Planting a cache away from home location (but frequent visitor)

AVexedBardHiker

My teenage son and I started yesterday and he's really excited about creating a cache once we've played for a while (he's starting making one, and I've told him we can place it once we have a number of finds logged). We'd like to place one near his mom's house, but that's not marked as my home location. Is it possible to create a cache that is ~100 miles away from your home location if you indicate that it can be maintained in a timely manner, or will it be rejected?

(I'm there /at least/ once per week, plus he can maintain it if I'm unavailable).

If you both are committed to maintenance and are there at least once a week, you're probably okay. The reviewer will ask the details. I suggest finding caches in that area (as well as near home), (1) to get to know cache placement possibilities, and (2) to help show the caching connection to the away-from-home area.

Thanks everybody for the feedback! We'll definitely wait until we've got a good sense of the game and make sure that we stay involved before placing one. Luckily he discovered that a few of his friends are into caching already, so he's already making plans to go out with them, which'll help keep him engaged.

It is good to find as many as possible before succumbing to the urge to place your own. You then get the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't as regards to containers that require minimal maintenance.

My teenage son and I started yesterday and he's really excited about creating a cache once we've played for a while (he's starting making one, and I've told him we can place it once we have a number of finds logged). We'd like to place one near his mom's house, but that's not marked as my home location. Is it possible to create a cache that is ~100 miles away from your home location if you indicate that it can be maintained in a timely manner, or will it be rejected?

(I'm there /at least/ once per week, plus he can maintain it if I'm unavailable).

Does he have his own account?

Finding caches on a regular basis in the area will establish the connection he has to it. Logging those finds under his own account will be a help when he goes to place a cache there.

Guidelines:

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

B.