If you dont have a pen

timjm25

Am I the only one who still is fascinated by the fact, that nowadays carrying a simple pen is worth to be discussed while having a digital camera always on-site just is a matter of course?

LOL. Good point. I hadn't thought about the fact that the question is approximately "I can't be bothered to always carry a pen, so is it OK to claim the find if I take a picture of it with the camera I always carry with me?" In a year or two, they'll probably be able to sign their names using the printer built into their smartphones.

When that camera is built into the GPS device, is it really that fascinating? You can do a spontaneous geocaching search without a writing device, but it's hard to do one without a GPS. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I still pay for dial-phone service. I never updated to touch-tone, so they can't charge me the extra ten cents a month!

I stuck with dial service for as long as I could, but they stopped supporting it here in California a few decades ago. I never minded dialing to begin with, but it was especially delicious because they charged extra for touch tone for many years even though it cost them way more to support that handful of dial lines they were charging less for.

Am I the only one who still is fascinated by the fact, that nowadays carrying a simple pen is worth to be discussed while having a digital camera always on-site just is a matter of course?

LOL. Good point. I hadn't thought about the fact that the question is approximately "I can't be bothered to always carry a pen, so is it OK to claim the find if I take a picture of it with the camera I always carry with me?" In a year or two, they'll probably be able to sign their names using the printer built into their smartphones.

I'm dreading the day when someone will be able to 3D-print a crappy throwdown container in the field with their phone. <_<

I won't even bother signing some logs.

I open up a cache to see a very moldy wet/damp log - it gets a Found and NM (maybe an NA if there have already been NMs), but I'm not going to handle that mess and attempt to write in mold when the CO could care less.

Button nano owners can't check the scroll. Most of those squiggles could never be tracked and deciphered. Never heard of a nano owner who checks. What's the point of the aggravation? It's an exercise in futility.

In both cases I will document the find with a photo.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Don't state in your log "found it but did not sign it". That opens up that can of worms. B)

This ^

Only 0.01% of COs actually check signatures anyway.

But, with Thanksgiving coming up, you may want to act like a puritan. In that case, just log a note saying you forgot your pen. Come back later with a pen and then you can sign the logbook, and log it as a find. (I'm from Canada, and our thanksgiving is already over, so I don't have to worry about the whole puritan thing till next year...)

just log a note saying you forgot your pen. Come back later with a pen and then you can sign the logbook, and log it as a find. (I'm from Canada, and our thanksgiving is already over, so I don't have to worry about the whole puritan thing till next year...)

Yes! There are a bunch of logs on my caches "I forgot my pen" ...so I'm counting it as a Find because I frankly cannot stand the cache nor its location and want to forget the whole ordeal, I couldn't be bothered to do even the most basic "find the cache and sign the log" and I can never return, and let's never mention it again, it's all so very very traumatizing...

I would much prefer a Note "Will be back when I've saved up enough to buy a pen" or whatever the issue is, with the actual Found It after signing. With non-pen logs on my caches, the "Finder" often doesn't even open the container. Is the log missing? Is the container lid stuck? They don't even know, and the non-pen "Found It" provides me with no information about cache condition.

But I'm pretty sure those guys weren't Canadian.

Edited by kunarion

just log a note saying you forgot your pen. Come back later with a pen and then you can sign the logbook, and log it as a find. (I'm from Canada, and our thanksgiving is already over, so I don't have to worry about the whole puritan thing till next year...)

Yes! There are a bunch of logs on my caches "I forgot my pen" ...so I'm counting it as a Find because I frankly cannot stand the cache nor its location and want to forget the whole ordeal, I couldn't be bothered to do even the most basic "find the cache and sign the log" and I can never return, and let's never mention it again, it's all so very very traumatizing...

I would much prefer a Note "Will be back when I've saved up enough to buy a pen" or whatever the issue is, with the actual Found It after signing. With non-pen logs on my caches, the "Finder" often doesn't even open the container. Is the log missing? Is the container lid stuck? They don't even know, and the non-pen "Found It" provides me with no information about cache condition.

But I'm pretty sure those guys weren't Canadian.

maybe that one is an inside joke ?

Dear Community,

If you dont happen to have a pen, which I do 90% of the time, is an emailed photo of the cache to the cache owner also an acceptable form of proof of finding it.

Thank you.

-Tim

This depends entirely on the placer. Some will not mind at all, others will actually audit their logs and delete any that aren't physically verifiable.

As for mine, if you're geocaching and finding one of my caches, odds are good that you are already pretty well scraped up so just find a twig and sign in blood! That's what we usually do :lol:

I stuck with dial service for as long as I could, but they stopped supporting it here in California a few decades ago. I never minded dialing to begin with, but it was especially delicious because they charged extra for touch tone for many years even though it cost them way more to support that handful of dial lines they were charging less for.

