If you dont have a pen

timjm25

Wish I had saved a photo of the cache logbook after the online log stated "The pencil was gone, so couldn't sign log."  I know I sent it to the cacher who posted the log, but didn't save it.

I happened to know this particular cacher, so know it was an honest mistake ... on her part, as well as mine.  What I mean is: The pencil was painted black; the spiral binding was painted black.  The pencil was tucked into the spiral binding.  To her, it blended in so much that she couldn't see it.

You might only understand if you're "of a certain age". 

(I laughed at her anyway.)

log with pencil2.jpg

Edited by VAVAPAM
found it
  • Funny 3
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2016 at 10:40 AM, timjm25 said:

Dear Community,

If you dont happen to have a pen, which I do 90% of the time, is an emailed photo of the cache to the cache owner also an acceptable form of proof of finding it.

Thank you.

-Tim

i always forget too. (im dumb so i usually just log it online) i don't recommend but im just saying

On 7/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, VAVAPAM said:

Wish I had saved a photo of the cache logbook after the online log stated "The pencil was gone, so couldn't sign log."  I know I sent it to the cacher who posted the log, but didn't save it.

I happened to know this particular cacher, so know it was an honest mistake ... on her part, as well as mine.  What I mean is: The pencil was painted black; the spiral binding was painted black.  The pencil was tucked into the spiral binding.  To her, it blended in so much that she couldn't see it.

You might only understand if you're "of a certain age". 

(I laughed at her anyway.)

log with pencil2.jpg

Oh that's funny!.

13 minutes ago, spookypants said:

i always forget too. (im dumb so i usually just log it online) i don't recommend but im just saying

I've had cachers make long trips back to their car when they realized their pen was gone. Then all the way back to the cache! 

We laugh when we're on vacation geocaching and Waymarking and can't find a pen in the car. Even though we had fifty between us a few days ago. Where the heck do they go?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
Just now, Max and 99 said:

I've had cachers make long trips back to their car when they realized their pen was gone. Then all the way back to the cache! 

We laugh when we're on vacation geocaching and Waymarking and can't find a pen in the car. Even though we had fifty between us a few days ago. Where the heck do they go?

i have no idea where

38 minutes ago, spookypants said:

I can see where someone just learning the hobby, and with only a few finds forgets time to time, but always ?      

Luckily you don't have COs running out to check logs right now.     Nice you're in the part of your state where you can still cache.     :)

There's no requirement to have a pen/pencil in a cache either, in case you didn't know.  All ours are gone by maintenance anyway... 

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I can see where someone just learning the hobby, and with only a few finds forgets time to time, but always ?      

Luckily you don't have COs running out to check logs right now.     Nice you're in the part of your state where you can still cache.     :)

There's no requirement to have a pen/pencil in a cache either, in case you didn't know.  All ours are gone by maintenance anyway... 

yeah, well i have forgotten for all 8 of my finds. lol. yeah, but i can't hide a cache, and even tho i don't have much experience i was planning on hiding one, got my container set up and everything.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

On one occasion my pen wouldn't work so I went back to the car and grabbed the spare. It didn't want to work either. I came back another day, signed the log, then logged the find. Another time I discovered I had left my pen in the car after a long bush bash down a mountain side. I found a burnt twig nearby that (roughly) did the job.

10 minutes ago, colleda said:

On one occasion my pen wouldn't work so I went back to the car and grabbed the spare. It didn't want to work either. I came back another day, signed the log, then logged the find. Another time I discovered I had left my pen in the car after a long bush bash down a mountain side. I found a burnt twig nearby that (roughly) did the job.

I have used a burnt stick too. I photographed that signature, as charcoal can rub off. Really no worse than the pens some people use, which bleed out as soon as the log gets some moisture.

In February I was visiting Cairns and went caching with a pen and a backup pen. First pen runs out of ink, so I pull out the backup pen. About one signature later it runs out of ink. I found a souvenir shop and bought a (crappy) souvenir pen, but it did the job for that day.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

Every time I leave the geomobile in search of a smiley I check my pockets to see that I have my GPS, my hit list and my pen. Just like I check for my pkys before I close the door to my home. Its now second nature.

And do you re-check every time you walk away from a hide?

I leave pens places, sometimes.

I always have a pen, They may not always work but I have em. Once I went after a FTF, Got 2 pens so I am good to go. Got to the cemetery, Found the cache..Aw nice, New, Unsigned log. Dug my trusty ink stick out of my pocket...Crap, No worky. Cool, I'll just walk the 50ft back to the truck and grab my spare. So I grab the pen & I walk back to GZ, Got back to the cache site and that pen too said..Nope, Not today! So I laughed, The pen laughed and the cache just gave the pen and I both a look of amusement.

So I drive off to find the closest convenience store to get a NEW pen. Needless to say after getting back, that once new, unsigned log now a nice new sig...And now I carry a combo of about a dozen pens, pencils, Fine tip magic markers and even Crayons.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
17 hours ago, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot said:

I always have a pen, They may not always work but I have em. Once I went after a FTF, Got 2 pens so I am good to go. Got to the cemetery, Found the cache..Aw nice, New, Unsigned log. Dug my trusty ink stick out of my pocket...Crap, No worky. Cool, I'll just walk the 50ft back to the truck and grab my spare. So I grab the pen & I walk back to GZ, Got back to the cache site and that pen too said..Nope, Not today! So I laughed, The pen laughed and the cache just gave the pen and I both a look of amusement.

So I drive off to find the closest convenience store to get a NEW pen. Needless to say after getting back, that once new, unsigned log now a nice new sig...And now I carry a combo of about a dozen pens, pencils, Fine tip magic markers and even Crayons.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was a very underappreciated movie.

It wasn't very good, but it WAS underappreciated.

Who needs a safecracker?

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot said:

...And now I carry a combo of about a dozen pens, pencils, Fine tip magic markers and even Crayons.

One we cache with once in a while always has a golf pencil  in a pocket.  Never needs ink.   ;)

The rare time they have issues with a pen, they always have that back-up.  Every bag we use has at least one golf pencil now too.

I always have a ultra-fine sharpie, and a Fisher bullet pen in one of the cargo pocket organizers.  The other 2/3rds likes G2s.

- But I've kept a bullet pen refill in my wallet years before this hobby.   :)

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot said:

Perhaps a quill pen fashioned from a turkey feather? Served our ancestors quite well in days one by. I personally carry a few pints of red ink everywhere i go, although I am loathe to use it except for the most pressing needs, like say a FTF :)

• Funny 2
2 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

Perhaps a quill pen fashioned from a turkey feather? Served our ancestors quite well in days one by. I personally carry a few pints of red ink everywhere i go, although I am loathe to use it except for the most pressing needs, like say a FTF :)

Aw, quill pen! Also would look quite dashing in ma hat!. That's the one mark maker that I do not have. I too have used the ol' red ink method...albeit unintentionally. :wacko: