still consider them fun to watch. I get a few bogus logs, mainly from lists that have been passed around at events, occasionally from someone posting the tracking number in their log for the cache where they picked it up or dropped it.