HUH? I was still using my Western Electric 302 rotary until just a few short years ago when I finally got fed up with all the robocalls. Tempted to hook it back up on my other line.

Dear Community,

If you dont happen to have a pen, which I do 90% of the time, is an emailed photo of the cache to the cache owner also an acceptable form of proof of finding it.

Thank you.

-Tim

Find a way to sign the log. I would not consider the picture unless it proved you were actually holding the log in your hand. If you send me a picture of the cache that is hanging 40' up a tree then you'd better just go find a ladder.

Dear Community,

You don't have a pen 90% of the time when you go caching??

A photo proof of visit is called Waymarking. Geocaching is finding the cache and signing the physical log. :)

Don't state in your log "found it but did not sign it". That opens up that can of worms. B)

This ^

But, with Thanksgiving coming up, you may want to act like a puritan. In that case, just log a note saying you forgot your pen. Come back later with a pen and then you can sign the logbook, and log it as a find. (I'm from Canada, and our thanksgiving is already over, so I don't have to worry about the whole puritan thing till next year...)

hey, now that thanksgiving is over, we don't need to worry about acting like a puritan. Just do what seems right to you. Just know that there is a chance that if your name is not in the log book, the CO could delete your online log.

I've taken a twig, lit it on fire, extinguished said fire (and ember), then used the soot remaining on the twig as a makeshift pencil. Quick and dirty writing device

Of course, if you don't have a lighter handy...

...then you use grass, leaves or dirt, combined with key or fingernail or stick or stone. I've done it more than once. I've written about it and attached photos in different threads more than once. There's *never* a reason not to sign the log if the log is in your hands.

Some people think "sign" means a full signature. Not needed. Tiny sheet, almost full, in a micro? Pull out, say, a red pen. Put a red dot to the right of cacher "John Doe's" signature. In the log say "I signed by putting a red dot next to John Doe's signature."

But again, grass or leaves work wonderfully when there's no pen.

Edited by wmpastor

I've taken a twig, lit it on fire, extinguished said fire (and ember), then used the soot remaining on the twig as a makeshift pencil. Quick and dirty writing device

...then you use grass, leaves or dirt, combined with key or fingernail or stick or stone. I've done it more than once. I've written about it and attached photos in different threads more than once. There's *never* a reason not to sign the log if the log is in your hands.

Some people think "sign" means a full signature. Not needed. Tiny sheet, almost full, in a micro? Pull out, say, a red pen. Put a red dot to the right of cacher "John Doe's" signature. In the log say "I signed by putting a red dot next to John Doe's signature."

What if you find yourself caching naked in the middle of a non-green-friendly area of a city and you've just cut your nails?

More seriously, I used to sometimes not sign the log and expect owners to be understanding. Then I realised every once in a while someone will think about this in a different way than I do, so now I always sign it.

However, I don't mind it if people prefer not to sign the log but they have in fact found the cache. What really annoys me is when the cache is gone (or, worse, suspected to be gone) but someone logs a find anyway and attaches "a photolog" or just an excuse.

What really annoys me is when the cache is gone (or, worse, suspected to be gone) but someone logs a find anyway and attaches "a photolog" or just an excuse.

But that counts as a find when I'm caching naked in the middle of a non-green-friendly area of a city and I've just cut my nails.

:laughing:

What if you find yourself caching naked in the middle of a non-green-friendly area of a city and you've just cut your nails?

Glad you raised that point!

First point of attack is to avoid those circumstances.

But in other cases, knowing that I'm human and can forget my pen, I make sure to carry a green leaf and a coin at all times! ((They're in my right hand, and the gpsr in my left.)

;)

My wife and I have walked back to the vehicle a couple dozen times through the years over a forgotten writing instrument, and nothing around to get creative with. This time was her turn, walking back to the truck. The red truck, right side of pic. Now both of us keep a small pen attached to our respective key rings... as long as we lock the vehicle and remember to take the key rings with us....

blink.gif

45969e53-5fc1-4af4-b650-2833b8087e29_l.jpg

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

This ^

hey, now that thanksgiving is over, we don't need to worry about acting like a puritan. Just do what seems right to you. Just know that there is a chance that if your name is not in the log book, the CO could delete your online log.

You can't just be a part-time puritan. That's just not puritanical.

f91480d6-b8a7-49f3-906a-0c16331036bd.jpg

Sign the log to confirm the find is one of the pleasant "old school" rules that geocaching maintains. If you think aboutit, it's pretty much the only rule that a finder has to follow. As long as the rule exists, it's a defense against devolving into Munzeeville. Personally I wish the rule was the cache had to contain a pen or pencil ("forcing" the cache to be bigger than a pencil, but that ship has sailed).

I've done the burnt stick charcoal "signing" but mostly on those occasions when I've forgotten a pen or the log is too wet to sign, and I've remembered to bring the camera/cell phone, I take a photo of the cache log and post that with my log. Oftentimes the time the signatures listed do not match the cache page logs...When maintaining my own caches, I do match up the signatures with the logs, deleting those not on it and sending a reminder to ones that signed the log but didn't log it, in case they meant too. The closer to the road, the more often people "forget" to sign in. Go figure...

edexter

• Upvote 2

Im pretty sure these days more people carry lighters than pens. Being a writer of sorts I have little choice but to carry a notebook (or alternatively my security officer notepad) and pen around with me. Like everyone else, though, these items do get forgotten.

Buy hey, what do I know? I've only just started (despite creating an account 6 years ago).

It seems to me a selfie with you holding the log is a whole lot more proof than some squiggles in charcoal or leaf juice or even pencil on a wet log. A selfie would also eliminate the possibility of people signing in for others too.

Since there is no monetary reward or great recognition for finding a geocache, geocaching has always been largely on the honor system. I don't see any reason to get bent out of shape on this. Especially since, as noted, most cache owners don't compare the log to the find claims and even more unlikely to remove somebody's entry because of it. Personally I'd be more interested in an interesting and humorous entry about how you found it but were unable to sign it than a boring one-line "TFTC" entry by somebody who actually did sign it. Geocaching is more about the stories than about the rules.

On the flip side, I've seen logs that have been signed by people that didn't get around to claiming their find online. I'm pretty sure I've done that too. Gone out geocaching with relatives while on a trip, no internet service at the campsite (my brother in particular comes prepared with a list of potential targets). Forget about it by the time I get home, or forget the cache names and don't want to search around to figure out which one it was.

Edited by BogWalker
  • Upvote 1

space pens work great on wet paper.

I can also recommend Uni-Ball Signo pens. Gel pens that have a non-soluble ink intended to make it impossible for forgers to alter on checks. Writes on wet paper well, and does not dissolve later. One oddity, does not write well on Rite in the Rain paper.

Wow. We are still talking about this in connection to an activity centered around finding containers and signing the (presumably paper) log within.

I would have thought this was pretty open and shut. Certainly I would not have expected this to go five months and two pages.

One oddity, does not write well on Rite in the Rain paper.
Yeah, there are some log materials that are incompatible with one writing implement or another. Thus, I carry an assortment of pens when I'm geocaching: a Fisher Space Pen, a Pilot gel pen, and a Sharpie. So far, at least one of them has been able to sign the log, no matter what material it's made of, or what condition it's in.

Why does it even matter if I prove my sucess.

SOmetimes I just hit Found it and don`t bother fiddling with the log. Especially minis - they are too troublesome for me to want to bother with them + I like paper of a certain size and my daughter appreciates the trades.

Well, maybe right now you simply haven't done enough to get yourself noticed.

We've experienced people known for caching without signing logs (a CO notices and passes the info on to others), and most eventually just start getting their finds deleted until they do. :)

To this subject, I would say if I don't have a pen to sign a log I would not log it as found. I am a person who thinks that if I don't sign it, it does not count.

BTW, If a log is full, where or what can I do? Also where can I get OFFICIAL logs?

Well, there no 'official' logs.

Somewhere on the website you can download templates for different types of logbooks, logsheets, etc. that have Groundspeak's logo on them, and you can buy pre-printed logs from opportunistic entities out there, but I just make my own.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

I bought a bundle of pens for caching and leave them in my car. I also have two pens in my backpack when I go on long hikes. I also intend on leaving the house with a pen in hand.

Yesterday I went caching and after returning to my car for a water break I somehow left my pen somewhere and could not find it. I didn't realize this until after I left and went back out caching. Luckily I had my two backups in my backpack.

I've lost pens along the way.

I've pulled a pen out to sign a log, only to find it's out of ink.

I've found soaked logs where signing isn't even an option.

And yes, I've reached GZ and opened a cache only to realize that yes, as a human being with faults and failings like everyone else, I simply forgot to grab my pen before getting out of my car which is a quarter mile away.

I sign when I can, but I also don't stress out when I can't for whatever reason. I think anyone who does maybe ought to lighten up. Just a little. Sh...ummm...stuff happens.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I regard signing the log as an important part of the game. If I have come out without a pen, then I don't look for geocaches. I am not above adding a piece of paper to the cache if the log is full or wet, however, but every cache I have counted has something with my name on in it.

• Upvote 1

I always wonder why someone would go caching without a pen, which would be required to sign the log. The signature on the log being proof that you found the cache.

Well, we all *plan* to. Just like we plan to eat our vegetables and get more exercise.

But not have a pen 90% of the time?